• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

How do you justify expensive purchases?

I do this a lot with clothing because I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm super frugal when it comes to it. If I see a shirt I kind of like that's over $50, I hesitate on whether I need/want it, and whether it's worth the price tag. I usually end up not bothering.

Other large non-necessity items (which are typically anime figures, tech, video games, and plush for me) that I love/want, I'll purchase without waiting around because I have a better sense of the value/quality and what I enjoy. That said, I do have a monthly budget for hobby purchases. If 10 figure pre-orders I want somehow surface within a month, ranging from $100-$200 each, I'm going to be more selective on what I want most.

I don't need to justify my purchases - if I want something and I have the money (and it's worth the price of course) I buy it. Usually I only calculate with half of the "free" money I actually own and let the rest accumulate, it's very rare that I'm low on money.

I buy a lot of my games only when I get used copies for a hood price, and yes, that often means a year or more of diligent ebay stalking.

I wait a month to see if I actually want it. And I never spend money I don't have set aside for "fun" expenses.

It helps also that I don't like owning a lot of things, partially because of storage issues (my room is tiny) and also because I feel like it's a waste having tons of items I don't ever use/wear. So, I can justify spending a little more on less items than buying tons of cheap items.

Next month is going to be a big purchase month for me because of games coming out and Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales happening. I want to get a new laptop so I have to reason why my current one isn't doing its job. Outdated specs, faulty audio port, doesn't sleep properly, and it's about 5 years old. I also want a new TV for my room but I'm still debating that one. It is a couple of years old and works fine, but it is not that big and I would like to go bigger on it. It is a very basic TV that supports 1080p. Sometimes if it's a special occasion I will leverage that more over if I really "need" it. I have a little more leisure money to spend since I am not paying rent and don't have to pay many bills though I generally am saving up my money.

if i have to think about it, i don’t buy it. i’ve been an impulsive buyer for years now but i’ve been trying to be a bit more cautious with my money and so now, if i hesitate when making a purchase, i won’t go through with it as i only want to spend my money on stuff that i either need or really want and so if i hesitate, i’ll conclude that it isn’t that important to me and i’ll save my money for something else. that way, whenever i do purchase something expensive, i’ll know it’s something that was important to me and not a purchase that i’d regret later c’:

I can justify it because my passions are what keep me sane and happy and also I’m not an adult yet.

Generally I won't purchase anything over $100. I definitely have a slight problem with making unnecessary $20-$30 purchases online (eg: I ordered a custom notebook with Cornimer's face on it a couple months ago), but any three-digit figure will stop me in my tracks lol.

I’d be happy to just randomly wake up and fork over 600 nook miles tickets on Nookazon for a random cat villager! Maybe I need to work on my impulse buys hahahahaahaha

I just give it a lot of time to think about it before buying something. I've always been cautious with my money.

I just give it a lot of time to think about it before buying something. I've always been cautious with my money.
Yeah this too. Usually I buy when stores have discounts too. The longest I thought/slept on was this artist-print grateful dead kimono that I ended up buying, it's beautiful though and no regrets.

i never impulse buy anything expensive, i wait a few days or even weeks and see if i still want it. i think about it a lot, i’m a bit hesistant to spend money in general and especially larger sums.

i think it’s good to wait and think before buying something, but i personally need to remember that i am allowed to spend my own money which i have earned on things i want and would find happiness in, and not just things i need. i’m really good at saving my money (which is made possible by the fact that i live with my parents, of course not everyone is in a position where they are able to save money) so once in a while i should let myself have a treat and buy something i want which is a bit more expensice than i would like.

at the moment i’m eyeing a switch lite so i can have a second island... ahhh, i’m thinking about it and looking up prices, both second hand (which is a little risky) and new, same with another copy of the game... should i buy it or should i forget about it... hmmm.

I'm a huge believer in time being the best coupon. If I see something on a sale I can't refuse, I'm getting it. That way I can't feel bad about it, since I got a great value. If not... Then my husband will pick up the slack.

[ Dinic ]

Being a system makes it so need to prevent impulse buying, if everyone did it we'd be flat broke :v

we usually wait a few days to a week and try to find a better deal for something and then we see if it's something that will last us or not. we're more likely to spend more on house appliances we'll use regularly or a video game than say treats or attractions. we also have a rule of not spending money on online games because it probably won't be worth it in the long run

I have a lot of trouble with this myself.
I was going to order myself some new clothes online because I am due for some.
300$ worth of items in the cart and I abandoned it. My mind wouldn't let me justify it. I kept telling myself 300$ could be better spent somewhere else. I had the money set aside for this exactly and I just couldn't pull the trigger. I kept thinking if I had an emergency or if I was in a pinch I'd need this money elsewhere. I have a alot of buyers remorse even though it's something that I enjoy, love and deserve. I feel this stems from not having a ton of money growing up. Im very conscious about how much money I spend.

BUT...any who!

I think waiting a while before making a big purchase is ideal. Make sure you're getting your money's worth.
Have all bases covered and make sure you're not going to put yourself in a tight spot financially before making the purchase.

Normally I leave stuff in my basket for a while before making a final decision! It helps now that some companies send discounts for items you've left at checkout to encourage you to go back.

You see something at the store/online that you want really badly and then check out the price. You cringe a little and it causes you to hesitate on clicking "order." What do you usually do next? Do you decide to just wait until a better deal comes along? Do you buy it anyway?

For me personally? I do tend to look around in most cases for better prices regarding the things I want, especially around the holiday season if it were coming up. However, in most cases, against my better judgement, I often would just buy it.

I figure that life is just far too short and there is never a gaurentuee that you may get another chance to get what you want or desire. I want to be happy in this life and if it means just spending some of the money I had earned to give me that happiness, then I will. I won't continuously make more expensive purchases after it though of course but finding that balance between working and paying bills and treating yourself to your happy is always something most should try to do in my opinion 😄

I have some personal rules I try and follow.

First rule, keep at least £50 aside for special occasions like being invited for drinks somewhere, travelling somewhere unfamiliar, or day out with the fella. Situations where I can’t reasonably predict how much my expenses will be, I try and prepare for in advance.

Second rule, if you’re buying a £40 coat from Primark, buy a £40 coat from an expensive store instead. You may as well be getting your money’s worth if it’s a similar price at a better store.

Third rule, shop almost exclusively at charity shops. Not only are you supporting a good cause, but they’re always super cheap, and certain things will be a valuable investment. For instance, I wanted some work pants from a store that had a design I liked, but I decided I couldn’t justify it, but then found it for 50% less at a charity shop literally a week or two later.

Fourth and final rule, check AliExpress first, you dumb dumb.

I'm broke atm, but my personal rule for pricey buys is to consider the availability and the need. For example, how long will this be for sale/how limited in supply is it, and how much do I actually need it?

If it's something I likely won't be able to get in the future, or something that would really aid me at the moment, I'll get it. If not, it can wait. (Especially if it has a chance of going down in price.)

Back