• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hokko Life

tiffanistarr

🌈🐚🌊🐚🌈
Bells
Bluebird of Happiness Plush
Dreamy Bear Plush
Bee Plush
Dino Plush
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Lily
I came across this simulation style game called Hokko Life. It’s very similar to AC and I’m wondering if anyone has played it or seen anything about it?

I’m kinda interested in trying it, but idk if i’m sold on it quite yet. If you have any experience with this game please let me know!

i haven't played it myself yet, but i do plan to buy it on release day for the switch on the 27th, and i have been sporadically keeping up with it since it was much earlier in development. i like the look of it! obviously since i haven't played it and haven't looked into it extensively (to avoid spoiling myself too much), i can't attest to how different or similiar it will be to ac, but the style is cute enough for me, and i'm always down for more life sims since nh is unfortunately getting really boring after almost a year since the final update. plus, for me, it's only £15, and that's a steal for all the content that i have seen will be in the game. as someone who's never seen the appeal of stardew valley (i don't care for the pixel-y aesthetic, personally), this is much more up my alley until the new story of seasons game.

I've played it. It shines in creativity. Check out YouTube videos about the crafting before you get the game to know whether you would be happy with it or not. It has traditional crafting, but the majority of the game isn't traditional crafting. It's hard to explain..
I think there is about 25 villagers that exist, a couple are hard to trigger a visit from.
The game has farming and traditional crafting, a few flowers, no limit on how many villagers you can have. You can design clothes and share them with others along with items you created via codes.

I just started playing this on Xbox (Xbox instead of Switch mostly for achievements). I'm actually enjoying it a lot so far. It is a VERY shameless Animal Crossing clone...but it also does some things better, IMO. Hard to really explain what those things are in writing...but I think most people will feel them when they experience them. Also, the game is cheap enough that I didn't really feel like I was taking a huge chance on buying it. Seems like Switch, Steam, and Xbox all have a "new release" sale for the game currently...so it only costs something like $15.99...which is pretty cheap for any game.

One thing that I find nice about this game so far, is that the characters all have their own distinct personalities and you can tell that effort went into designing them. (One of the complaints I have about the AC series, is that the characters are mostly the same aside from skin swaps and a personality types). In Hokko Life, there might not be many villagers...but they all feel like fully fleshed out characters with a place in town.

Also, there is no real-time clock. The days are triggered by sleeping in bed, which means no time travel is necessary if you are trying to achieve a goal. I'm finding this a refreshing change from AC, where you are locked into a specific day unless you cheat the clock.

Overall, my enjoyment of this game so far is like a 7 or 8 out of 10. It has flaws...but the charm is there. It isn't just a soulless Animal Crossing clone like it could have been. There is intention in the design of it. And even though I'm already playing on Xbox, I might also buy it for Switch just to have it on a portable format. I wouldn't consider it a waste of money to buy it twice. So...that must mean something.

Last edited:
I wish I could like it but I don't. The movement and text feel sluggish, I'm not a fan of the animals and their dialogue, and all of the concepts feel...shallow? It feels like the game tries to stitch too many loose concepts together while mastering none.

That said, the initial music track is peaceful, and the free reign crafting opportunities you unlock in the future would likely be rewarding if you're into that kind of thing (think MySims only better).

I think I'm someone that prefers to explore a more established world rather than build up my own entirely, meaning this game, unfortunately, is not for me.

Last edited:
i'm a bit meh about it. decent for the price, but lacking for me. i personally would've preferred for it to have its own internal clock a la NL because letting you skip to the next day whenever feels very... i don't know, there's no real choice to slow down because there isn't really anything to do unless you skip. considering that crafting is involved, it bothers me that resources might as well be finite. (unless i'm missing something, you'll always have to chop down and replant trees if you want more wood.) the dialogue is... i like that it's more individual, but it's incredibly short, and nobody's asked me to do anything yet other than what feels like the 'starting' tasks. it's also a pain to go through? speeding it up is super hit or miss for me.

decorating inside your house is either super unclear or super unfriendly. i haven't been able to figure out how to move objects left and right, if that's even an option, and the game hasn't told me. (it doesn't tell you a lot of things. i have no idea how to apply the purple roof i bought either.) the wallpaper and floor i have are super cute though.

