• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How did you discover animal crossing?

Discovered the GC version over at a relatives house in canada in 2006. just sat on a shelf gathering dust, booted it up and played it, I fell in love instantly, when I got my DS in 2005 I brought WW asap and from there it caried on until I brought NL. the only game versions I don't own is HHD and the GameCube version.

you know what...i can't really remember how i heard of it. i feel like i had always heard of the title animal crossing, but i wanna say it wasn't until 10th grade (2008) that i heard more about it. i moved schools and made different kinds of friends. but i wasn't a gaming person back then, apart from the sims and a left 4 dead 2, which i played with my close friend.

what i really can't remember is what led me to choosing animal crossing when i decided to get a 3ds. i've mentioned it around here a couple of times, but i got a 3ds to play pokemon x. they were having a special deal where you'd get pokemon x for free if you buy the 3ds + another game, so i chose ACNL as that game! i swear i must've watched some let's plays or something but at the same time i feel as if i didn't watch new leaf LPs until after i got into the game?

so yeah, long story short, i decided to get it as my first 3ds game (and my first AC game), and here i am!!

I think I originally discovered it randomly by looking at 3DS games on Amazon. I tend to get really depressed and loaded with anxiety, and after seeing a lot of reviews by people with the same issues as me stating how the game helped them feel more calm and relaxed I decided to try it. It also helped that I've always liked games where you can customize and design things, and I also love animals.

I started with ACGC and loved it. I kept my town going for almost two years. Once in a while I'd use another memory card to make another town to visit since I didn't know anybody else that played it.

Then I just stopped playing even when new versions came out. I started again after watching Chuggaaconroy's ACNL Let's Play on YouTube.

My first game was ACGC. I was five years old, the game had just released, and I was sick at a friend's house. I was watching her play something while I was waiting for my mom to come get me. I had no clue what the game was called, all I could remember from it was her house and how amazing I thought it was, and I had that image stuck in my head forever until maybe a year later when I saw the cover of ACGC at the store and I just knew that was the game I was looking for. I owned my original copy up until last year when my ex decided he was going to steal my video games while I was in the process of moving and pawn them all. I have a new copy, but it's not the same. I never played Wild World much, since I just didn't have that console at the time, but I have every other game and love them all so much, but nothing will ever compare to ACGC to me.

I started on WW.
I think it was back when I ran out of games to play and I was looking for new games. Absolutely fell in love with the series and I now collect AC things xD

My first game was the ANWW and then ACCF now the ACNL, I new about this game through my best friend who had a ds before I did and she recommended me to play, and ever since then I continued with the series xD probably not going to try the new one that's coming out soon, cuz I don't have a wiiu Dx

I started on the original gamecube version. I got hooked by making diary storylines about the evil villagers I hated (Queenie and Jane) as well as the ones I loved (Aurora) up until my gamecube stopped reading disks years later. I haven't played Animal Crossing until last week when I digitally downloaded New Leaf. Aurora is back in my town, and Queenie is not. Good has prevailed!

My first game was the ANWW and then ACCF now the ACNL, I new about this game through my best friend who had a ds before I did and she recommended me to play, and ever since then I continued with the series xD probably not going to try the new one that's coming out soon, cuz I don't have a wiiu Dx

Happy Home Designer is for 3DS :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I started on the original gamecube version. I got hooked by making diary storylines about the evil villagers I hated (Queenie and Jane) as well as the ones I loved (Aurora) up until my gamecube stopped reading disks years later. I haven't played Animal Crossing until last week when I digitally downloaded New Leaf. Aurora is back in my town, and Queenie is not. Good has prevailed!

I used to do that too! Lol they need to bring that feature back in the next game, I miss that xD.

These are all very interesting stories, thank you all so much for sharing! I read every single one :D

I had absolutely no interest in the game until my best friend saved up her money and bought it for herself earlier this year. I didn't even own a 3ds prior to this, but it prompted me to sell my WiiU and use the money to buy a 3ds. I got the game for my birthday a few days later.

i worked at gamestop when NL launched, and I remember getting a ton of customers that came in to buy it.
I had heard of animal crossing before, but never played it. after we sold out multiple times through the week
(and we were a store in an incredibly dead mall, so this was rare) i decided it was time for me to try it out. c':​

Two of my friends had Wild World and showed me how everything worked and I thought it looked pretty cool so I got it and I've been playing ever since! Neither of my friends play anymore though.

I can't remember why, but my parents decided to buy me a Wii. As we were buying it, I was looking for games to buy. At first I was going to get some Nintendogs game, but then I saw the cover for City Folk and I wanted that instead.

my two brothers had the game before me they showed how what to do after i started playing

I was recommended Harvest Moon by someone for the DS so I got it. I wasn't a huge fan so I googled it to see if there was a way to make the days longer. I think somewhere there was a rec for Animal Crossing and when I went into the store next I looked for it. I bought a copy (WW) and started it up.

I remember that I didn't know that it went by in game days so I didn't click that it was day during my daytime and night during my nighttime until I spoke to one of my villagers late at night and they said they had been waiting all day to talk to me. Haha.

My first game was New Leaf :3 Back when it was still fairly new, I kept seeing screenshots of it on Tumblr, probably because of the cute/kawaii blogs I follow :p It definitely looked like the kind of game I'd enjoy- making friends with cute animals, designing your own house and clothes, and whatnot ^u^ So last year I finally got it, and the rest is history XD

Wild World was my first game. It was displayed in an electronic store alongside a DS and you could test-play it there.
I had so much fun playing it there for hours and finally got it the following Christmas.

I saw how cute some of the villagers were and how much you could customize your town! (I was very behind on the hype though as I got my first copy in 2014, haha)

I decided to get it for my Gamecube when I was 12 or 13. I think it was maybe a gift but something I wanted? Anyway I played the original for years, and now I'm getting back into it with New Leaf. Never bothered with the 2 in between.

My first game was New Leaf. My friend let me play with his copy and recommended it to me. I thought the villagers were very cute so I bought it.

Back