• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Has your pet ever been mistaken for another breed?

Has your pet ever been mistaken for a different breed?

• Total voters

themysterybidder

🐴 Devoted to Buck! 🐴 (UK)
Bells
Switch
8113-5873-2420
Island
Hazzard
White Rose
White Rose
Purple Violet
White Violet
Red Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
Red Lily
Red Lily
A question for pet owners! Ever since I've had Blossom I've had a lot of people mistaking her for a Corgi, a Spaniel, a Beagle (which is kind of understandable) and also asking me 'Is she a cross?' I usually have to explain she is a pure Basset Hound, but she looks different as she's a long haired Basset. There has only been two people who knew she was a Basset. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had any of their pets mistaken for a different breed?

My late dog was a funny-looking little mutt with slightly stubby legs (she was a rough collie-dachshund/golden lab mix LOL), and you would not believe the number of people who thought she was a corgi. 😭 If you've never seen a corgi, but heard descriptions of them, maybe...?
1328.png

I don't think so! My dog is a cross of different breeds but she distinctly looks like a Labrador, which anyone can correctly guess. I'm not exactly sure what my cats are, but I haven't had anyone doubt their breed either. (I just refer to my cats as "long-haired + [fur pattern]". For example, "long-haired Calico" for Caramel.)

Some people think my Shih Tzu is a Lhasa Apso due to his size and musculature— his chest is insanely wide compared to his waist (a beefbus lol), and the first thing a new neighbor said was “Is that a Lhasa Apso?” 😂 But Shih Tzus are half-Lhasa, so they’re half right.

People also assume he’s a girl, or a baby. One time he got a double whammy when a kid asked, “Is SHE a BABY?” 😂

Last edited:
I had a cream and white rat some old lady thought was a tiny puppy years ago. She pulled over and asked about it.
She didn't see too well, but drove a car.
I guess that is more of a species mix up. Granted the rat was a good size.

After my dog got groomed, I think two people thought that he was a chihuahua. (He's a yorkie) I don't blame them since he's very small and I get his hair to be really really short.

On Cat Twitter, a few people asked me if Spanky was a Turkish Van. I don’t know her breed (or any of my cats). I looked the breed up and I think she’s too small and her fur too thin to be a pure Turkish Van. 🤔

My dog is a Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix. He has a lot of chihuahua characteristics in my opinion, but he also has a curly tail and when he was young his face and ears were all black while the rest of his body is tan.

One of our neighbors who owned 3 Shiba Inus mistook him for a Shiba puppy.

But a lot of people thought he was a German Shepard puppy. We got lots of comments about how big he was going to get and things like that. Ummm, no. He's 8 years old now and still 10 pounds. 😂

1710304528287.jpeg

Back