• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hokko Life EA is here.

MiniPocketWorld

🌺💦🏄💦🌺
Bells
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Flimsy Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Violet
Purple Violet
Some things people created in Hokko Life with the crafting system.

________________________________________________________________________________________
I thought I would do one last update as Hokko Life is now available to all as Early Access. Reviews and streams seem to be available now as well for your discretion. which I am personally waiting if I decide to get it. There is a new Trailer showing the latest look. (gotta say I love that zebra)

Early Access June 2 Trailer

Photos including Fleshed out Villagers

Beta Footage found on Hokko's Twitter from Trixter Revy/Lola:
first 15 min of Gameplay -Hair, Skin, Weather, Shops ect
3 Min of gameplay

What do you think?
Early Access Summer 2021.

_______https://twitter.com/hokkolife________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Latest update with a taste of new villagers: https://www.patreon.com/posts/devlog-march-49529002
Looks like Villagers are being fleshed out now.
1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Brief Appearance in Spring Showcase
So, after seeing this, I am actually more hopeful about the issue of characters looking "generic" looking less "generic". I have been following along in their blogs of development through discord and I gotta say, I think it will be fun. Looking forward to trying it out whenever it releases. I heard early access will be available this summer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone here played Hokko Life? Anyone who has, what is your opinion of it? I am curious about it.

Game Trailer

Edit
ok so I feel dumb, so the reason why I couldn't find any reviews on Hokko Life is because it is TBA lol.

So, instead, I am going to ask, would you play? What are your thoughts on it watching the trailer?

Website

Last edited:
Gotta be honest, the art style really turns me off. It’s like they based it on animal crossing but stripped all the characters of personality. I’d maybe try it if it’s super cheap like on sale under 10 dollars cheap.

Gotta be honest, the art style really turns me off. It’s like they based it on animal crossing but stripped all the characters of personality. I’d maybe try it if it’s super cheap like on sale under 10 dollars cheap.
I felt the same. I was looking at the most recent blog and i wonder if there is more to the game than I thought. Also from te most recent blog it looks like it has great lighting. There was a screen shot at dusk. There is mining in the game which gave me stardew vibes.
Im hoping the villagers aren't as plain as they appear to be... And i'd hope that there will be some really unique ones if they are trying to make a game like this.

I gotta say though, it does look better than most attempts of pokemon clones.

I heard about this when we were still waiting for NH to release. I remember it being roasted quite a bit for trying to rip-off Animal Crossing. Especially the steam reviews were just a mess despite the game not even being out. I haven't checked if those have been cleaned up at all yet.

Personally it seems to me the creator has a lot of passion for this project, regardless of it definitely being AC influenced. I decided if the price is reasonable I will most likely give it a shot. I'm always looking to find more life sim games that are like AC and quite frankly the idea of a game like that on the PC seems very, very tempting. I have no issues using consoles but it's a bit of a hassle to always be charging them or using my TV.

Also I'm curious what an AC like game would be like if it wasn't ran by Nintendo. I'm sure I'm not the only one with at least a tiny bit of beef with Nintendo's recent way of handling things.​

Honestly maybe. Nintendo is really starting to frustrate me so if ACNH continues going downhill I'd consider migrating over to a rip off version lol. It's really such a shame, but like Sheep Villager said, "I'm curious what an AC like game would be like if it wasn't ran by Nintendo."

I followed the game's development for a little bit and I am excited to see what new feature that game is going to bring as I am looking for more games like animal crossing. However.. I don't think I am going to play it. The graphics are just a huge turn off for me

just watched the trailer for the first time and it looks cute! i’m not too sure if i’d be interested in playing, though as while it’s obviously a type of game that i’m into, the art style throws me off a little bit - particularly where the animals are concerned but i’d still be open to trying it out!

I mean, it looks ok for what it is. It looks more like a cheap mobile game to me, but hey. I won't knock it until I try it (I probably won't try it, though).

I have a hard enough time checking Animal Crossing sometimes, so I doubt I can play another game like that consistently. I feel like if Hokko Life is too similar to Animal Crossing they're going to run into the same problem those "World of Warcraft killers" keep having, where people are too invested in the original game to jump over to another. That being said, if it looks good I might buy it. My pipe dream is for Nintendo to release an Animal Crossing for PC which can be easily modded. Since that will probably never happen, a game like Hokko Life could be the next best thing.