the empty days and lack of ability to get wood mean i'm probably still stuck at the starting gate. i didn't want to keep skipping days, but the game makes me feel like i have no choice, which kind of sucks when it's supposed to be a relaxing slice of life sim. there isn't really an option to go at your own pace unless you like catching and selling bugs for at least two hours. (i haven't even seen the fisher yet.)

that being said, if you can get it for the £15 i did, and have the money to spare, i would still probably recommend it. it has its own charm, and just because i dislike most of the villager designs i've seen, doesn't mean you will. it's not like it's unplayable; it gets the job done if you want something to casually play when you need a break or change of pace. plus, i suspect there's still a fair bit i haven't seen, so.

it bothers me that resources might as well be finite. (unless i'm missing something, you'll always have to chop down and replant trees if you want more wood.)

I'm not sure on trees yet...because I haven't unlocked the forest path yet. But, I do know that when you unlock the mine, the rocks within the mine will regenerate. So...I'm thinking the forest will be the same way. I believe that only the resources in your main town are finite.

I'm not sure on trees yet...because I haven't unlocked the forest path yet. But, I do know that when you unlock the mine, the rocks within the mine will regenerate. So...I'm thinking the forest will be the same way. I believe that only the resources in your main town are finite.
oof, i hope so. right now i just have two tree farms on the beach lmao, so it'll be nice if there's a regenerative source further along. (i mean, the town ones are technically regenerative, but three days to regrow is a hassle if you want to take the game slower.)

It looks interesting but I'm concerned it's just a lesser Animal Crossing. The city/interiors design does look pretty cool though and is something I think AC is lacking, so I may eventually check it out for that reason.

i'm not going to lie, the further i 'progress' with this game, the more of a love-hate relationship i develop with it. too many aspects are left totally in the dark for my taste. for example, i had to go trawling through the steam guide to find out that you can't actually decorate your exterior until you've earned a specific mayor merit. so, why let me buy exterior options i can't actually use yet? i can't even drop the roof i have on me, i just have to sell it or wait until it's actually usable. similarly, i can't drop or place the shoes my villagers have gifted me; they're just stuck in my inventory unless i sell them, which i don't want to. (similarly, i also can't drop or place anything handheld. i don't need my axe, shovel or balloon on me 90% of the time, but it's either sell them or let them take up inventory space.) all of this leads into (for me, at least) an inventory issue. i don't know when backpack upgrades become available (i've no doubt that's locked behind a mayor merit they don't tell you about, too), but i haven't seen one in the shop, or any kind of furniture item i could use to store items in the mean time. my inventory is filled with crafting materials that i don't necessarily want to sell because... i'm going to need them? but the game so far hasn't given me much of a choice, and while it's nice that you can drop items without them despawning, you can only (in my experience) drop them individually. so, it's a useless solution for my stack of 40 something stone.

other complaints, because i need to get it off my chest lol: the mine is obscenely dark. even with my switch lite at full brightness, i would need to place a mining torch every three squares to traverse the place without squinting and/or holding the screen up to my face. not being able to talk to villagers while holding anything is... a weird choice. what about my balloon is stopping benny from speaking to me lmao? the steam guide says the fishing npc appears on the east of the beach, but east of the beach is the ocean. i've been assuming it means the pier, but i haven't seen them at all yet, and i don't know if they're only available at a certain time and/or day because nothing even insinuates it. decorating inside... i can't move anything left or right. sometimes, it won't even let me move it up or down. is this another feature locked behind mayor merits, is it completely absent, or is my game bugged six ways to sunday? doesn't tell you.

in ac, you find out pretty quickly that your house is able to be upgraded. in this game? i've no idea if that's even an option. am i stuck with the one, like, 10x10 room, or will rosa eventually give me the option to have additional rooms or at least a bigger single one? it's another thing i wish the game was more upfront about. i know most people will like the ability of being able to decorate everyone's homes at will, but i would've preferred it if they at least had interiors less akin to a shack in the woods to begin with. my two starter villagers have fully decorated homes while the two i've had move in since only have a mattress and old tv to their names lmao. i'm not the decorating type, but at least ac has them come with pre-furnished homes and lets you re-decorate freely. in hokko, you (presumably) have to craft or buy all their furniture yourself. so even if i ever feel so inclined, it's not going to be a long time for that reason alone.

