How do you eat your French toast?

How do you eat your French toast?

• Sweet: syrup, sugar, fruits, etc.

• Savoury: fried veggies, meats, cheeses, etc.

• Plain: just maybe some salt

• Other: please comment your response

• I don't like French toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
By putting a slice of butter, syrup, and powdered sugar on top.

French toast is one of my favorite dinner options! I sometimes add fruits such as blueberries or sliced strawberries to my batter instead of as a topping and eat it as-is. If I'm feeling extra fancy, I'll drizzle a bit of maple syrup on top. Too much syrup = a soggy mess.

Try to plan for french toast ahead of time so I can leave the bread out before I soak it in the egg mixture. Love using baguettes for it. :)

I often see people adding cinnamon or powdered sugar on top where I live but have not tried either.

With real maple syrup - none of that fake stuff in my house - and a little butter. Pretty much the same way I'd eat pancakes.

It's most commonly served as a breakfast item here (United States). I've not heard of it as a savory dish, but now I'm intrigued.

I've literally never heard of anyone eating french toast with veggies/salt/etc that just doesn't even sound right lol. but to each their own I guess :p

by veggies i mean breakfast-y veggies that i would typically eat anyway with breakfast. Tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach etc. -- to me they sound like perfect addition to French toast as i already have it kind of savoury, but i can see why it would sound weird if you're used to the sweet kind :lemon:!

Savoury-French-Toast-Mushrooms-1C.jpg

There’s a bakery/café nearby and they have these t h i c c french toast with whipped cream and sliced strawberries and then caramel syrup to sprinkle on the french toast. My mom gets it sometimes for breakfast. Not a healthy thing to eat for breakfast everyday but it’s so good. 😋

Sweet. Usually with syrup, sometimes with powdered sugar or whipped cream 😋
Post automatically merged:

I have literally never heard of savory French toast before this thread, and now I’m intrigued.

I live in the US and I've only heard of sweet French Toast. Although, now that you've explained the savory kind, it does sound like it could be good with tomatoes and mushrooms.

At home, I usually add a little bit of butter, some cinnamon, and lots of maple syrup to mine. At restaurants, they are typically served with powdered sugar and syrup. I wouldn't mind adding some fruits if they are available.

I don't eat breakfast, when French Toast is typically served here, but I will have it for brunch or dinner sometimes.

I've only ever had sweet French Toast with syrup. I can see the savory being healthier and probably tasting good though, might give it a try sometime.

I'm just surprised that i'm not the only one who doesn't like french toast.
But if I were to like it, i'd definitely have it sweet.

I am the only to vote savory so far 😆 I like putting ketchup on the French toast and have eggs/salt next to or on it, which I think would be considered savory? I think trying it with cheese and green peppers would be good also...

For sure, I don't like anything sugary for breakfast 🙅‍♂️

Sweet. Cream or milk (whichever I have on hand), egg, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, pinch of salt. Dip bread. Cook in melted butter.

Top with syrup.

I was today years old when I first heard about savory french toast. I honestly have never heard nor even imagined to make french toast savory. It's fascinating how tightly connected french toast + sweet toppings are that I never even considered it. I have to give this a go now, but I do usually just go with sugary toppings

Never had it before.
But here in Denmark I have had something similar called Arme riddere (poor knights) and it's french toast with butter, sugar, and cinnamon.

Sweet (a lil bit of syrup and fresh fruit) with a side of savory (bacon and eggs) Although I will say, I don’t eat French toast that often. I’m more of a waffles gal. But that picture up there with the veggies look bomb! I will have to give it a try some day.

I don’t like eggs. I can eat it inside baked things but if I see it hanging off of toast, it just reminds me of what it is and where it came from.

I like it with pure maple syrup and maybe some cinnamon, with a side of eggs. I don't eat it too often, though.

I have it sweet with fruit and syrup. I thought that was the point of French toast, to make pancakes out of regular bread.

sweet! syrup, and it's always fun with a restaurant will put powdered sugar on it 😋 i eat fruits with it but i don't put berries on it/eat with the french toast, it's on the side. simiilarly with bacon or sausage, it'll be a side dish but not on the french toast itself. i've never heard of putting veggies/meat/salt on it, though! i wonder if it's a cultural thing.
french toast is my favorite breakfast food! so good.

I do the typical sweet route vanilla extract and syrup.
The savory aspect seems pretty interesting, maybe I will look up a recipe one day.

Back