• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How did you discover animal crossing?

Through a youtube walkthrough I saw years ago.

my auntie and uncle's friend gave me a copy of Wild World after they didn't want it, and I got City Folk etc.

I can't remember how I discovered AC or when exactly, but I do know that I played the GC version once sometime before Christmas 2007. Either my mum or my dad named my town 'mytown' for me, but that's all I remember from my GC AC experience.

I got a copy of WW for Christmas in 2007, and I still have it to this day. I don't have the same town I had when I first started, though. My first town on WW was called 'mytown' because that's what my GC town was called and I had no idea what else to name it (that's how I know I played the GC version before getting WW). My first few years of playing WW was when I started to discover villagers that I really liked, like Bunnie and Melba.

I got CF around two weeks after my 10th birthday, and I enjoyed playing that as much as WW.

But the game that REALLY got me into AC was, of course, New Leaf. I got that over the summer holidays two years ago, and I've been playing most days since then. And now I'm getting close to having spent 1100+ hours on that game.

I watched someone play it on youtube and I loved it so much that I saved up money to buy a 3ds and the game! I'm so glad I did though, now.

My parents opted to get me a PS2 instead of a Gamecube for my birthday when I was young, so I never got the chance to play GC version (something i'm remedying this Christmas :D). During a trip to GameStop, my mother sort of impulse purchased WW for me. The problem was that I was not used to or interested in the slow day-by-day play style AT ALL. This disinterest made me not even look at CF. When I went to pre-order Pokemon Y, I saw NL and thought "Hey, maybe this version'll be fun." And now I no longer can keep track of how many hours I've invested in this game. XD

Last edited:
I was visiting a friend's house when I was a kid and he was playing Animal Crossing on his GameCube when I arrived. I watched him play it for a little while and decided I wanted my own copy. I got my own soon after and he helped me get started. We played the game together a lot for a period of time and I even managed to get Octavian from his game one time. He wasn't too happy with that considering Octavian was the only octopus at that time. :p

I first heard about AC when my mum got the original DS and WW. Then I wasn't so interested to the point I didn't even know what she was playing. Then in like 2011, my sisters got WW as a little present and I was just interested in the game for some reason and I was totally hooked on it when I played it for the first time! Later my mum ordered WW for me and I loved it! Then I nearly cried with excitement when I heard about and watched New Leaf for the first time on the Japanese Nintendo Direct for it. Was soo pumped for it and now here I am...!

This is going to sound utterly insane to anyone who decides to watch the video, but I heard about Animal Crossing New Leaf from this video by Zero Punctuation. Seriously, don't watch it if you can't handle swearing or people completely bagging Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Even though Yahtzee hated the game and flat told people not to buy it, I was still intrigued as he had managed to describe the essence of it. I hadn't come across a game meant to be played in realtime before, and the only games I played were all: "Go here and solve the puzzle/kill the thing," and Animal Crossing clearly wasn't aimed around combat or puzzles. So I waited six months to make sure it wasn't a passing fancy, then bought a 3DS and a copy of the game. That was 31 March, 2014.

To conclude, for the sake of Zero Punctuation's reputation I feel I ought to state he treats all games like he treated Animal Crossing New Leaf, he didn't just decide to be an unfair unbalanced unserious reviewer for one game. Trust me, this guy's fans don't come back each week because they want to watch a fair, balanced, serious review of a game.

Last edited:
I discovered animal crossing when I baby sat a kid one time. No offense, but the kid was a brat so at least got something good out of it lol.

He has animal crossing city folk I think for DS. That's the first and only one I've played until this one :p

Still debating whether or not to get the new animal crossing (happy home academy). I probably won't tho...too much work and time to get another animal crossing game >~<

I discovered animal crossing when I baby sat a kid one time. No offense, but the kid was a brat so at least got something good out of it lol.

He has animal crossing city folk I think for DS. That's the first and only one I've played until this one :p

Still debating whether or not to get the new animal crossing (happy home academy). I probably won't tho...too much work and time to get another animal crossing game >~<
He was playing Wild World. City Folk was the Wii game.

Preordered GC after seeing articles in Nintendo Power and my family thought it was silly. My young son said why would you buy it.
Caught him playing it two days later. Nice thing about GC was the separate memory cards. Mom got written on mine.

I discovered AC when the GC one came out. I'd seen the commercials, which were weird in a good way, and I think I also saw it advertised and mentioned in Game Players Magazine (which is now out of print). What drew me to it was the ability to decorate your own home and make patterns. I was, and still am, all about customization in games. For whatever reason the Sims never really appealed to me, but I had to get Population: Growing right away! It always amazed me how extensive the villager dialogue was in the game. My husband, meanwhile, just thought I was ridiculous for spending so much time on a game each day. :lemon: I got so attached to my villagers, though, and even recorded a good hour or so of gameplay to VHS one 4th of July.

I later went on to get City Folk and Wild World, though I hated the controls on City Folk so much that I only played a few hours total. I did play Wild World quite a bit, though it does hurt my eyes to look at now. New Leaf spoiled me, haha.

When I was seven, we had a wii. My parents asked gamestop what games they had that'd be great for me, and they reccomended animal crossing city folk/ lets go to the city. And then I saw ads about new leaf and I was like: MOM. I NEED A 3DS AND ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF RIGHT NOW.

I found out about Animal Crossing Wild World while playing Magician's Quest Mysterious Times, which is kind of like a magical version of AC. Then I bought a 3DS just to play New Leaf.

My first ever animal crossing game was new leaf, and the first time i saw it i thought the characters looked cool, but the gameplay wasn't appealing. So a year went past and i needed a new 3ds game that would last me a while, so while searching for top 3ds games i came across animal crossing and thought "there must be a catch" to the popularity, so i started watching gameplay. I was hooked by the charming gameplay and mood, and just everything in the game, so i decided to get it.
i couldn't put the game down, in the first week i had like 30 hours locked in, just fishing and grinding for bells, it was great!!!
i regret not getting it earlyer, and can't wait for future ac games!

I bought a DS and on a whim choose Animal Crossing Wild World. I am so glad that I did! Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I hadn't chosen it...well, I would have a lot more free time but a less whimsical and enriched world :> yes, I love it that much!

- - - Post Merge - - -

*chose, grrr! I hate making typos :'<

When New Leaf came out I saw trailers for it on tv and a bit on youtube and it looked really interesting to me so I got it. :3
Was super addicted for a few months lol, like literally everyday I would go on. XD
I haven't played any of the older versions though, like City Folk or Wild World (I believe those are some of the older titles? I could be wrong though haha). It's a fun game, and I have ditched it a few times tbh. I only got back into it like in late September. XD

Back in 2010 I was having a sleepover with my cousin at my Grandma's house. My cousin was playing AC:WW on her D.S. one night and I was intrigued. Villagers moving in and out? Sending presents? What kind of game was this? I was so curious that I asked for it for Christmas and lo and behold. I was hooked for life. XD

New Leaf is my first AC game. I decided to buy it on a whim because I was getting frustrated with DragonVale and The Simpsons: Tapped Out was getting to be boring. So I played this game and was so hooked I ended up deleting the iPad games and played my 3DS a lot more often.

Back