• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Hand drawn, or 3D animated movies?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Which animation style do you prefer?

I prefer the hand drawn style personally. I think its more whimsical, and most of my favorite Fantasy movies are hand drawn. Like Wolf Runners, studio ghibli. Also my favorite movie of all time, Akira.

Im a fan of 3D too. Being as Frozen, Island of the dogs, Ice age 1-3, are just a few of my favorites. But I still prefer the more hand drawn look.

Which style do you prefer, and what are some of your favorites?

I would say hand drawn, although it's not a big deal for me either way as long as the animation is done well and suits the movie.

Some of my favorite hand drawn animated movies are Beauty and the Beast, the Secret of NIMH, Perfect Blue, Pom Poko, and Princess Mononoke.

Some of my favorite 3D animated movies are Wall-E and How to Train Your Dragon.

I also really like stop motion animation like Corpse Bride and Nightmare Before Christmas.

Honestly? I don’t have a preference. I’m more drawn to storylines than art style. What good is beautiful art if the story is badly written? I really can’t decide which I prefer, but I don’t dislike either. Both are fine with me.

Hand drawn!! I have basically no interest in CG animation and 80% of the time I find it's presence offensive while hand drawn animation downright captivates me.

Hand drawn movies tend to be my pick but I like both. I agree that I'm more story over looks, when it comes to movies

Hand drawn. I'm getting bored of 3d these days, especially when all the character designs look the same. Older 3d movies I am fine with it being 3d because back then they were more unique and suitable.

Hand drawn 100%. I didn't like when Disney moved onto CGI movies and now it seems like every company has. I understand that hand drawn takes more work, but the end product usually looks better. Plus every Disney, Pixar, or Dreamworks movie looks the same to me. You could show me a character and I wouldn't be able to tell where they're from and/or they'd look like they'd fit in any of their movies. I find that style ugly as well. (Turning Red is hideous).

I’m going to have to go with the general consensus that hand drawn is better. 3D animated movies can be technical marvels, but they tend to age poorly. Pretty much every 3D animated Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks movie from before 2003 looks awful by today’s standards. Even The Incredibles, a movie I love, looks very 2004. Hand drawn movies on the other hand can age much better. Despite being animated over 80 years old Snow White and The Seven Dwarves is still wonderful to look at. It’s a shame American studios have moved away from that traditional look. At least other studios are picking up the slack. Japan, China, and even Ireland have studios that are making beautiful looking 2D animation. You’d think the financial success these shows and movies have would push big American studios to consider doing the same, but I guess they think their audiences are only interested in the same old 3D animation.

i don’t really have a preference tbh — i like both animation styles equally. though, i kind of have a soft spot for hand-drawn since my 2 childhood comfort disney movies are in that style, and i saw a couple deleted lilo & stitch scenes in their drawing format on youtube when i was younger and thought it looked really cool, but both styles are great.

some of my favourite hand-drawn movies are the little mermaid, lilo & stitch, the princess and the frog (i actually had no idea this was hand-drawn until recently, but it’s made me love the movie even more!) and beauty and the beast. a few of my favourite 3d animated movies are tangled, frozen, inside out, monster house, shrek etc.

Hand drawn is leagues better as far as quality goes. It has a different feel to it that 3D just can't capture as well. There was a time when 3D was new and unique, but now it's just so bloated in the industry that the animation industry needs to go back to its routes or they'll drive it in the ground.

Back