• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games you were excited for that disappointed you?

My biggest disappointment has to be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX. I played the original Rscue Team Red (which, along with Rescue Team Blue, is what DX is a remake of), and loved it. Too bad my GBA doesn't work anymore. So when I found out this game was going to be remastered, you bet I was excited. But when I acyually got around to playing DX, well...

I could complain about it for days. I'll just mention my biggest peeve with this game: it almost plays itself! Really! It should have been called Baby's First Mystery Dungeon. I plan on selling my copy and byuing Rescue Team Blue instead.

The Pokemon games in general have been disappointing. Ever since Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby (which were excellent), they have been going downhill fast.

I was sure I talked about this topic in detail in another thread, and sure enough, I did. Just to recap that post in a different manner:
Yooka-Laylee: How not to make a spiritual successor for a series you love
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts: How not to make a sequel for a series you love
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D: How not to remake the greatest video game of all time

• Love
Reactions: Bui
I remember that game. It felt like the team went to some 14 year old girl and asked her to write a OOC fanfic. Emil and Marta, I can't believe I remember their names, just felt so much like a fanfiction that some heart gushing shipper wrote.

Him hating on Lloyd in the beginning to the point of murder was hard not to dislike. Like they couldn't even really delve into the reason why. It was so weak.

SOMEONE SHARES MY OPINION!!! Like literally my exact feelings for this game was some kid's cringe self insert OC fanfiction and the OG cast was just there awkwardly sitting through this awful excuse of a romance.

But no really, I went into this game with the lowest of low expectations, Symphonia was an incredibly special game to me and I knew not to get my hopes up for a sequel because I KNEW I would be disappointed if I did. Didn't even buy the game straight away, kind of waited on it and eventually was like 'oh yeah I should play this' and picked it up used. You can tell I had no actual excitement for it...AND I WAS STILL DISSAPOINTED?? Like it was so bad I could not believe this was a legit game made by the same team and not some personally made fangame.

But that doesn't fit the thread since I wasn't excited for it, I would have to go with Yooka Laylee. I was big into the Banjo games so knowing the team was coming back with a passion project...and then they slapped Nintendo users in the face and I didn't even bother getting it (digital only is a real turn off for me), and then I hear it was pretty bad too so I'm glad I didn't waste my money.

Oh man, I have a ton of games like this unfortunately lol. Fresh off the top of my head is Rune Factory 5. I was just grateful that we were just going to get a new Rune Factory, since it'd been so long, and the love interests all had great designs! But it's a very buggy game and it's not nearly as extensive as RF4 was. I can kind of get it since they really put their soul into RF4 (maybe thinking it would be the last one, not sure?) but... meh. I wish they'd done more or included some updates.

SOMEONE SHARES MY OPINION!!! Like literally my exact feelings for this game was some kid's cringe self insert OC fanfiction and the OG cast was just there awkwardly sitting through this awful excuse of a romance.

But no really, I went into this game with the lowest of low expectations, Symphonia was an incredibly special game to me and I knew not to get my hopes up for a sequel because I KNEW I would be disappointed if I did. Didn't even buy the game straight away, kind of waited on it and eventually was like 'oh yeah I should play this' and picked it up used. You can tell I had no actual excitement for it...AND I WAS STILL DISSAPOINTED?? Like it was so bad I could not believe this was a legit game made by the same team and not some personally made fangame.

But that doesn't fit the thread since I wasn't excited for it, I would have to go with Yooka Laylee. I was big into the Banjo games so knowing the team was coming back with a passion project...and then they slapped Nintendo users in the face and I didn't even bother getting it (digital only is a real turn off for me), and then I hear it was pretty bad too so I'm glad I didn't waste my money.
I can't remember when I bought it. It was probably when it released or pretty close. But it became very clear from booting it up that this wasn't going to be for me. I don't think a lot of people share the same opinion because there's not a lot who have played the game or even remember it. I only remember bits and pieces. It's not only a bad sequel, it's just a bad game.