the game is really cute. i do like running around gathering resources and unlocking the new areas, but it's really difficult for me to play sometimes when the most guidance you tend to get is, "can you build/get x for me?" (and sometimes, even that doesn't cooperate. i built someone two benches and placed them in town but then had to go collect them again because the quest refused to progress until i showed him the benches in my inventory first.) a lot of the features are just too unclear for me, and i feel like i'm missing out massively because i've seen the bug npc twice but no sign of the fishing one, and moss doesn't sell a rod in his shop. (or hasn't so far, anyway.) it's not a game i regret getting for the price i paid; i do spend a few hours a day playing it, but i think it suffers from some quality of life issues imo.

^ The fishing NPC will appear after you clean the trash from the lake at the top of the mountain. Pick up all the trash (a major pain for that limited inventory you just mentioned). When you leave the area, you will meet the fishing NPC and he will thank you for cleaning the lake. Then he will appear on the beach when the fishing tourneys happen. The trash piles can just be sold to get rid of them...but they do take a lot of inventory slots (I believe there are four different types of trash piles...so instead of stacking as one thing, you need like 3 or 4 slots to pick it all up).

Anyway, these are all very valid complaints that I agree with. Especially having no storage. Maybe it will unlock later. But for now, I am feeling the lack of a chest or something. I always end up selling things just to open space...and then getting a quest where I could have used something I just sold off. - And the backpack does seem to upgrade with a random merit. Not sure when it happened for me...but I just happened to look at my inventory one time and I had a whole additional row to use. A very confusing way of unlocking upgrades, for sure.

And the quests...yes, I absolutely hate how literal some of them are with the requirements. I did the same thing for the benches. Actually ended up making four of them just because the first two never registered. Then I also learned that I was required to have them in my inventory before placing them. Ugh. Lol

^ The fishing NPC will appear after you clean the trash from the lake at the top of the mountain. Pick up all the trash (a major pain for that limited inventory you just mentioned). When you leave the area, you will meet the fishing NPC and he will thank you for cleaning the lake. Then he will appear on the beach when the fishing tourneys happen. The trash piles can just be sold to get rid of them...but they do take a lot of inventory slots (I believe there are four different types of trash piles...so instead of stacking as one thing, you need like 3 or 4 slots to pick it all up).

Anyway, these are all very valid complaints that I agree with. Especially having no storage. Maybe it will unlock later. But for now, I am feeling the lack of a chest or something. I always end up selling things just to open space...and then getting a quest where I could have used something I just sold off. - And the backpack does seem to upgrade with a random merit. Not sure when it happened for me...but I just happened to look at my inventory one time and I had a whole additional row to use. A very confusing way of unlocking upgrades, for sure.

And the quests...yes, I absolutely hate how literal some of them are with the requirements. I did the same thing for the benches. Actually ended up making four of them just because the first two never registered. Then I also learned that I was required to have them in my inventory before placing them. Ugh. Lol
ah. i did go up there and clear all the trash, but now that you've said it, i think i left one piece because of the inventory limit, and then completely forgot to go back for it lmao. first thing i'm doing when i log on for sure.

Never played it, but I do remember in 2020 when it was first revealed. Looked like a shameless rip-off of Animal Crossing. The animal designs look creepy, but they also implemented a lot of QoL features that I wished were in NH. The game is probably very unpolished however.

The game is probably very unpolished however.
It definitely has an unpolished feel to it. Like I somehow got access to a game still in early development. The villagers, camera, movement, controls, and maybe even the dialogue all need some improvements. I'm currently giving the game about 15 minutes of my time each day. I believe I'm still in the tutorial phase, so it might be too early for me yet.

This game does somethings better than New Horizons. Building a bridge for example. When you're ready to place a bridge in the town, you can use your joysticks and controls to rotate and align the bridge with precession. It's super easy and efficient. In New Horizons/New Leaf, you have to stand in a certain spot and preview the placement with a terrible preview camera angle and repeat until you think it looks right. One you have the right spot for the bridge in Hokko Life, it's instantly there. No donations needed, and waiting a day. To top it off, if you aren't happy with the bridge, you can instantly pick it up and place it somewhere else.

