• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

Fire Emblem Fates General Discussion: Filled with Nohrian Scum

I think what they're doing is that they're trying to please as many people as possible and boost sales. They do need money in order to be make more, better games. People liked the marriage and the children mechanic so they brought it back. Older fans were disappointed how the game isn't that hard so they made it harder and fixed the issues that were in Awakening (ex. no more super powered MU or units). That's why we have Conquest for older fans, and Birthright for newer/casual fans.

I personally don't care what they add to the game as long as the story is good. Awakening was disappointing to me compared to all the hype it had. I did enjoy pairing up characters and see how their relationship work out, but I felt it was too rushed, short, and could use more development. I was hoping Fates would improve that by limiting support options for deeper development, but I was disappointed to find it is as short and rushed as Awakening. Also, the kids are cute but Awakening kids actually had more plot involvement than the ones in Fates. I'm a bit upset they brought kids back cause that means less units that can be involved in the story.

I agree that the self-insert story is kind of odd, it's so obvious how it panders to the player. I don't trust what people say about the plot yet though, since I found out most of these people didn't even play the game themselves, didn't understand Japanese, and read fan translation. I'd wait until the game is out in English for a proper review. I did peek at Amazon reviews and they do point out that the pandering was unnecessary.

I'm super excited for the game since I loved awakening, however fates seems to have so much more fanservice added to it, the touching makes me super uncomfortable..

I'm hoping that's one of the features that can be easily ignored, haha.

It's one thing to do it with Pokemon, since they're more pet-like, but with humans or humanoid characters? Not so much my thing.

I'm hoping that's one of the features that can be easily ignored, haha.

It's one thing to do it with Pokemon, since they're more pet-like, but with humans or humanoid characters? Not so much my thing.

Yeah I don't see why they felt need to pet your fellow soldiers. Like if I were in the middle of a huge war, petting a soldier is not something I would do. And my goodness, that makes me feel so awkward and uncomfortable. I also hope that will ignored easily. And I'm only into story or anything aspects that add to the story.

Last edited:
Can we also talk about how Fates added a bunch of buildings, crops, and gems that makes it like Harvest Moon:Fire emblem addition.

Can we also talk about how Fates added a bunch of buildings, crops, and gems that makes it like Harvest Moon:Fire emblem addition.

Yeah that's true! But I hope I end up liking it. Then again, I don't know what most of things the buildings and such will do so I don't know xD.

It's not really that Harvest Moon-y, though? Literally all you do is talk to a unit outside to get the crops/gems, or go inside buy equipment. Most of the buildings are only used as "power ups" in My Castle battles, anyway.

Does anyone know when the Special Edition will restock in Canada??? Because I've read that the U.S. got a restock in pre-orders for it, and I'm hoping Nintendo is seeing that it is clearly sold out in Canada and that we too want restocks.

Does anyone know when the Special Edition will restock in Canada??? Because I've read that the U.S. got a restock in pre-orders for it, and I'm hoping Nintendo is seeing that it is clearly sold out in Canada and that we too want restocks.
It honestly probably won't restock. We're a month out from the game's release and the pre-orders you heard about the U.S. receiving were at Gamestop. These pre-orders were an error in the Gamestop inventory and many of the people who attempted to pre-order without putting down most of the money up-front no longer have valid pre-orders.

About the petting thing, there was an interview with a few of the higher-ups of Intelligent Systems where they were talking about how the idea came to be and how it got to where it is now. You can read a summary here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3wu9x3/on_facerubbing_in_fates_interview_from_the/ My thoughts? Fire Team B.

It honestly probably won't restock. We're a month out from the game's release and the pre-orders you heard about the U.S. receiving were at Gamestop. These pre-orders were an error in the Gamestop inventory and many of the people who attempted to pre-order without putting down most of the money up-front no longer have valid pre-orders.

About the petting thing, there was an interview with a few of the higher-ups of Intelligent Systems where they were talking about how the idea came to be and how it got to where it is now. You can read a summary here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3wu9x3/on_facerubbing_in_fates_interview_from_the/ My thoughts? Fire Team B.

