• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

“Core memory” media

Drawdler

Profile comments open to water flowers 💐✨
Bells
Switch
4463-2469-1897
Island
Gondwana
White Pansy
White Pansy
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
Not just media that’s really important to you but where you feel like your tastes or life or something wouldn’t be different without it, or where you think “ah, this is why my favorite style is that” yknow. Like beyond favorites more personally significant

Here’s some of mine

music:
Jazz music, non-specific jazz music. I was writing somewhere else about my history with musical interests and I always thought jazz was cool, it always had something to offer me wether it was energetic, moody, or calm. Aside from that the technical side of it probably influenced my love for prog which is based largely on appreciation for technical skill.
00’s Justin Timberlake, some of the only current-at-the-time pop music I liked. Before then I was driven away from vocal music and got sick of pop because my sister is really bad at singing and I couldn’t stop thinking about her singing vocal tracks and it made me cringe. The aesthetic of his 2nd album was just especially influential to my future tastes across all media (rediscovering it last year it just explained so much)
pink floyd as a teen
This song: (warning: insanely iconic late 90s to late 00’s -core) and french house music in general but especially this song

movies:
golden age Pixar
shrek 1-2

shows:
golden age simpsons & futurama
seinfeld
early family guy (im sorry, but its iconic, and definitely paved the way for me to enjoy meme humor later. Plus i wasnt supposed to watch it as a kid but i did anyway because my sister let me and it made me feel edgy and cooler lol 😎 )
mad men (i wasn’t supposed to watch this as a kid and i didn’t but my mom watched it a lot so i saw pieces of it & the vibe totally intrigued and indirectly influenced me)

games:
original Crash trilogy, Spyro 1, Skylanders Swap Force, Mario Kart Wii, ACWW (any Animal Crossing game would have done it but that was my first one)
animal crossing had a huge knock on effect with my interest in studying nonfiction

maybe guilty gear, because its the first fighting game i loved, and my love for one of the characters had a massive knock-on effects with some of my other tastes. he got me to realise how cool birds are lol
also jjba and american psycho lol

Last edited:
Now that I’m older, I realize how much Dexter’s Laboratory and this boomerang short influenced my taste in art (I watched boomerang all the time in preschool and kindergarten!)

this is a great thread bc i have so many thoughts. i've never been a movie gworlie so it's mostly going to be music & games.

for vidya, the thing that really hooked me onto video games was Paper Mario: TTYD. it's legit my all-time favorite game despite everything else. i could play it 1000 times and never get bored of it. after that, Fallout New Vegas has been a significant part of my life ever since i played it. it legit has made me a ton of friends and even put me in the relationship i'm in now (blessing or a curse) and idk what my life would be like without it. disco elysium made me trans.

the vaporwave music hype around 2014-2017 had a huge, long-lasting effect on me, and my entire taste in music changed. whenever i listen to blank banshee, i get an INSANE amount of nostalgia that i have to actually like. lay down to process it, because it was such a big part of my life. vaporwave aesthetics turned me on to my huge appreciation for 90s/2000s web, early PCs and technology around the same time, just cause the aesthetics were used everywhere.

this part of my rant is going to be ****ing insane but bare with me. in 8th/9th grade (cant remember which) we learned about the chernobyl nuclear disaster for the first time in history. i'd heard about it before but this time we actually studied it. ever since then, i've had an increasingly large amount of interest in studying nuclear energy, atomic devices etc. the HBO series left a huge mark on my studying, and while it's not 100% accurate (its obviously dramatized) it really helped me put names and faces "together" or at least look more into the people behind the event rather than the faceless specter that was the soviet nuclear science teams and government. my interest in chernobyl actually lead to me playing more games based on nuclear events, such as Fallout linked above and STALKER. other apocalyptic type games as well that maybe don't do with nuclear energy at all but you know, man-made events linking to downfall of a society.

lady gaga made me gay.

I'm not sure if I can remember everything but I'll try.

The Pokemon anime is probably what got me into video games.
The Digimon anime is probably also what got me into the Pokemon anime. Yes, I watched Digimon first.
Neopets started my lifelong interest in virtual pet/adoptable websites/games.
All the things above lead me into joining a Pokemon-themed (at the time) adoptable game where I made a friend who introduced me to TBT around when New Leaf came out. That would also end up being my first Animal Crossing game. Years later I would make more friends here on TBT and overall all these things are why I'm the way I am now in terms of video games, online friends, and what browser games I play. It's all connected somehow. Also I guess my identity was influenced too? But that one is complicated.

I don't have a good memory of how anything else influenced me. I've watched so many things but I can't think of anything else.

My biggest is definitely Digimon Adventure. But Neopets also started my online presence.

Hmm... if we're not restricted to certain time periods in our lives, I'd definitely say watching the beginning of My Hero Academia is what got my love for anime fully started. Funnily enough, before 2018 I had never been interested in anime at all growing up. Usually it's the case where people will grow up with it as kids and then shy away from it as adults, but for me it's the opposite. I love anime so much now and I feel like it'll always be a part of my life now, no matter how much it may change in the future.

It's what got me through university when I had basically no social life while there (I had to spend all my time studying and going to tutors because of my Aspergers/stage 1 autism).

This scene in particular is what made me re-evaluate what I want out of my life and what it truly means to go out of your way for someone and help them.

---

For video games, that's going to have to be Pokemon Diamond. It was my first Pokemon game and is what bolstered my love for video games in general. Yes I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad about the direction Pokemon has gone in since then, but my love for the series at its core will never die.

Tying in with anime, even before I started watching anime itself, I have fond memories of watching the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl series on TV as a kid. This opening in particular really slaps.

2 very important ones i forgot
  1. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. Kind of influenced some of my edge and I realised “this is weird but… im drawn to it? Huh this is actually cool?” Now here I am
  2. Illumination Lorax movie because Onceler. Iykyk. Shameful part of history

Back