The game doesn't run on a real world clock. So if you're looking for an Animal Crossing-like game that does that, this isn't it. This game runs on a factitious clock. I haven't timed it, but I am guessing 2 minute in real life translates to 10 minutes in game. I'm kind of neutral here because part of me wonders how Animal Crossing might feel if days were faster and you could experience a year of animal crossing without having to wait an entire year in real life.

When it comes to crafting, I've only done simple stuff for the tutorial, but I've been able to experience bulk crafting. Something New Horizons is still lacking to this day.

I think that's all I can say for now.

despite some of my grievances with this game, i think, especially for people commenting that it's "unpolished", it's worth remembering that this game is almost entirely made by a single person, and i think it's very good in that regard. it's not like it has the big teams etc. that games like AC and dreamlight valley have. it's mostly just one dude who wanted to make something other than games that involved killing things.

despite some of my grievances with this game, i think, especially for people commenting that it's "unpolished", it's worth remembering that this game is almost entirely made by a single person, and i think it's very good in that regard. it's not like it has the big teams etc. that games like AC and dreamlight valley have. it's mostly just one dude who wanted to make something other than games that involved killing things.
Oh yeah. I wasn't trashing them for it. I was just making commenting on it.

I've definitely given my thoughts on how NH was handled by a AAA company with a huge team. Stardew Valley made by one person managed to make a much better crafting system than AC and it's not even as integral to the game as it is for NH. Even if a small indie company has more than one person, I give them a bit more slack with what they are going up against. Playtonic made like the 'spirit successor' to Banjo Kazooie and old-school DK Country. They're flawed, but I can see the passion they put in both games.

@JKDOS Yeah those points you brought up with the bridges and furniture placement are kind of what I was implying with how the game looked to have done things better or added QoL that is sorely needed in NH. Which is why I'd give a small company game like this more slack than NH. The creator probably saw the complaints and comments directed to NH and aimed to implement them better in his game.

Oh yeah. I wasn't trashing them for it. I was just making commenting on it.

I've definitely given my thoughts on how NH was handled by a AAA company with a huge team. Stardew Valley made by one person managed to make a much better crafting system than AC and it's not even as integral to the game as it is for NH. Even if a small indie company has more than one person, I give them a bit more slack with what they are going up against. Playtonic made like the 'spirit successor' to Banjo Kazooie and old-school DK Country. They're flawed, but I can see the passion they put in both games.

@JKDOS Yeah those points you brought up with the bridges and furniture placement are kind of what I was implying with how the game looked to have done things better or added QoL that is sorely needed in NH. Which is why I'd give a small company game like this more slack than NH. The creator probably saw the complaints and comments directed to NH and aimed to implement them better in his game.
something else this game really does better than NH is letting people make original furniture. using some codes from the game's steam forums, i've found some gorgeous designs for furniture, indoor and outdoor. i've downloaded a bunch of stuff to use, and once you've downloaded an item once, you can take it to your crafting bench with the right materials and duplicate it as much as you want. with the rise in modding with NH, we've seen what people can create with the game's assets, especially with how poorly nintendo handled the content. they've already given us a lot of freedom with custom clothing, and i think it would be really cool to see that implemented with furniture in the future; if a single developer can create a feature like that, then there's no reason nintendo can't. i'm sure some people would find it too freeing, but. meh, they already let us control almost everything else about the game.

I remember seeing a bit about crafting in Hokko Life, now that you mention it! I think they were crafting a seat with hearts or a bench? It's a shame we can't get the same level of passion from AC. I might try this game out even if it does seem a bit strange with the realistic looking animals.

I get that it might not be as strong with other elements such as villager interaction and the such, but neither was NH. The game is almost strictly designed based. So it's kind of sad a team of one can try to do more than a team of 100.

I remember seeing a bit about crafting in Hokko Life, now that you mention it! I think they were crafting a seat with hearts or a bench? It's a shame we can't get the same level of passion from AC. I might try this game out even if it does seem a bit strange with the realistic looking animals.

I get that it might not be as strong with other elements such as villager interaction and the such, but neither was NH. The game is almost strictly designed based. So it's kind of sad a team of one can try to do more than a team of 100.
villager interaction is actually kind of fun. they don't have a lot to say, but the tasks they ask of you are more varied and require more effort, and i think i just sent one of them on a fetch quest to gather materials for me lmao.

Back