Has your pet ever been mistaken for another breed?

Has your pet ever been mistaken for a different breed?

• Total voters

themysterybidder

🐴 Devoted to Buck! 🐴 (UK)
Bells
Switch
8113-5873-2420
Island
Hazzard
Orange Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Violet
White Violet
Red Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
Red Lily
Red Lily
A question for pet owners! Ever since I've had Blossom I've had a lot of people mistaking her for a Corgi, a Spaniel, a Beagle (which is kind of understandable) and also asking me 'Is she a cross?' I usually have to explain she is a pure Basset Hound, but she looks different as she's a long haired Basset. There has only been two people who knew she was a Basset. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had any of their pets mistaken for a different breed?

My late dog was a funny-looking little mutt with slightly stubby legs (she was a rough collie-dachshund/golden lab mix LOL), and you would not believe the number of people who thought she was a corgi. 😭 If you've never seen a corgi, but heard descriptions of them, maybe...?
1328.png

I don't think so! My dog is a cross of different breeds but she distinctly looks like a Labrador, which anyone can correctly guess. I'm not exactly sure what my cats are, but I haven't had anyone doubt their breed either. (I just refer to my cats as "long-haired + [fur pattern]". For example, "long-haired Calico" for Caramel.)

Some people think my Shih Tzu is a Lhasa Apso due to his size and musculature— his chest is insanely wide compared to his waist (a beefbus lol), and the first thing a new neighbor said was “Is that a Lhasa Apso?” 😂 But Shih Tzus are half-Lhasa, so they’re half right.

People also assume he’s a girl, or a baby. One time he got a double whammy when a kid asked, “Is SHE a BABY?” 😂

Last edited:
I had a cream and white rat some old lady thought was a tiny puppy years ago. She pulled over and asked about it.
She didn't see too well, but drove a car.
I guess that is more of a species mix up. Granted the rat was a good size.

After my dog got groomed, I think two people thought that he was a chihuahua. (He's a yorkie) I don't blame them since he's very small and I get his hair to be really really short.

On Cat Twitter, a few people asked me if Spanky was a Turkish Van. I don’t know her breed (or any of my cats). I looked the breed up and I think she’s too small and her fur too thin to be a pure Turkish Van. 🤔

My dog is a Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix. He has a lot of chihuahua characteristics in my opinion, but he also has a curly tail and when he was young his face and ears were all black while the rest of his body is tan.

One of our neighbors who owned 3 Shiba Inus mistook him for a Shiba puppy.

But a lot of people thought he was a German Shepard puppy. We got lots of comments about how big he was going to get and things like that. Ummm, no. He's 8 years old now and still 10 pounds. 😂

1710304528287.jpeg

Back