Oh okay. Well thanks for telling me.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can reserve or pre-order Birthright and Conquest together, then Revelations separately, for roughly the same price as the all-inclusive bundle - you just won't get any of the little goodies like that pouch thing or whatever. That's what I ended up doing, anyway, through Gamestop. Not sure if they still have those options up but it could always be worthwhile to check. As far as I can recall, they won't charge you until your stuff ships, either, so that's something else to keep in mind. (Or maybe that was Amazon that had that policy...? So helpful tonight, I know)

With regards to the My Room stuff, I can't say I'm particularly bothered by it as it's optional content, I would assume. I've tried to keep my nose out of Fates-related threads on other sites so I can steer clear of spoilers, but even so, I don't remember seeing anyone saying the amie-esque stuff was mandatory; I would hope, at least, that you can bond with your fellow soldiers and whoever you end up marrying without necessarily going that route. At the same time, though, people did like the whole dating sim aspect of Awakening (people on the whole, not every single person - I know this seems obvious but I figure I ought to put the disclaimer there in case anyone gets defensive about it, lol) so I'm not surprised to see this sort of thing added, either.

Aaand now I'm gonna ramble!
I understand that the series isn't what it once was. Awakening inspired me to go pick up some of the older games, and there is a marked difference between the SRPGs that used to bear the title and the newer installment(s)... I really did enjoy Awakening, though, so I'm happy to see character interaction and develop friendships with my soldiers, y'know? Having an avatar character makes it feel a little more personal to me. It's not required for me to get into a game, but I do appreciate it when it's there in this case.

The storyline in the last game was a bit weak but it didn't tarnish my enjoyment of the game and I don't expect Fates will disappoint me either, whether the My Room bit is toned down or not. And I'm not sure if I necessarily think it should be, since that interview linked earlier makes it sound like it was already adjusted to a more appropriate level.

In terms of censorship, all I know is that I want to see that Soleil support changed, hardcore (that was one spoiler I wasn't able to avoid). Like, rewritten from the ground up. I'm sorry to bring up Awakening over and over here, but it's been a topic on recent pages of this thread and I don't suppose comparisons can really be avoided - but if the localisation team can rewrite entire characters (Henry, for example) during the translation process, for no conceivable reason, then this is one instance where they have every reason in the world to replace that whole hot mess with something less despicable.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm a little perplexed by the default name for the avatars. I'm not really sure how Kamui became Corrin. I mean ultimately I guess it doesn't matter since most people will end up changing the name anyway, but I'm sure there are other gender-neutral names that could have worked. Robin was a great one, but Corrin...? Meh.

Other than that, there's not much I know, so there's not much I can say until the game is in my hands and I actually play it. I mean I could go on about how bitter I am that gay players got shafted once more, but at the same time I'd... rather not make myself angry about it all over again, haha.

All that aside, I'm planning on playing through Conquest first. *waves pom-poms for Nohr*

I'm surprised, actually; in the circles I frequent online, it seems like Conquest is the popular choice. I'm not sure if it's the aesthetic or what. I just wanna see what's up with a certain bunch of kids on that side, honestly; I'll be playing them both so that was the only factor that swayed me when I made my decision.

I have no idea what's up with Revelations and I kinda don't wanna know until it's time for it to come out...

Unless I'm mistaken, you can reserve or pre-order Birthright and Conquest together, then Revelations separately, for roughly the same price as the all-inclusive bundle - you just won't get any of the little goodies like that pouch thing or whatever. That's what I ended up doing, anyway, through Gamestop. Not sure if they still have those options up but it could always be worthwhile to check. As far as I can recall, they won't charge you until your stuff ships, either, so that's something else to keep in mind. (Or maybe that was Amazon that had that policy...? So helpful tonight, I know)

With regards to the My Room stuff, I can't say I'm particularly bothered by it as it's optional content, I would assume. I've tried to keep my nose out of Fates-related threads on other sites so I can steer clear of spoilers, but even so, I don't remember seeing anyone saying the amie-esque stuff was mandatory; I would hope, at least, that you can bond with your fellow soldiers and whoever you end up marrying without necessarily going that route. At the same time, though, people did like the whole dating sim aspect of Awakening (people on the whole, not every single person - I know this seems obvious but I figure I ought to put the disclaimer there in case anyone gets defensive about it, lol) so I'm not surprised to see this sort of thing added, either.

Aaand now I'm gonna ramble!
I understand that the series isn't what it once was. Awakening inspired me to go pick up some of the older games, and there is a marked difference between the SRPGs that used to bear the title and the newer installment(s)... I really did enjoy Awakening, though, so I'm happy to see character interaction and develop friendships with my soldiers, y'know? Having an avatar character makes it feel a little more personal to me. It's not required for me to get into a game, but I do appreciate it when it's there in this case.

The storyline in the last game was a bit weak but it didn't tarnish my enjoyment of the game and I don't expect Fates will disappoint me either, whether the My Room bit is toned down or not. And I'm not sure if I necessarily think it should be, since that interview linked earlier makes it sound like it was already adjusted to a more appropriate level.

