• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

History with Nintendo repair

Yoshi155

“I want to go home and rethink my life”
Bells
Switch
6929-4509-7861
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
I’m sending my 3DS in because it has the black screen of death. In general, what is your history with Nintendo repairs, specifically 3DS. I’d prefer fast answers.

i sent my 2DS xl for a nintendo repair because it wasn’t turning on and it kept making a popping noise. they gave me a new system (same model) i was only charged $50 + shipping, i had a good experience with customer service and the repair.

i think i read something online that said that if you have a 3DS model and they are unable to fix it, nintendo won’t be able to replace it with the same model and they’ll replace it with a 2DS XL because 3DS models are no longer in production (however, don’t take my word on that).

The first memory coming to mind is when I had to send my Nintendo Wii in for a repair and I had the Homebrew Channel downloaded, it somehow managed to slip their mind. I received it back with Homebrew still installed. I was worried they would delete it or put some type of restriction on my console. I'm glad I got the Wii back completely repaired and with Homebrew installed. (Can I even mention this software even if I'm not talking about how to install it?)

I have sent my 3DS in for repair before because I had the brilliant idea of washing it with soap and water. The screen had bubbles inside of it and I couldn't see anything. I'd compare it to if someone was wearing glasses was wearing them and their vision was blurry. That was the whole top screen. I've broken hinges quite a few times as a child but I don't remember sending those in or if I just got a new 3DS altogether, lol. I'm way more careful with my things as an adult.

The first memory coming to mind is when I had to send my Nintendo Wii in for a repair and I had the Homebrew Channel downloaded, it somehow managed to slip their mind. I received it back with Homebrew still installed. I was worried they would delete it or put some type of restriction on my console. I'm glad I got the Wii back completely repaired and with Homebrew installed. (Can I even mention this software even if I'm not talking about how to install it?)
If they did notice it, they would more likely just send it back without repairing it than impose a restriction on the console or uninstall it themselves. If the repair was purely hardware-related they probably didn't check for that, and the underpaid employees responsible for handling the repairs typically have better things to do than check individual units for unauthorized apps. They probably just replaced whatever was broken, gave a quick glance to see if it was working, and moved on to the next order.

From my experience, Nintendo has always been more than gracious with repairs. They've always come back working perfectly and without further problems. But I have definitely heard from other people horror stories of sending their units in only for them to introduce new, different problems, or to make the problem worse. So my experiences are certainly not universal. And the last time I sent something to them was over a decade ago, so who knows how things might have changed in that time.

If they did notice it, they would more likely just send it back without repairing it than impose a restriction on the console or uninstall it themselves. If the repair was purely hardware-related they probably didn't check for that, and the underpaid employees responsible for handling the repairs typically have better things to do than check individual units for unauthorized apps. They probably just replaced whatever was broken, gave a quick glance to see if it was working, and moved on to the next order.
I appreciate the explanation. This was likely the case, because it did come back fully repaired. I'm pretty sure the problem was that it wasn't reading any discs. It was definitely fixed when I got it back.

I had to send my Wii in twice because it wouldn't load Smash. It was a launch model so in doing some research I found out that the lens inside could get dirty easily. The first time they actually contacted me and asked if I smoked around the console because it looked like nicotine on the lens, I said no but pointed out that my console was kept on a stand directly below a duct, so possibly stuff was coming in from another unit. They said 'fair enough', cleaned it and sent it back.
About 1 month later it started acting up again, so I sent it back in. Again they called and requested I don't smoke around the system, so I lost my temper a bit, rehashed the first repair then told them to just replace the lens with one from the newer models. They did, and I never had another problem.

All in all, the process was fairly fast and fairly painless. No charge to me either. They're a really good company.

Back in the Wii/DS days they were excellent and even threw in freebies sometimes, I can’t speak for nowadays though

I had to change the charging port and the left and right button of my 3DS . I did it myself and the pieces didn't cost much. I think I paid $3 for the charging port and maybe $5 for the buttons.

I can't speak for a 3DS, but I sent my joycon in for repair a couple months ago nd it went smoothly. Got it back within a week despite the 2-4 week estimate (if I'm remembering right), would have been a day faster too if it wasn't for a holiday halting the mail.

Back