The main character has like this psychopathic demon inside him? And the girl main is like omg that's so hot I love that messed up side of yours. They just barfed rainbows, glitter, and fanfiction all over this game.

Yooka Laylee wasn't bad, but it left a lot to be desired. It was still fun! But if you want a true successor to Banjo Kazooie, A Hat In Time is that game. I'd love to see that group make another game like that or even a sequel. It has so much potential. I'd say that YL is a better sequel/homage than TOS 2.0 or whatever it was called.

I thought Bowser’s Inside Story was kinda gross (despite appreciating its creativity) and a lot of the Harry Potter video games (like 1-4) are so frustrating they aren’t fun anymore— like needlessly difficult. It’s even worse when you don’t know what to do and Ron’s like “Hurry up, Harry!” I’m like…I would if I knew what I was doing lol

Wreck.It.Ralph.

Saw the movie, loved it, heard the game was coming out...and couldn't believe how bare bones it was. So boring and bland, you can tell they just cranked it out as quickly as possible once the movie took off.
Not even a bonus Fix-It-Felix Jr level or anything.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. The trailers and hype leading up to it made it such a let down. The game starts off strong with the hospital section but quickly falls off and becomes repetitive with cut and paste missions. The game abruptly ends with Chapter 2 with no resolution to the story. The cut Chapter 3 could only be seen as a video if you had bought the collector's edition. Either way it was later uploaded to YouTube. The game mechanics were amazing but I felt like it wasn't fully used to it's maximum. All the cut content, etc...I could go on lol

I don't think anything will come as close as MGSV. I think Kingdom Hearts 3 comes second.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. The trailers and hype leading up to it made it such a let down. The game starts off strong with the hospital section but quickly falls off and becomes repetitive with cut and paste missions. The game abruptly ends with Chapter 2 with no resolution to the story. The cut Chapter 3 could only be seen as a video if you had bought the collector's edition. Either way it was later uploaded to YouTube. The game mechanics were amazing but I felt like it wasn't fully used to it's maximum. All the cut content, etc...I could go on lol

I don't think anything will come as close as MGSV. I think Kingdom Hearts 3 comes second.
^ this honestly, lot of it is routed to the way konami was treating kojima at the time he was still working for them

I got disappointed with Bendy and the Ink Machine, because it's boring and difficult, and Cuphead, because it is way too difficult...

And also, Cartoon Network: Battle Crashers, the gameplay is boring and repetitive.

Animal Crossing City Folk, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, The Sims 4 (knew it would be a disappointment from the second it was shown, though). Also, Ocarina of Time 3D. I was excited for Diamond/Pearl remakes until they actually showed them, I instantly knew they were going to be a major disappointment compared to past Pokemon remakes (excluding LGP/E, which shall not be spoken of).

One game that I didn’t like very much was Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity. Stupid first boss fight of the game took me two years to clear because I kept being defeated and thing is I was an Axew and didn’t have any type disadvantages in the fight. That sort of ruined the Mystery Dungeon games for me. I also didn’t like Pokémon Conquest very much and found it to be too easy to the point I 100% the game twice in only five days and this was even before the free DLC was released. Other games that greatly disappointed are the two South Park games that are on the Switch (just couldn’t get into them), Sonic Colors Ultimate, and Lego Brawls which lied about having “fan favorites” as the only branded characters you could have were Ninjago, Monkey Kid, and Jurassic Park and didn’t even have the option to use Wildstyle, Harry Potter, or even Lego City characters like Chase or Rex. Plus there is no offline single player mode and I hate playing multiplayer games especially when I’m trying to learn how to play the game! There’s a reason I never participate in online matches in Smash.

Last edited:
I was very excited for Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, and I even enjoyed most of it, but then the ending revealed a surprise twist that ruined the whole experience for me retroactively. The ending changed everything in the whole story, and I was extremely disappointed.

Back