• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Help Deciding Island Theme and Name

Wonderous_Moon

Bells
Hello! I just restarted my island, and am stumped thinking of a new theme and name.
I usually default to cottagecore, but I’m open to new themes. And when it comes to names, I’m willing to listen to your suggestions/ideas!

I’m torn between:
1.) Cottagecore/Quaint Village (my usual)
2.) Witchy/Magical (My last island before I reset)
3.) Halloween/Horror/Spooky (I hesitate on this idea, since it’ll feel out of place the rest of the year)
4.) Pop Culture Reference (Think Westeros from GOT. I hesitate on this idea too, in the event I stop liking the thing I build the island around.)
5.) Royal/Elegantcore
6.) Fairytale/Storybook/Disney

Last edited:
I'd say either 5 or 6 since they seem like new ones you haven't tried yet. I think they'd look really pretty as well!
Names- maybe whimsical or fancy sounding names for either of those ideas. Cant think of anything off the top of my head besides Narnia (but I like it)! :)

6 can be fun as it can be pretty broad. You could have a variety of vibe on your island while sticking to that theme at the same time. Or you can rotate.

I don't know what you should go with, but I'd consider how long you think you're going to keep on playing New Horizons. Let's say the waiting time between main titles remains the same and we still have 6 years to go. Do you think you will play consistently for 6 years? Or will you play for one year, forget about it for 2-4 years and then pick it up again and restart because it's been so long?
I think that question is important because you might as well go with a pop culture reference that brings you joy if you're going to restart in a couple years again anyway. Or if you'll stop playing.

I'd like to change my theme once a year as well, but I decided to go with a neutral name and "neutral" layout because I'd like to stick to one save file and get all achievements done. That's my playstyle. I assume you're more for decorating etc because you already thought so much about it.

Maybe you could find a name that could be used for most of your ideas? Like a villain from Disney type of name that sounds neutral enough to be confused for a cottagecore name? :'D

One name would be of course Maleficent, which derives from malice + beneficent. Maybe this could be a way for you to come up with a more unique name for you? Think the Malhamas or Eville Island.

Also basing your name off of a pop reference is more save, in case you end up hating something.

I definitely think 5 would be fun because you could do many themes/colors with royal like "royal mermaid" or "royal vampires" so it could be also up to you to customize royal how you like. also it would be fun to make roles for your villagers like you could have a king and queen and all that :)

I think you could sort of combine 5 and 6, taking elements from both, which could be fun. And you could still stick to a few rural aspects that appear to be your default/comfort zone.

Here’s some theme ideas I have that are a little different.

Pirate’s keep, shanty or desert island or fort or even a mix.

Tropical paradise.

Steampunk.

Techno punk.

Cartoon (early 1900’s) or Looney Tunes.

Country or Western or Bluegrass American.

Traditional Japanese or hi tech Japanese.

Anime.

Ancient Greece.

Ancient Egypt.

UK medieval.

Gaming, different parts of the island or even the whole island could be themed as certain games.

A collage campus with the college, fraternities and sororities, local food place, ball field, library (museum), dorms and park.

Sky kingdom.

Miner town.

Carnival or theme park.

Those are just a few ideas. 😄

I like your first one, but I know most will disagree because cottagecore is overused. As much as I do like it, a lot of islands use that theme.

Back