• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games you were excited for that disappointed you?

No game will ever be as disappointing to me as Bioshock infinite was. There was so many things that the developer said would be in the game during development that didn't end up in the final game. Infinite would be a decent game on its own if it didn't have to be compared to its far superior predecessors. But overall the game feels like it's trying to be more grand than it really is, and anytime they have something real to say they never really go through with it.
my boyfriend goes on about how disappointed he was in Infinite, i didn't like the first Bioshock so i never got into the later games but i've heard a lot about the dev cycle and all of the broken promises and lack of features.

I was excited for My Time at Portia when it first came out to consoles and got it on PS4. I did find the bugs I found funny, but figured they would get fixed eventually.
This basically never happened.

Eventually as I looked up how the other versions were doing, it felt more like the PC version was only what they cared about most. But I couldn’t rebuy it at the time(and didn’t want to, since I didn’t have a good impression of the devs). All the potential for a cute game...I mean, I had so much fun travelling by alpaca.

I might say Mario Odyssey. I don't have the game myself but have played it at my relatives house. I played and played thinking i was missing out such interesting things but no, it was just that boring to me <\33 I remember being so excited when i played the demo at target (don't ask lol) then once i heard my relative bought the game a while ago i was so excited to play it!!
Big disappointment honestly<\\3 i was so worked up for nothing fhhh

I might say Mario Odyssey. I don't have the game myself but have played it at my relatives house. I played and played thinking i was missing out such interesting things but no, it was just that boring to me <\33 I remember being so excited when i played the demo at target (don't ask lol) then once i heard my relative bought the game a while ago i was so excited to play it!!
Big disappointment honestly<\\3 i was so worked up for nothing fhhh
thats so sad! :( ive yet to play odyssey tbh

dragon age: origins is one of my favorite games, so i was very excited for dragon age 2. it ended up really, really disappointing me, and i've been a shell of a man ever since

Pokemon Sword/Shield. Dexit aside, I wasn't impressed by many of the new Pokemon, the story was weak and I didn't get much of a UK vibe from the locations outside of a couple of areas like Wyndon. Although Scar/Vio has a lot of problems, the general gameplay and the storyline felt more engaging.

I'm also gonna say The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning. It was touted as a prequel to the original games, which sounded intriguing. But information was scarce on it until they released it, and it turned out to be an edgy repetitive combat reboot. Pretty sure they deliberately remained silent on it knowing that a lot of fans would never have purchased it if they knew what it really was (myself included). I like Cynder, but I would have preferred her to be present in the original games instead, where she might have been able to have a personality that wasn't so angsty.

I was going to initially say New Horizon, because it's 50/50 that I like the game and also wish it had more to offer, but the biggest offender has to be Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

They were making the third Banjo Kazooie game and then all of sudden decided yeah screw that let's make it a racing game with janky car building and controls.

Oh yeah and recently Tales of Symphonia Remaster. Didn't buy it, but it's an embarrassment and they should be ashamed to call it a remaster. Cash grab is more like it. And I'm glad it got the flak it deserved.

Oh yeah and recently Tales of Symphonia Remaster. Didn't buy it, but it's an embarrassment and they should be ashamed to call it a remaster. Cash grab is more like it. And I'm glad it got the flak it deserved.
Oh gosh, that reminds me. I can't believe this isn't the first game I put in this thread.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

I've talked about it on this forum in a few other places, so to keep it relatively short: extremely unlikable protagonists, shallow and boring plot, half-hearted Pokémon-style monster catching mechanic that the game quickly discards once you reach a party of more than two characters, and over half the game is just recycled content from the first game. All things that would make the game "mediocre" at worst if it weren't for the fact that it's a sequel to one of my favorite games of all time.

This isn't even the worst game I've ever played. It's not a fun game, but it's functional. There's no game-breaking glitches, and the presentation is generally fine (though the first game still looks better and--in my personal opinion--has the better soundtrack, even though the OST for the second is also good). However, it is perhaps the first game I've ever played that just... truly made me regret my every decision leading up to that point. I would go so far as to say that if you purchase the PlayStation 3 collection, which includes both games, then Bandai Namco should be paying you the equivalent to whatever portion of the asking price is factored into the inclusion of the sequel, because otherwise you'll now have to contend with the psychological implications of knowing that you own at least one copy of it.

It's truly, truly a shame how this beloved game simply can not catch a break. Lackluster sequel, followed by a myriad of horrible ports, each worse than the last. It's been floating around that Bandai Namco may have lost the source code for the game, which is unfortunately something I have no reservations believing without any actual evidence. But I feel like if a couple of fans can spend an afternoon digging through files to create a slightly less bad version of an otherwise terrible PC port, there's no reason that the most recent remaster for modern consoles should be as absolutely horrid as it is.

I won’t say it outright disappointed me but Astral Chain. I haven’t gotten far in it at all since I got it near release and I was really looking forward to it because I loved Metal Gear Rising. It’s very well polished and feels like what I wanted it to but something didn’t click somewhere and I still have to figure out what, or revisit it soon.

Oh gosh, that reminds me. I can't believe this isn't the first game I put in this thread.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.
I remember that game. It felt like the team went to some 14 year old girl and asked her to write a OOC fanfic. Emil and Marta, I can't believe I remember their names, just felt so much like a fanfiction that some heart gushing shipper wrote.

Him hating on Lloyd in the beginning to the point of murder was hard not to dislike. Like they couldn't even really delve into the reason why. It was so weak.

I was very excited for Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It wasn't like the other Paper Mario games. It went away from the style I knew. I even thought Super Paper Mario was a little different but not drastically. Sticker Star was just... not a Paper Mario game for me. I was disappointed. I anticipated an amazing game like Paper Mario 64 and TTYD. Sticker Star was just going a completely different direction and it was not the same. I haven't looked forward to a Paper Mario game since. The series has just gone downhill, in my opinion. I really couldn't get into it.

