• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games You Try To Avoid?

Lavamaize

Bells
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Rotating Fool's Egg
Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Perfect Apple
New Leaf Token
Perfect Cherry
Pink Balloon
Are there any games you try to avoid playing at all, and what are your reasons for doing so.

I personally try to avoid playing Minecraft, because it gives me a headache and nausea after 1-2 hours of playing it. I usually then feel kind of lightheaded for the next few hours after playing.

Persona 3 FES. The gameplay is very repetitive and you have little control over your party. Whenever I’m tempted to play a Shin Megami Tensei game I try to stick to Persona 5 or SMT 4.

I’m not gonna list the very popular ones because for obvious reasons. I try to avoid Super Mario Maker 2 as the video content I see on YouTube irks me. All I see there are just super extremely hard levels which turns me away, let alone the skill and creativity to pull it off. Don’t get me started with the click bait stuff and the all caps titles. This is coming from a person who played some of the Super Mario Bros. games.

I’m not gonna list the very popular ones because for obvious reasons. I try to avoid Super Mario Maker 2 as the video content I see on YouTube irks me. All I see there are just super extremely hard levels which turns me away, let alone the skill and creativity to pull it off. Don’t get me started with the click bait stuff and the all caps titles. This is coming from a person who played some of the Super Mario Bros. games.
I never bothered with Mario Maker 2. I don’t really find that I’d get much enjoyment in those really REALLY tough courses. Troll courses just look terrible too. I know some peeps get energy from those sorts of things but not me. I’ll stick to Kirby, thank you very much

The main game that comes to mind is probably Assassin's Creed. I feel like the game, on paper, sounds like something tailor made specifically to my interests. It's a historical fiction stealth game with beautiful worlds full of detail and very interesting character designs.

But then it has all this modern day stuff that weighs down the experience and just ruins the game for me. I played the second game for a couple of days or so and as much as I wanted to like it, I just couldn't get past a lot of its flaws. I'm sure there's a reason the series is popular, but despite checking a lot of the right boxes with me conceptually, in execution, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I can't play any 1st person games anymore without getting super nauseous. I accidentally (sleep-deprived 3am online purchase) bought Mirror's Edge and I got so sick in the first few minutes, it was crazy.

World of Warcraft... which ironically I love playing... I avoid playing it because I love it and it WILL be the only thing I focus on if I pick it up again... plus I don't want to pay $20 usd every 3 months just for me to have access to all the time and work I put into my character...

it’s silly and might not count but i avoid playing pocket camp since i first played that with my ex friends back when it first came out and now that i’ve cut ties with them, that game doesn’t have any fond memories for me. i tried to get back into it earlier this year and it was fun for a while since it gave me my animal crossing fix but there’s still too many memories attached to it and plus i got bored after like,, a week lmao. there’s a few other mobile games that i now avoid since ex friends introduced me to them but pocket camp is the main one, i guess🥴

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
I just prefer the classic Zelda feel. I played it for 15 minutes-ish on the wii u before I got my switch and it just didn't feel the same as the other Zelda games. Also I personally don't really like the idea of having a stamina system and tools breaking in that particular franchise so... not my cup of tea (everyone I know doesn't seem to understand that with me and pretty much anything else).
Can't argue against the graphics, though.

I tend to avoid horror (as I scare/get paranoid easy), anime games (final fantasy, fire emblem, its just what i call them and they just never interest me), and fps like cod.

dunno, stardew valley? dont vibe w/ it
doki doki literature club bc of the themes
league of legends, gets on my nerves when i get ads of it

Pretty much all of the popular shooters (Fortnite, Rainbow 6, Apex, Valorant, PUBG, Overwatch, CoD, Counterstrike etc) that have large overlaps in playerbase which shows because it's all just one good old toxic bleepfest. Same goes for games like league of legends. Even if I were to play and get good at any of those I can't imagine being proud of surrounding myself with that.

Second category: mobile gaming. Low effort, low quality games that all just rip off each other just to get people to download an app and buy imaginary upgrades.

I tend to avoid battle royale style games like fortnite and valorant. I love FPS but really not a fan of battle royale. Also have very limited tolerance of the toxicity of Overwatch and COD (Overwatch is arguably worse because if even one of your teammates is throwing, you lose whereas in games like COD it's more about your personal skill level).

Also, I dislike mobile games. Every single youtube video I watch has a "RAID SHADOW LEGENDS" ad - it's getting on my nerves. On the topic of mobile games, I dislike microtransactions in general, especially in games where microtransactions will give you gameplay advantage over other players. Similarly, gacha games are trash but addictive. For example, there is a SMT one and Fate one that I used to play and made me feel bad loool.

Also, hate mash-up games like Super Smash bros and Jump Force - basically cashing in on people's nostalgia and love for the characters.

Finally, I'm not a fan of playing horror games myself but more than happy to watch others play it simply because I'm not brave enough haha.

Fortnite. Not due to its popularity because I actually enjoy the game, but the building mechanic is just so intimidating. It's hard for me to get back into it again due to that. I find APEX Legends easier to get back into and just as fun. Also lately it's been Animal Crossing New Horizons. I've been in a huge rut with what to do with certain areas in my town and always feel overwhelmed by it. Seeing other people's towns and videos it makes me want to redo certain areas. I just don't want to copy anyone's idea. I want it to be original or at least have a twist that fits my creative style.

The Persona and Danganronpa series because I find both to be extremely overrated and the gameplay boring. Also MMORPGs because most of them aren’t that good.

Sue me.

I try to stay away from games with very heavy pay to win/lootbox mechanics, mainly because I know if I end up getting addicted to the game, it could be a massive IRL money sink for me, and I really don't want that to happen. I could barely resist spending a ton of money on fire emblem heroes when I was playing that nonstop for a year, so I don't even want to think what would happen if I got hooked on, say, CSGO crates 😰

The Persona and Danganronpa series because I find both to be extremely overrated and the gameplay boring. Also MMORPGs because most of them aren’t that good.

Sue me.
As much as I love the Persona series, it is very flawed (especially 3 and 4). I couldn’t agree with you more on Danganronpa though. The characters are so one-note and there are plot holes everywhere.

Sue me.
Do you enjoy other story and character-driven games? I loved Persona 4's cast but I understand that the gameplay - especially in dungeons - have you hoping you'll be done soon.

Dota 2, League of Legends, Valorant, Overwatch, and BR games (e.g.: Warzone, PUBG, Fortnite) are all games I avoid and cannot enjoy. Partly because I don't like being yelled at and that I simply don't enjoy them. Love other first-person shooters though!

Back