In terms of censorship, all I know is that I want to see that Soleil support changed, hardcore (that was one spoiler I wasn't able to avoid). Like, rewritten from the ground up. I'm sorry to bring up Awakening over and over here, but it's been a topic on recent pages of this thread and I don't suppose comparisons can really be avoided - but if the localisation team can rewrite entire characters (Henry, for example) during the translation process, for no conceivable reason, then this is one instance where they have every reason in the world to replace that whole hot mess with something less despicable.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm a little perplexed by the default name for the avatars. I'm not really sure how Kamui became Corrin. I mean ultimately I guess it doesn't matter since most people will end up changing the name anyway, but I'm sure there are other gender-neutral names that could have worked. Robin was a great one, but Corrin...? Meh.

Other than that, there's not much I know, so there's not much I can say until the game is in my hands and I actually play it. I mean I could go on about how bitter I am that gay players got shafted once more, but at the same time I'd... rather not make myself angry about it all over again, haha.

All that aside, I'm planning on playing through Conquest first. *waves pom-poms for Nohr*

I'm surprised, actually; in the circles I frequent online, it seems like Conquest is the popular choice. I'm not sure if it's the aesthetic or what. I just wanna see what's up with a certain bunch of kids on that side, honestly; I'll be playing them both so that was the only factor that swayed me when I made my decision.

I have no idea what's up with Revelations and I kinda don't wanna know until it's time for it to come out...

To get all three for the same price as the bundle, you need to buy one version, then buy the other two paths as DLC.

I'm playing through the Japanese version, and the gameplay in Conquest is by far the best. Higher difficulty, more varied objectives, and no grinding. Birthright is basically Awakening: the Sequel. Revelations is more of a mix between the two. Storywise, Conquest is definitely the weakest (I've given up even reading the dialogue at this point), with Birthright second, and Revelations with the best.

Also, I'm with you on Corrin. It went from a cool hero's name to what I imagine in my head as a weird Irish kid's name. What...

Maybe new fans find the predecessors boring, and Awakening brought fresher ideas, but I don't know. But it really seems to me like you won't like this game. But in the end, I can't complain because everyone is entitled to their opinion :). I personally just would not waste my time complaining about something that can't be fixed or changed.

New fans haven't played the older games lol, that's why they're called new fans. The older Fire Emblem games had complete trash marketing and pretty much had 0 advertisement up until the time of their release. I loved Awakening, and I loved certain mechanics that it brought, but ZombifiedHorror is completely right in what he says. Some of it is opinion but most of it is just fact.

New fans haven't played the older games lol, that's why they're called new fans. The older Fire Emblem games had complete trash marketing and pretty much had 0 advertisement up until the time of their release. I loved Awakening, and I loved certain mechanics that it brought, but ZombifiedHorror is completely right in what he says. Some of it is opinion but most of it is just fact.

Well saying it isn't going to be a good game isn't a fact. Because quite a few people are looking forward to it. Different mechanics is one thing, but you can't just think that because the game isn't what you want, that it's going to be a bad game. If that's what you are referring to, then no, it's not a fact...

Well saying it isn't going to be a good game isn't a fact. Because quite a few people are looking forward to it. Different mechanics is one thing, but you can't just think that because the game isn't what you want, that it's going to be a bad game. If that's what you are referring to, then no, it's not a fact...

You're right, it will be a good game in it's own right, I'm super excited for it, but when you compare certain qualities of it to past games, it no longer becomes subjective. I mean you can make the argument that everything is subjective but that argument is ********.

You're right, it will be a good game in it's own right, I'm super excited for it, but when you compare certain qualities of it to past games, it no longer becomes subjective. I mean you can make the argument that everything is subjective but that argument is ********.

I'm not trying to have an argument in the first place. It's just why are guys complaining about something that can't be stopped? I know maybe the mechanics and qualities aren't as good as the previous games, but you're wasting your time. You could be doing something more productive instead of talking negative about a game that a lot of people are actually quite excited to play. I honestly don't know if the game will be that good, but I personally, am really excited and I find fans, or in this case former-fans, who are talking crap about this game are really ruining it for everyone who actually like the way things are.

Do they stock more of the bundles than they have preorders because I'm willing to ditch school to go to gamestop at opening time tbh

Do they stock more of the bundles than they have preorders because I'm willing to ditch school to go to gamestop at opening time tbh

If you pre order it, then I think they have to reserve a copy/bundle for you no matter what, as long as it's not like a few days that you don't get it because they'll probably just stop waiting for you.

Back