A couple lol

Kingdom Hearts - I really really tried to give this game a chance, as I had heard so much about it and all the Disney was so appealing… and I just couldn’t omg
As I understand it Sora visits the Disney worlds before the events of their respective movies (correct me if I’m wrong here), and I just don’t understand why? The worlds are so boring because of that, there’s nothing going on that feels like random anime kid needs to be there other than shoehorning in Disney stuff :///
Also story is confusing af, I hate having to go into sub menus just to cast a simple spell (which leaves Sora wide open cause he grinds to a HALT when you open up the menus), and I just didn’t like how the Disney worlds were designed; very tiny with nothing to do :/

Mario Odyssey - First off, I actually am very fond of this game and have a lot of good memories playing it, but I do distinctly remember at the time being slightly disappointed with it in the end. I guess just the way Nintendo and the community was hyping it up then kind of inevitably ruined it a bit
Solid game overall, but not my favorite mainline Mario by any means

Super Mario Party - Again, I have fond memories playing this one, but much like Odyssey too much hype made it seem like it was going to be some fresh rejuvenation of the very milked Mario Party series. Instead we got pretty much more of the same, just some mechanics were altered slightly, with a grand total of 4 tiny boards and zero DLC afterwards 😐
Mario Party 6 will always reign supreme to me 😤

Kuon - a game I’ve not actually played myself but watched a playthrough, and my feelings at the end were a huge “meh”.
Kuon is an early 2000’s PS2 Japanese horror game and is infamous for how EXPENSIVE it is today (prices can skyrocket into $2k)
I love horror games, especially Japanese takes on horror, and with how much Fatal Frame scared me I had high hopes for Kuon to do the same and was ready to save up for it at some point, but I watched a playthrough out of sheer curiosity and…..
I’m just glad I watched first before paying a small fortune for a copy LOL
It’s partly cultural differences and needing an understanding of Japanese history to fully “get” the story and characters of the game, but even so, not even in Japan did it sell all that well 😥
I still hope to own a copy someday… but I’m not trying for it as hard now 🤣😅

You have no idea how excited I was for Pokemon Gen 4 remakes since almost a decade ago. My tumblr was literally sinnohremake and every Pokemon direct I would wish for gen 4 remakes. I remember when I was still on tumblr, I'd post every time there was a direct hoping they'd announce something for gen 4. When they finally announced it last year I cried and threw my phone, I was that happy to hear the news 😭 Then BDSP came out and my heart sank, I was expecting a polished game like FRLG/HGSS/ORAS but they literally just remade the same games. I tried defending the remakes in hopes that it'd grow on me but it just didn't. I bought the game for the sake of having it but I don't think I sunk more than 15 hours into it. In my brain Pokemon Legends Arceus is the cannonical remake to DPPt idc what anyone says 😭

Digimon Survive. As much as I'm obsessed with Digimon Adventure and as much as I want to enjoy a storydriven Digimon game, it just doesn't work. The pacing is off and the gameplay does not help, it actually bores me even more and I was thankful you can actually skip the gameplay. But I couldn't finish it, I got like 10-20 hours into it and did not feel the need to continue. I can only compare it to Danganronpa, a game I read very happily for tens of hours with loooooooong breaks inbetween actual gameplay.

You have no idea how excited I was for Pokemon Gen 4 remakes since almost a decade ago. My tumblr was literally sinnohremake and every Pokemon direct I would wish for gen 4 remakes. I remember when I was still on tumblr, I'd post every time there was a direct hoping they'd announce something for gen 4. When they finally announced it last year I cried and threw my phone, I was that happy to hear the news 😭 Then BDSP came out and my heart sank, I was expecting a polished game like FRLG/HGSS/ORAS but they literally just remade the same games. I tried defending the remakes in hopes that it'd grow on me but it just didn't. I bought the game for the sake of having it but I don't think I sunk more than 15 hours into it. In my brain Pokemon Legends Arceus is the cannonical remake to DPPt idc what anyone says 😭
Honestly, that was ORAS with me. There are some interesting improvements over the original, and the Hoopa rings provide some incentive to play, but the story changes and additions (particularly where they feel the need to justify in-universe the concept of a remake) are just so silly, and the lack of any Emerald-exclusive content just made me question why I even bothered picking it up. Because it's otherwise just RSE with updated graphics, dumbed down story, and gameplay that just constantly coddles and talks down to the player. And it's not like I even held RSE or even Gen 3 in general to a particularly high standard. My opinion at the time was that the originals were so barren by comparison that a remake could only be a good thing--and there are some genuine improvements--but the overall package is considerably weaker. Oh well; at least the music is much better.

For me, the Gen 4 remakes were just a continuation of the trend of remakes being either stale copies of the originals or considerable downgrades. So while I would have loved to have seen a Sinnoh remake that does those games justice, I couldn't be surprised enough to consider myself truly disappointed when they turned out to be quite bad.

YOU WERE SINNOHREMAKE??? Oh my god I remember following you, something just awoke in my brain when you said that LOL

Lover Pretend was this for me—don't get me wrong, it definitely wasn't all bad, and thankfully the one route I was really excited for was wonderful, and I still enjoyed one of the other routes. But the other three had me staring at my Switch like 🤨 pretty much the whole time. Reviews for it were practically glowing and I was seeing a lot of talk about it being a great cozy otome, very fluffy, the perfect break from darker titles, etc. etc., but oh boy did the majority of the game not hit those marks for me. While I do like lighter/fluffy otome and funny scenes and all that, I'm beginning to think full-out "romcom" otome are just... not my thing.

Back