• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Game Awards 2023

Rainbowhorn

*Bakes cookies for all villagers*
Bells
Pink Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Crystal Tree
Holiday Candy Cane 2023
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Galaxy Swirl
Purple Star Fragment
Shooting Star Plush
International Space Cetacean Star Fragment
Blue Crescent Moon
The Game Awards just happened and I wanted to know what do you guys thought about it. Was the show good? Are you happy with the winners? Any game announcement that you're interested in?

For me I liked the presentation this year, more to the point and the music selection was cool. I'm mostly happy with the winners, BG3 sweeping was no surprise honestly. Lastly, I'm super excited about Monster Hunter Wilds, it's my favorite game franchise ever and the trailer looked pretty amazing.

watched the trailers of the announcements and made a list of games that i'm interested in (already culled a few tbh). interested in big walk (purely for youtube cahntent) and lost records: bloom and rage. at the momento i feel that i'm more interested in games that have been previously announced (eg haunted chocolatier, banishers: ghost of new eden, replaced) but that's probably normal??

poggers that sea of stars won best independent game!! think i'll rewatch the trailer for hellblade senua's sacrifice and dredge aswell

edit: okay so i just checked out the final fantasy 7 rebirth annoucement and i might be hitting it up (not played any final fantasy games before but idk the theme song do be slaying!!)

Last edited:
I dipped in and out of the show, but there were a few potentially enticing things I saw:

- The trailer for Visions of Mana was beautiful

- There was a trailer for some Metroidvania-like game that looked good, but I'm blanking on the name

- Sega bringing the heat with a new Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, and Streets of Rage game? Yes, please

- I had no idea what was going on during that Big Walk premiere, which is precisely why I'm looking forward to it

It's funny, I've been waiting for Jet Set Radio to go on sale so I could try it since it looks so stylish but now they're announcing a new game so looks like I'll hold out for that then! ahaha!

I watched most of the stream, but I have to admit that I agree with some of the commentators on the chat box - most of the games felt very samey this year, lacking in creativity. I could barely tell each game apart.

That being said, a few stand-outs that I saw: Golden Axe, Tales of Kenzera: ZAU, Visions of Mana and Black Myth: Wukong. Will definitely be keeping an eye on them!

The show was pretty disappointing, I thought.

The winners of the awards were hardly allowed to say anything. The music played them off far too quickly. Which felt incredibly disrespectful, especially for the one team who had a deceased member they wanted to honor.

The reveals were mostly underwhelming. I thought there were a few neat things. But, it was mostly the same old stuff. Typical generic shooters and weird fantasy games with the same "epic" trailer music played for almost everything. - A few standouts were Jurassic Park, Blade, and the Sega reboots.

On the subject of the winners...I agreed with most things. One major disagreement I have is actually with Tears of the Kingdom winning best Action/Adventure. It's basically just a rehash of Breath of the Wild. I think Nintendo could have taken a "L" here, and maybe reconsidered where they are in the current gaming landscape.

Spider-Man 2 probably could have and should have taken the Action/Adventure category. - I haven't played Spider-Man 2, and I don't even own a PS5 yet...but I did play the first Spider-Man game, which was phenomenal...and everything I have seen and heard would lead me to believe that Spider-Man 2 is probably more deserving of an award in that genre than TotK...especially since it won nothing else, and people seem to be very upset in that regard. Anyway...I just don't think TotK is an award-worthy game when compared to the other nominees. It feels outdated by almost every comparison.

I was watching a show on Netflix while my boyfriend was watching the game awards, and I glanced over at some point to see what was going on and I just see an uncomfortable close up of some old man yelling at the screen. Naturally I asked something like "what on earth is this?" and my boyfriend slowly swivels around in his chair and responds wearily: "A Hideo Kojima game." I'm like "Ohhh that makes sense," and then went back to the other show.

On the subject of the winners...I agreed with most things. One major disagreement I have is actually with Tears of the Kingdom winning best Action/Adventure. It's basically just a rehash of Breath of the Wild. I think Nintendo could have taken a "L" here, and maybe reconsidered where they are in the current gaming landscape.
Finally someone agrees with on TOTK, neat game but it feels like an expantion to me...

I’ve seen bits and pieces and it all seems fair and good. Not surprised about BG3 being the big winner.
(Save, of course, the part about FFVII Rebirth. I don’t like being reminded of the travesty that is New FFVII)

I never watch any award shows and don't care who wins or loses.

I will say, though, that I'm somewhat interested in Metaphor: ReFantazio, the trailer for which was shown during The Game Awards last night. I saw someone on Discord mention that ATLUS was making "Persona but fantasy" so I looked up the trailer. I enjoy Shin Megami Tensei and Persona, some of ATLUS's other series, so I wanted to see what they meant. It does have a bit of that Persona flare and aesthetic. The gameplay looks neat enough, and I'm glad to see that Shoji Meguro is doing the soundtrack. I'll be looking forward to seeing more about it in the future.

