• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hated games that you love?

I have nostalgia for playing M&M’s Kart Racing on the Wii. Yep, I know. I actually tried to beat that turd and mostly succeeded.

I was also a kid that didn’t know how bad most licensed Wii games were. However, I was quite surprised that I got the hang of the terrible controls. These days, if I were to ever revisit it, I’d probably fail miserably trying to drive the karts.

Oh, and I approached the sound barrier a ton of times.

I have nostalgia for playing M&M’s Kart Racing on the Wii. Yep, I know. I actually tried to beat that turd and mostly succeeded.

I was also a kid that didn’t know how bad most licensed Wii games were. However, I was quite surprised that I got the hang of the terrible controls. These days, if I were to ever revisit it, I’d probably fail miserably trying to drive the karts.

Oh, and I approached the sound barrier a ton of times.
I watched some YouTubers play it recently lol. Also, have you heard of M & M’s Shell Shocked? It’s pretty much a rip-off of Crash Bandicoot but with M&M’s.

I watched some YouTubers play it recently lol. Also, have you heard of M & M’s Shell Shocked? It’s pretty much a rip-off of Crash Bandicoot but with M&M’s.
Yeah, I watched someone play it once. All they did was complete the first level and that was it. It's got cheesy FMV cutscenes too, which are always fun to watch despite the games they're tied to! :ROFLMAO:

Genshin Impact! It's got a lot of issues and a lot of people don't like it, but I love it. :blush:

sonic boom rise of lyric: I KNOW WHAT YOU’RE THINKING, sonic fans absolutely HATE that game but it was my first sonic game in 2015 and i didn't know any better. i do agree that it's awful now but i have great memories playing it with my brother and wandering around the map.

Last edited:
It doesn't happen so much nowadays, but for a while there I would look up a game that I had a lot of nostalgia for only to find out it was widely hated. For example, Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly was one of the first games I ever played and because I didn't have much experience with games, things like poor level design, lack of innovation, glitchiness, etc. were all things that I never noticed. I just remembered it being a fun game. Then I go online and people HATE that game. And seeing some of the gameplay now, yeah, that's probably fair lol.

I haven't played it in a long while, but I've always had a fondness for Starfox Adventures.

It is absolutely terrible as a Starfox game, but as a Zelda clone, it's actually really quite average.
I hardly ever hear anyone mention this game, so coming into this thread and seeing your post is so much fun! I honestly couldn't agree more. I thought it was such a fun game growing up (although I haven't played in a while, so who knows now) and I didn't realize how much it was hated until I started interacting with gaming communities online. Honestly, even if the gameplay didn't hold up, the soundtrack is still just fantastic. One of the songs from Tears of the Kingdom actually reminds me of a track from Starfox Adventures and it makes me wonder if there was any connection there, no matter how small. (The Ritto theme and the nighttime song for Dinosaur Planet.)

I hardly ever hear anyone mention this game, so coming into this thread and seeing your post is so much fun! I honestly couldn't agree more. I thought it was such a fun game growing up (although I haven't played in a while, so who knows now) and I didn't realize how much it was hated until I started interacting with gaming communities online. Honestly, even if the gameplay didn't hold up, the soundtrack is still just fantastic. One of the songs from Tears of the Kingdom actually reminds me of a track from Starfox Adventures and it makes me wonder if there was any connection there, no matter how small. (The Ritto theme and the nighttime song for Dinosaur Planet.)
I haven't played the game in awhile, but I imagine it doesn't live up to modern scrutiny. But I think at the time, it was regarded as completely irredeemable rubbish, which I don't think is really fair. From the perspective of a Star Fox fan, I can definitely understand the disappointment, and the fact that it was never intended to be a Star Fox game until Nintendo stuck their greedy fingers in it bleeds through in nearly every aspect of the narrative. But the graphics, the world, and combat are all--while not the best by any means--very fun and interesting, if a tad simplistic in some areas. I see it as a very mid-level, relatively inoffensive title that is best purchased secondhand, no more and no less. In any case, I think Adventures accomplishes what it set out to do better than the actual big-name Star Fox GameCube game (Starfox Assault) does, which was perhaps a little too ambitious for its own good.

That dinosaur language was absolutely embarrassing though. I have no idea how they thought that was a good idea.

Back