• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Foods that you used to like/dislike but now have a different opinion?

Have you ever refused to try a food because you *thought* it was bad?

• Yes

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Shrimp! I wasn’t a fan of it at first (my first time was eating it peeled) and literally started tasting better when I my boyfriend’s mom made a soup with it with the shell and realized how satisfying it was to peel it off. It literally made it taste better.

Salmon - I didn’t like it before, but for the sake of a social situation I forced myself to eat it and held my nose to avoid the fishiness and it wasn’t bad. Now I can eat it just fine without holding my nose!

Burgers - I still hate them, but I can actually take little bites without gagging now so long as it doesn’t have anything I find too gross on it (like American cheese XP)

Chicken McNuggets - they used go gross me out sooooo bad but I’ve eaten them and they’re ok. Still not very appetizing though.

Pepperoni pizza - for a long time I had little conscious interest in it until it literally kept appearing in my dreams and I tried some cold Red Baron and it quickly became one of my favorite foods and remains so to this day.

I was picky as a child, but I think most children have picky stages. I became a lot more adventurous when I went veggie, then vegan. Prior to that, I would avoid all vegetables besides corn. Now a meal feels incomplete if there are no obvious vegetables. I also used to eat sweets all the time, but as I trained myself in adulthood to eat less sugar, many desserts have lost their sparkle. Naturally sweet things tend to shine much brighter now. 🥕

I used to hate pickles as a child, though now I like them. I especially like them in sandwiches.

Also, I hated sunny side up eggs as a child, though now I kind of like them, but only when the yolk isn't runny.

I used to dislike mushrooms because of the sliminess, now they're one of my favourite foods.

Last edited:
Milk. I hate milk it makes me gag, but as a little kid I loved it.
Ice cream and cheese doesn't bother me unless the ice cream melted...
Maybe it's a texture thing. Also milk stinks imo even though it hasn't gone bad yet.

it’s not a food, but orange juice. i absolutely hated it when i was a kid, even though i liked actual oranges, but it’s one of my favourite juices now! i just don’t like it when it has pulp in it haha

canned tuna has also grown on me over the years. i used to be grossed out whenever my parents made tuna sandwiches when i was a kid, but they’re not so bad now. i have to be in the mood for it to eat it, and i can’t eat more than a little before it lowkey starts grossing me out again LOL, but i’ll eat it!

I used to love raisins as a kid. I'd eat them out of the little boxes. Now I don't like the flavour. That's honestly the only food I used to like and now dislike.

I've learned to like lots of foods over the years. Kids truly have crappy palettes lol. I used to not like goat cheese, celery, tomatoes, baked beans, scalloped potatoes, peanuts, and nori on the outside of sushi rolls, are what come to mind.

idk if i count this, but mayo. I grew up being given 'miracle whip' being told it was mayo. THAT IS NOT MAYO OMG. I ordered a chicken sandwich from a restaurant I'd never been before, and didn't realize it had mayo before I ate it. Now it goes on, sooooo many different things...i just..can't think too hard about what it's made from or i get the ick

i was a super picky eater as a kid, and certain textures of food drove me away from trying different things for a long time. in the past few years though, i've really grown to love eggplant and mushrooms. both have a weird texture sometimes but i've started to especially love eggplant in dishes!

When i was a kid i had a bad experience eating rice and then i never wanted to eat it again. But recently I've been eating Sushi and i decided to try Onirigi, and it kinda made me like rice again!

I never liked olives and now I love them. I like the green ones better but eat either kind.
There is also Sauerkraut I try from time to time but I still hate it lol It's so common here that I really tried to like it.

Back