• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hated games that you love?

Juicydugong

Jasmine .+(´^ω^`)+.
Bells
Switch
5156-7994-7201
For me it's Pokemon USUM, I don't know why!!! I think it could be because it was the first time I had a pokemon game at the same time as everyone else and could get mystery gifts etc, I even completed the pokedex and finished w 200 hours

I haven't played it in a long while, but I've always had a fondness for Starfox Adventures.

It is absolutely terrible as a Starfox game, but as a Zelda clone, it's actually really quite average.

I can’t think of any that are universally hated but instead heavily criticised, I suppose USUM falls under that category anyway, so-

Crash Bash: I don’t see what sucks so much about it unless it’s just about the completionist aspects. Sure, it flopped with the lore totally but it was just a random spinoff, it’s far from the worst. I just have an inexplicable soft spot for the minigames but I think most of them are just decent regardless and idk why this one is so hated. It’s still kind of a guilty pleasure because I don’t actually think it’s great but I love it.

Skylanders series: gets a ton of hate for “killing” Spyro but imo better than that series ever was, and I say that as someone who used to be obsessed with Spyro. Spyro 3 was my first video game ever. I’ll just leave it at that. The series certainly has its issues but I think anyone who says they’re just shovelware or something hasn’t given them a fair chance.

Smash 4: I don’t love it but I have a very hot take that this game ISN’T obsolete next to Ultimate. Smash 3DS had more enjoyable single player even if it was shorter imo, the balance had its own fun stuff going on, and most of all the controls were just better in this game. But even when I’m not comparing it to Ult, honestly, people have forgotten what a big deal Smash 4 was at the time. It’s easy to complain about it in retrospect if you think it’s just obsolete, but back then, the attempt at appealing to a competitive audience was pretty bold and new for Nintendo. I think it deserves more credit for that. it also just has a special place in my heart coz of nostalgia lol this is the last game i regularly woke up to play with (former) friends n stuff

Rune Factory 5 has its share of flaws for sure, but I love it! ;v; Of the two Rune Factory games I've played (the other being RF4S) it's honestly my favorite. I love the new art direction and full 3D, the more fleshed-out romances, not being largely at the mercy of RNG while trying to get character events you want to trigger, and that you can actually date/marry same-gender characters—which I'm glad about both on general principle and personally, because it would've been kinda disappointing for me if I had to start a new file as the male protagonist just to date Ludmila.
The storyline is shorter and there's less dungeoning/exploring to be done than in RF4/S, but given the graphics overhaul and the development hell this game was stuck in (including the company going bankrupt for a time), I can kinda forgive it and I think it'll serve as a really strong basis for the next game. I do wish that some of the optimization/minor bugginess had been smoothed out a little more, but the things I love about RF5 definitely outweigh these things for me. And I mean, even if it is less content than RF4S, I'm nowhere near finished with all the things I want to do on my main files even 110+ hours in.

Sticker star is good i dont even love it but paper mario "fans" hate anything that isnt TTYD
1692459928062.png

the first that come to mind have to be Zelda Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass. Underrated masterpieces.

Edit: masterpiece might be a reach, but they are definitely close enough in my eyes. how good can you get with a nintendo DS Zelda game?

Fire Emblem Fates. It's overall a decently-regarded game but the stories get judged quite a bit for being poor.

I still enjoy regardless, there's some cool lore in all three stories :)

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, both seem to be disliked games in their series, but i enjoyed them! (and still do)

maybe it’s because i was a little kid and didn’t really notice flaws in them that would make me dislike them? and DotNW was my first Tales game (i played the first Symphonia after 2 i’m backwards)

Super Paper Mario is extremely hated back when it's been released in 2007. Despite that, I love the art style and the story of that game. SPM is truly "overhated" in a sense. I enjoy the music in that game too, one of the games that influenced the way I draw.

