• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Have any of you played SHMUP (shoot em' up) games?

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
I'm just interested if any of you played these types of games.
SHMUP is basically a game genre where you have to dodge as many projectiles/bullets while shooting down enemies and bosses each stage.

I've played Touhou 7,10, and Pop'n Twinbee.

YES! I really love all the Touhou games in general! The music, the characters, and the story behind it makes it stand out to me compared to other SHMUPs.

Yep, and I love them even being trash at them.

My favorite is probably DoDonPachi (well, the series has a lot of games, but for me, the original Donpachi and DoDonpachi are the best games), but there's many others I love, like Gradius 2 on the Famicom (one of the first three games I ever played in my life), Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters, Progear (excelent shmup made by Cave and Capcom), R-Type Delta on the original Playstation, and obviously, the Parodius series!

Star Soldier Vanishing Earth is a hidden gem on the N64, its the only shmup released on the system to make it to North America and copies are really hard to come by, and it has a banger OST.
give this a listen:

I've played a few over the years: Sol-Deace, The Thunder Force series and a couple others. They're pretty fun!

Reactions: Raz
I can count in one hand the number of shmup games ive played
They are too hard for me and require a lot of fast reflexs and this is a issue for me and one of the reasons indont play fps

Star Soldier Vanishing Earth is a hidden gem on the N64, its the only shmup released on the system to make it to North America and copies are really hard to come by, and it has a banger OST.
give this a listen:
I didn't know that the Star Soldier series had an entry after the NES! The N64 also has an obscure entry in the Aero Fighters series - Aero Fighters Assault - and as far as I know, it's also one of those games that are hard to come by. It's not a shmup, though, it's more like an arcadey version of Ace Combat.

I'm utter crap at them but I would give a lot for a Parodius collection on Switch.

A couple of Touhou ones, and some other more obscurities they released on Steam before.

Also yeah that one NES game whatever it's named, it's fun.

Shump is my favorite genre, mostly because I have a short attention span when it comes to video games and can't do modern adventure/lore heavy games too much, so arcade games have always been my go to. Some of my favorites are Einhänder, G-Darius, DoDonPachi, Ikaruga, Pocky & Rocky. As well as some rail shooters like Rez, Starfox 64 and Sin & Punishment

Some other good ones are Parodius(-Da and Gokujou are my favorites), Pulstar (visuals are so gorgeous!) Hydorah, Deathsmiles (honestly anything by Cave) R-Type and R-type delta, and to be honest, the original Silpheed. Just because early 3D shooters really hypnotize me, they're so novel looking now.

oh and the too-hoos are fun too lol

This throws me back to when I was younger when my mom called any game that involved attacking enemies a shoot ‘em up game. I’ve enjoyed a few even though it’s not my favorite genre:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - might be a stretch compared to what’s traditionally in the category, but projectiles and bosses are aplenty. Great entry point for any player

Mushihimesama - gorgeous art style and flow

Touhou (specifically 7 because I’m not good at them) - classic series. Haven’t played or kept up with them in years though. Great characters, fun fights, and beautiful visuals.

Heads up: Steam sale started yesterday and a lot of these are on sale. 😁

It's a genre that I tend to avoid. I do like some of the classics...and it's a fun break from the other genres that I more routinely play. But, I'm typically not a fan of the "bullet hell" style. Everything in moderation, though. Once in a while...here and there.

The only shoot em up game I’ve ever played is splatoon 1 and 2, and I’m not very good at all at aiming at the targets. Everyone else just move so fast and have stronger weapons, that I just lose super quick, but the game is still fun to play.

Sure. There was a time when this genre of games were addictive to me, just shooting up things for fun. I remember one arcade game that took this concept and rolled with it, just letting you shoot various things for points - from a car to crates to just random stuff like balloons. The more damage you caused, the more points you get. Now THAT's entertainment.

I also played quite a bit of House of the Dead 2 back then. It has a hilarious player death sequence that my friend and I used to reenact.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park, another fun arcade shoot 'em up where you get to live out the dino-adventure with other dinosaurs never before featured in the movie being in the game (like Deinosuchus). That was wild.

I’ve played a few. This genre of games can be addicting for some. They are good for passing time when you are bored. I haven’t played one in quite a while. I grew out of these types of games, but I do remember them from my childhood. I recall playing games like this on the computer in school during our computer class. Fun times of having a game tab open when the teacher wasn’t paying attention or gave us free time.

This genre currently doesn’t interest me, though. I’m sure some enjoy it, however.

I play mostly Touhou and Len'en.

Touhou I like more as a whole. I love the fanworks, manga, music, fan made anime, etc.

Len'en is a great series as well. It was inspired by Touhou. 5 is probably my favorite despite RNG

i've played a few and have enjoyed most of them. despite being a very busy genre, there's something calming about zeroing in on your lil ship and dodging bullets. ikaruga is probably my fave in the genre - it's a beautiful game

I play mostly Touhou and Len'en.

Touhou I like more as a whole. I love the fanworks, manga, music, fan made anime, etc.

Len'en is a great series as well. It was inspired by Touhou. 5 is probably my favorite despite RNG

I'm surprised someone else knows about Len'en Project!
I played Len'en too, although the games overall are harder than Touhou.

yup, I've played Touhou 6,7,8,14.

they're fun but I'm not very good at them.

Back