• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Foods that you used to like/dislike but now have a different opinion?

Have you ever refused to try a food because you *thought* it was bad?

• Yes

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
What are some foods you used to like or dislike, but now have the opposite opinion? I used to dislike pineapple. I assumed it tasted bad and refused to try it until more recently, but now I love it. I love it by itself and on pizza, lol. I also used to love Mountain Dew Baja Blast but now it’s just decent? I have to be in the mood.

There's a few foods that I used to like as a kid but don't anymore, most notably bananas and sausages. (I think the latter is fine, but overall I'm not a huge fan.) I really like banana milk, though. (I just put bananas and milk in a blender, aha. I don't add anything else to it.)

I'm starting to like hamburgers more, but I think it was just the way my parents made them that made it off-putting (making the patties way too thick).

As for the poll question, I voted for no. Even if something sounds bad, I'll try it regardless because it could taste better than it may seem. If I like it, great! If I don't, that's okay too.

I've always been a fussy eater apprehensive on trying new things that i ended up liking but the most amusing one i have is that as a kid i didnt like ketchup to the point of being afraid of it (likely becuz i associated it with blood). Then at my friend's 8th birthday party or something i was tested on my resolve as they rallied me on to try the ketchup on my plate with me chips and i liked it so much to the point of squeezing the bottle into my mouth. Real

I was already a picky eater from the beginning of my life, but I somehow became pickier over time. Broccoli, ice cream, and mayonnaise are all things I used to be okay with eating but not anymore.

I think milk is one of the strongest examples of this. I used to drink it normally as a baby, then when I was a little kid I switched to chocolate milk, then strawberry milk after that. Around the time I turned 10 I stopped liking milk entirely. Now my aversion to it is so bad that I’d say I have a borderline fear of it. I’m scared of coming into contact with it when near some, and even the mere sight can make me gag. For whatever reason I still love cheese, though.

A lot (probably the majority) of my food intolerances have to do with the texture, not the taste. I’m pretty sure that if I didn’t have Autism, then I wouldn’t be anywhere near as picky.

Sometimes. It really depends. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to trying new foods.

As a kid I used to like overly sugary food, junkfood, greasy stuff, sugary drinks, and would always eat a bologna sandwich for lunch at school and I hated ham as a kid. Now I like ham and find bologna and it's processed nasty greasiness disgusting.

i think i consumed most things as a smol bean. i don't think i liked pasta back in the day but i do be a mega fan in the present. also back in the day i said that i didn't like foods that i'd never tried before, but as soon as i tried them i (usually) was a fan

I used to love eating snails when I was really young. My dad would cook them in the shells with garlic butter, and we'd eat them with these tiny fancy forks to get them out of the shell. I loved it and we ate it all the time.

I saw some at a store once (as an adult) and thought omg I loved those things. But no. Not anymore, apparently. I couldn't even try them, and I can't believe I used to eat them...and like them!

As for food I won't even try - tofu (natto is close 2nd, but I actually tried that once, and only once). I don't know why, but the smell of tofu before it's cooked reminds me of formaldehyde, which reminds me of biology lab, and I just can't eat it.

There's actually quite a lot of things I used to not like but now quite enjoy. Tomatoes, fish, potato salad, chili, jalapenos... I used to dislike caramel for some reason. There's probably others that I can't think of right now. With that kind of list, you would think I was a picky eater, but actually, I was and still am open to pretty much anything. I think the only food I've ever dismissed without ever trying first would be lobster. But I would later learn that I was allergic to that anyway, so it's probably a good thing I had that instinct, even though now I wouldn't be opposed to trying it once if I could.

I used to HATE sweet potatoes, but I’ve tried them recently and they’re all right. Not my favorite vegetable, but I can eat them if need be.

I used to like box macaroni and cheese. Now I can't stand the processed cheese mix.

On the flip side, I used to hate mustard as a child, but now as an adult I really like it.

A food I never thought I would like was the spice cardamom. Me and my husband have been putting it in coffee, cakes, etc and with great success.

There are foods I have tried once and disliked, then tried again much later and loved. But I think I always give new foods a chance before deciding they're not for me.

Paella.
When I was little I hated it strongly. Then one day I asked my mom to make one, she was as surprised as me, and since then I do enjoy it - as long as there are no mussels or shrimps in it (which I realize removes some important ingredients of the dish)
Also red beet. It was only as a teenager that I started enjoying them 😋

i ate sour cream and onion chips every day for like 6 months as a 9 year old and now i cant even look at them without dry heaving

I always try to give foods a chance for the most part except for anything with coconut however when I was a kid I used to be disgusted by bell peppers! I'd never go near them, but now I really do love them!

Even though I have autism, I'm not a picky eater.

I'll eat pizza with any topping on it.
I'll eat almost any meat that exists aside from liver or octopus gut.
I'll eat most other things too.

HOWEVER, there are a few foods I will never like.

- Bacon
- Popcorn

I just don't like either of those even though most other people do.

ALSO, I absolutely despise anything with alcohol in it. I'm okay with others drinking it as long as they do responsibly, but as for myself I detest it. So have fun with that knowledge. :lemon:

I used to like Diet Coke and other carbonated (or non-carbonated) flavoured beverages in general but they gradually began to taste bad to me, so now I can't stand to drink anything other than water. Not that I mind, I love water!

On the flip side, I was always a picky eater, even well into my early/mid 20s but I am much more open to all kinds of foods now. I love vegetables and its awesome.

At the moment I can only remember things I used to like but don't anymore.
Oatmeal, grits, sausage, and popcorn are some examples. The first 3 I don't really like the textures of, and with a lot of meats like sausage it is even unpredictable which I do not like at all.
For popcorn I am just fed up with it always getting stuck in my gums and being the most painful thing I've ever eaten. It tastes good and smells good, but it is not worth it to me. (I get kinda sad smelling it at a movie theater lol)
I feel like I am just getting worse and worse about being a picky eater over time.

I hated dark chocolate as a child, but now I like it as much as, if not more than, milk chocolate! It was too bitter to me when I was younger

OH my lord, as a child I refused to try so many things when I was young. Anything at all really. I would say the most popular (or least popular items) were any sweets that weren't ice cream, hersheys chocolate bars, and real food like meatloaf, and a specific mac and cheese dish that my family always made. THAT one gets me so upset because they made it with pasta shells and velveeta cheese. I didn't like it because "iT wAsNt KrAfT" and I never ate it. So mom started making it oven baked with bread crumbs on top and I STILL didn't wanna eat it....and now IT IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE DISH OF ALL TIME AND I TOOK A GOOD 8 YEARS to fully enjoy it.

When I was younger I generally refused to eat any type of seafood because I thought it tasted bad. This is kinda the same now, I can’t stand most smells and textures but there are a few types I do like.

Also used to hate wasabi when I was younger, but love it now 💚

Back