- Sega bringing the heat with a new Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, and Streets of Rage game? Yes, please

I didn't know about this until I saw this post, so I looked up the video.

I'm interested in the new Golden Axe and Shinobi games. I'm cautiously interested in the new Streets of Rage; I grew up playing the originals and love the Streets of Rage series, but this new game being 3D as opposed to 2D has me a bit worried. If they pull it off, great, but it's a big change and I can see it potentially being mediocre. I'd prefer if it was a 2D side-scroller like the others. I'll hope for the best though.

I've never played Crazy Taxi or Jet Set Radio, only seen them talked about over the years and seen some of them on YouTube. Maybe I'll look into the originals before these new ones launch.

I’ve seen bits and pieces and it all seems fair and good. Not surprised about BG3 being the big winner.
(Save, of course, the part about FFVII Rebirth. I don’t like being reminded of the travesty that is New FFVII)

Not to get too off topic, but I bought the FFVII remake and haven't had a chance to play it yet. What about it would you say made you dislike it?

Personally... I dislike that every FFVII game has to have a subtitle that makes it impossible to tell what it is. Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, Ever Crisis (seriously, what's up with all the varying crises?) and now they couldn't have just called it FFVII Remake Part 2, that would make too much sense! It's got to be FFVII Rebirth and sound like an entirely different game! This is just kind of a personal pet peeve I suppose, but I just like it when games are like... FFX, and then FFX-2.

FF7R is just a distasteful mockery of the original and completely divorced from it in terms of things like story, characterisation, and tone. Plus, it’s unnecessarily dragged out and full of more filler than Naruto. And the art direction is all over the place…
A lot of FF7R was also focused on drama, shock value, and pandering to the fan base over emulating the fantastic story, writing, and pacing of the OG.
As for the non-numbered VII games, Crisis Core is a prequel, Ever Crisis is a gacha mobile game that contains little new to the series, Before Crisis is lost media, and DoC is…
DoC.
Let’s just say it’s a good thing that it was never revisited.
I can definitely understand the desire for numbered games. However, as a Kingsom Hearts fan, numbered and non-numbered KH games signify different things, so I think it’s justified in a case like that.
FF7 just likes abusing subtitles lol
Most of the Compilation is dubiously canon anyways.
I also see it being difficult to number games like BC that focus on different parts of the universe. It’s a prequel, yes, but so is CC and they focus on totally different things, so you can’t just call them both FF7 Prequel/FF7 0
I suppose FF7 0 and FF7 0: Turks’ Side or something like that would work.
Post automatically merged:

To talk any more about FF7 would lead to me dominating the thread haha
Maybe I need to start a classic FF mega thread

Last edited:
The winners of the awards were hardly allowed to say anything. The music played them off far too quickly. Which felt incredibly disrespectful, especially for the one team who had a deceased member they wanted to honor.
this bothered me a lot too. like i get they don't want people going on for a real long time, but they def could have cut some of the real stupid segments in order to make time for celebrating the awards. yknow. at the game awards. like yeah ads are important to keep the show alive but there's some mad unnecessary things. the muppet sequence? the kojima/jordan peele thing that took forever? the stupid esports awards????? do the cute fun things but make em, idfk, shorter, if you're running so low on time that you're missing the whole point of your show which is the awards.

was super peeved off that neil newbon and tons of other people got hit with the "PLEASE HURRY UP" teleprompter with the music being raised over their voices. it's not the first time neil in particular got screwed over during an award acceptance speech at a ceremony and with TGA being such a big event, well... it really sucks.

otherwise, didn't see any games that interested me this year, i'm super picky on games tho so that's a me thing. except for that one game made by the guy that had that awesome cape draped over his shoulder which... i promptly forgot the name of. he said it was inspired by his dad. i'll find it later, that game looked sooo sick. either way, it's fine by me, i like voting and seeing my fav games of the year winning things and game talent being recognized.

Even though No Man’s Sky didn’t win Community Support, NMS fans had a FEAST that night. Tease on a sick-looking NMS update? Really awesome. Like really cool. But Hello Games decided to do something nobody ever expected. Make. Another. Game. Light. No. Fire. AGHHHH THE HYPE OMG

I found the beginning of the show with the indie games much more interesting than the rest with all the AAA games tbh. But that's probably because I don't buy many AAA games (tho I do want to buy them more in the future!), and the fact that I hadn't played a single nominated game yet lol. But I'm mostly excited for Big Walk, Pony Island 2 (the creator made Inscryption and Pony Island 1 is amazing!!), and Persona 3 reloaded! And I'm intrigued by the Hideo Kojima game, but I'll just watch a playthrough on Youtube cause I'm too much of a scaredycat to play horror games myself lmao

Back