Another "overhated" game I actually love and enjoy is Pokemon Black and White. Best Pokemon designs (Who doesn't love Chandelure and Golurk), best characters and story in mainline Pokemon game standards.

parroting above, pokemon black and white. everyone dogged on it because "ICE CREAM!! OOOHHHH ICE CREAM DESIGN BAD!!!" completely missing the fact that Natural Harmonia and Ghetsis are some of the best villains in the series, the OST is literally SO INCREDIBLY ICONIC, and the online scene for it was so incredible. but ice cream bad, right?!

For me it’s Shaq Fu. Everyone always says how “it’s a bad game” but it is a really good game if you ignore Shaq. The Sega Genesis version is the better version as you get more characters and stages. The game isn’t too bad for a fighting game and it actually has gimmicks that other franchises copied later on in future games. Think Super Smash Bros originated the energy shield around the fighters? Nope. Shaq Fu did it first. Escaping by doing back flips or teleportation? Shaq Fu did it first again. Being able to run after those who constantly keeps backing away from you? Yep. Shaq Fu did it first.

Last edited:
I don't know that Pokemon X/Y are hated, but I do know that many people were disappointed with them. I do hold to Gen V being the peak of the series and Gen VI being a slight decline, but not anywhere near the decline that many say. I thoroughly enjoyed X. I loved the region, I loved the OST, and I found new favorite Pokemon like Fletchling.

Black/White has been mentioned here. I love Black/White, they're my favorite Pokemon games... But I guess I have had a different impression of opinions I've seen over it. I've seen a lot of others say that Gen V is their favorite for various reasons, the Pokemon fandom seems to generally have a good opinion for B/W. I ignore the Gen I purists who complain about the object Pokemon (despite Gen I having quite a few object Pokemon. lol). Gen V had many, many excellent Pokemon designs, quite a few are at the very top of the list of my favorites.

Basically any Paper Mario game after TTYD has a high dislike to like ratio, and I like all of them (yes, even Sticker Star). NSMB games after Wii and sometimes even after DS get a lot of hate, but I love all of them, too.

Basically any Paper Mario game after TTYD has a high dislike to like ratio, and I like all of them (yes, even Sticker Star). NSMB games after Wii and sometimes even after DS get a lot of hate, but I love all of them, too.
I’ve only played the original, Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star, and Origami King. Sticker was my first entry in the series and I also liked it. I thought it was clever when it came to how the Stickers were used outside of battle and only one of two games to actually make me jump in shock because I didn’t expect something to surprise me so much. I think Origami King is very well liked and the only game in the series since TTYD to be well received by fans of the series although I’ve also heard that fans didn’t mind the changes SPM had made.

Back when it first came out, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance had negative reviews, especially regarding the music, but I love that game. Personally, the music has a fun retro vibe to it— so I don’t know what fans were expecting.

Super Paper Mario is extremely hated back when it's been released in 2007. Despite that, I love the art style and the story of that game. SPM is truly "overhated" in a sense. I enjoy the music in that game too, one of the games that influenced the way I draw.

Another "overhated" game I actually love and enjoy is Pokemon Black and White. Best Pokemon designs (Who doesn't love Chandelure and Golurk), best characters and story in mainline Pokemon game standards.
So that explains the "i spend all day complaining about games i never played on the internet" joke in the game lmao.

But yeah, i actually like super paper mario as well too.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. So much hate for this game, and as far as I know, it's almost entirely classic and Legend Spyro fans hating on it for 'ruining' Spyro's design. I agree that I hate the cash grab aspect of the game (using Spyro's name for blatant IP cash, and needing to buy loads of new figures with every new game) but the game itself? Actually pretty good, and far closer to the original classic Spyro games than the Legend of Spyro ever was.

I'm under the impression that Digimon Survive is sort of hated within parts of the Digimon community, but I enjoyed it a lot. It had flaws, but was still thoroughly enjoyable.

Also, not a game but a mascot - I love Bubsy the Bobcat.

I'm not sure if it's hated but it's rarely talked about in comparison to other Pokémon games:

Pokémon Channel and
Hey You Pikachu!

Pokemon Gen VII my beloved

Also FE Engage and the Kingdom Hearts series.

Last edited:
Back