It looks a lot the Story of Seasons to be honest, AC already takes that slot in my heart so I don't know if I would play it personally, but it looks cute

I'm going to have to say that it's unlikely that I'll play this. Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Animal Crossing: New Horizons have me covered for cute animal villagers and decorating, and I occasionally play Stardew Valley with my best friend so I have farming covered too.

I can't say that it's wholly without its own merit and appeal, like it appears to have a decent level of player-focused customization of furniture beyond what Animal Crossing games have thus far included (for example, as the trailer shows, putting cushions on a couch and being able to determine the angle that it's placed.) Some of the hairstyles are nice as well.

I feel like the game is doing itself a disservice by being so referential to Animal Crossing. MapleSilver also makes mention of the "World of Warcraft killer" trend that never actually succeeds in the MMORPG genre. This game seems like an example of why people say not to reference a well known, more established property in your work. It seems to me like this would be an easier sell for people if the neighbors were something other than animals, because they really can't compare at all to the Animal Crossing style and it just makes you think "I could just be playing Animal Crossing instead."

It seems to me like this would be an easier sell for people if the neighbors were something other than animals, because they really can't compare at all to the Animal Crossing style and it just makes you think "I could just be playing Animal Crossing instead."
Yes. This is the main reason why I am watching it instead of getting excited even though I am getting rid of my switch.

Hmm... It reminds me a bit of MySims and Harvest Moon (Story of Seasons?). I'm not a huge fan of 3D games where the perspective keeps shifting (it makes me really really dizzy and sick) so I think I'll pass, but I can see people who want another chill life-sim type game liking this.

The player art is charming in my opinion, and the overworld panning and detail are really nice! The overworld reminds me a bit of Pokemon Sw/Sh. I think the animals are a little creepy. Maybe something about how they move and their eyes all being the same.

Oh that trailer actually looks good to me? Especially digging the fully customizable furniture - the bench they make looks very cute!
I might have to wait a bit to see reviews (that will most likely be negative I imagine due to being an AC like game) but I might give it a shot on my own. If I do try to get my hands on the game I'll be sure to report back on what I think of it.​

Did anyone here get early access?
I haven't mostly because of the report of pretty big bugs. It looks like they are actively tackling them though and the reviews are getting more positive. The game is early access and probably will be for a while since they are planning on adding more content. The soonest addition is already set in July with a farming update.
When the game is less buggy for me, I will be picking it up. It is still in my wishlist. I really enjoyed animal crossing, but just annoyed with how nintendo dealt with the game. So, I do miss playing animal crossing and I do think this game will take care of that itch for me. And so far to me, the game is looking pretty good.
Villagers
It looks like, from youtube streams, that the villagers have a nice variety of dialog. I think I heard that there are only about 25 villagers that exist but they do plan on adding a few more. But honestly I am fine with not having a ton as long as they are fleshed out. It also gives an opportunity to have all the villagers in your town if you are into that kind of thing. There isn't a limit to how many you can have, you just have to make the room for them. I do wish there was a wiki or something to see all the villagers available, or even the store items that can show up. But the game is early access so I am sure with time that kind of thing will exist. And according to some players, the villagers appear more lively after you get a few villagers into your town. They interact and express themselves more.
Crafting
It also appears that the crafting system is one of the major highlights of the game. An example is that you have wood planks that are different shapes that you can put together to create whatever. You can adjust the size and rotation of each plank too. There are still items you can buy in the shop if you don't what to build everything yourself, and there are creations from other people you can download through a terminal in the shop as another option to not crafting everything yourself. Looks like there is alot of promise for variety in the game. There is farming coming to the game, and I would imagine the produce will be used in crafting. However the Farming update will be added in July.
Environment
I really like the music, and in my opinion, the game does have nice atmosphere. Different times of day, seasons, and weather. And I also like to throw the aspect of mining here. I haven't gotten much of a look of mining yet through helpful youtube, but from the trailer, it looks great and honestly a nice breath of fresh air from an animal crossing perspective. Like honestly I don't know why Nintendo didn't think about giving some of the random DAL islands a small cave for mineral resources. As for the town map for each player, it appears to generate the same map for everyone.
Map is randomly generated for each player.

Last edited:
I decided to pick a copy of the game up and at least try it out. It has almost been a week playing it and honestly it isn't as buggy as some people are making it out to be. I am really enjoying it. There is actually alot you can do with the crafting.

Back