Fire Emblem Fates General Discussion: Filled with Nohrian Scum

-headdesk- Why did I watch this? Now I want the game even more than I already did! x_x I'm so looking forward to this coming to Europe! ^_^

I know!!!! I lost it when I was finished watching it!

Last edited:
Interesting that they made Sakura sound older than the Japanese ver, and I think they did the same with Elise too. I don't mind cause the little sisters looks really young already. Azure sounds great! Her singing reminds me of Ariel from Disney. I like how both Xander and Ryoma are hammy haha, their voice suits their looks.

I hope they'll include dual audio again though, since some of my favorites japanese VA are there :(

Interesting that they made Sakura sound older than the Japanese ver, and I think they did the same with Elise too. I don't mind cause the little sisters looks really young already. Azure sounds great! Her singing reminds me of Ariel from Disney. I like how both Xander and Ryoma are hammy haha, their voice suits their looks.

I hope they'll include dual audio again though, since some of my favorites japanese VA are there :(

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the English VA! But I think they'll put dual audio, so don't worry!

Since, unfortunately, I've already had portions of the game spoiled for me, I looked at this to see how the English voices are. The Smash trailer made them sound so....bad... in English, but they're significantly better here. Corrin and Xander still sound just a bit off to me, though. I think Xander's is mainly lacking a more mature edge.

Since, unfortunately, I've already had portions of the game spoiled for me, I looked at this to see how the English voices are. The Smash trailer made them sound so....bad... in English, but they're significantly better here. Corrin and Xander still sound just a bit off to me, though. I think Xander's is mainly lacking a more mature edge.

Yeah, compared to the Japanese counter-part, he sounds younger than he looks. And while I don't really care about this, I hope Corrin's whole "I won't surrender" sounds better, and that they just did that to show the trailer.

Yep!

I'll probably still end up going for the Japanese track, because Camilla's Japanese VA is F!Robin's Japanese VA, and I really like one voice in particular, which they ended up using in Smash. It's like my MU's headcanon voice, haha.

I suppose M!Corrin's voice won't matter too much in my case though, considering I plan on a female unit.

Yep!

I'll probably still end up going for the Japanese track, because Camilla's Japanese VA is F!Robin's Japanese VA, and I really like one voice in particular, which they ended up using in Smash. It's like my MU's headcanon voice, haha.

I suppose M!Corrin's voice won't matter too much in my case though, considering I plan on a female unit.

I think I'm just going to do English, because I want to see the difference in Voice acting between Japanese and English.

Definitely understandable! I'll probably do English the first playthrough, and Japanese the rest, depending on how I like each voice.

For Awakening, the voices were pretty even with many of my favorite characters. There were some I preferred in English, and some in Japanese. Like Virion. Oh, Virion.

Definitely understandable! I'll probably do English the first playthrough, and Japanese the rest, depending on how I like each voice.

For Awakening, the voices were pretty even with many of my favorite characters. There were some I preferred in English, and some in Japanese. Like Virion. Oh, Virion.

Yeah that's also probably how I'm going to do it as well, especially since I love Azura's Japanese singing! :)

OH-EHM-GLEHH! I'm honestly really excited for the new birthright and conquer to come out. I'm not sure which to buy, oh swoon~

OH-EHM-GLEHH! I'm honestly really excited for the new birthright and conquer to come out. I'm not sure which to buy, oh swoon~

Well, if you want to enjoy character development and take the easier way, Birthright would be better. But if you want a challenge with limited Exp. and gold grinding, then Conquest would be better. But personally, it's also good to get both, since there are two sides to every story. And, if you really want to find out about all secrets to the kingdoms, then download Revelations on to the cartridge when released. :) But it really all depends.

I'm gonna play it in Japanese cause there's no way I'd miss Suwabe Junichi (Joker/Jakob's VA) talking in Keigo :lemon:

So now that we have a release date...
What do you guys think about the censorship that might happen to the game?
Will you be okay if they make any changes to the story/dialog?
What if they remove certain features (ex. inviting units to My Room)?

Last edited:
I'm gonna play it in Japanese cause there's no way I'd miss Suwabe Junichi (Joker/Jakob's VA) talking in Keigo :lemon:

I don't know if they'll really remove it completely, but maybe just try to make it a little more appropriate. Then again, I have no clue.

I'd be fine.
Some people got up in arms because they censored a character in Xenoblade Chronicles X, but she's 13. I really don't need to be seeing that much of someone who just barely manages to make the teenager mark. If it's stuff along those lines, I'm 100% okay with the censoring.

There's also this one conversation in particular that makes me really uncomfortable due to the implications, though I wouldn't be playing M!Corrin, so I guess I wouldn't see it.

My Room I'm pretty much ambivalent to, so I don't care one way or another? Some aspects of the game are a little weird, haha. I think they just upped the fanservice to a degree I don't really need and wouldn't miss.

Censorship is not a new thing in the Fire Emblem franchise. I expect it and don't care. At the very least they ought to change the Soleil-Corrin support.

I don't much care what changes they make to the story/dialogue, as from the opinions I've read of people who have either played the games or read what happens, the stories are kind of disappointing. Meanwhile, I don't expect to care about these characters because I didn't care about the ones in Awakening. Awakening's cast were so bland compared to units from the other games.

If they removed My Room and the ability to pet your freaking soldiers, that would be fantastic. The fanservice pandering is awful and pathetic. But they won't remove either of these things, because people are so crazy about their "waifus" and "husbandos."

Frankly, I don't think another Fire Emblem game will ever have another even halfway decent story unless they:

1) Drop the My Unit option. The stories no longer revolve around the journey your army is taking, but are instead focused on "you" and "your" decisions.

2) Get rid of any mention of time travel, pocket dimensions, Outrealms, etc. These were literally introduced in Awakening just because of the stupid children mechanic and the DLC encounters with the Einherjar of heroes and villains of the older games.

3) Stop giving us the option to use Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Roy or anyone else from a previous game in future games. They existed in their own games. They were fine in their own games. Quit dragging them through the mud and actually make a story that sells on its own merits instead of star power.

And yes, I do plan to get this game. I want firsthand experience with it. The negativity is because I love what the series once was and hope it can be again, and am disappointed with the current decisions.

Last edited:
Very excited for Fates indeed, idk if I want Birthright or Conquest yet, but I'm definitely going to choose Nohr, I really like Elise and Camillas designs as well so that's a plus lol

Last edited:
I think they'll censor out all the sexual stuff(bikinis and all that weird dialogue), probably remove any implications of anyone being related and able to marry, or forbid the marriage to companions. I just hope they don't censor the more mature scenes.
Not really, I think it's better to rate it M and leave the story the way it is.
I don't care honestly, wasn't a huge fan of Pokemon amie so I won't use it either way.

Censorship is not a new thing in the Fire Emblem franchise. I expect it and don't care. At the very least they ought to change the Soleil-Corrin support.

I don't much care what changes they make to the story/dialogue, as from the opinions I've read of people who have either played the games or read what happens, the stories are kind of disappointing. Meanwhile, I don't expect to care about these characters because I didn't care about the ones in Awakening. Awakening's cast were so bland compared to units from the other games.

If they removed My Room and the ability to pet your freaking soldiers, that would be fantastic. The fanservice pandering is awful and pathetic. But they won't remove either of these things, because people are so crazy about their "waifus" and "husbandos."

Frankly, I don't think another Fire Emblem game will ever have another even halfway decent story unless they:

1) Drop the My Unit option. The stories no longer revolve around the journey your army is taking, but are instead focused on "you" and "your" decisions.

2) Get rid of any mention of time travel, pocket dimensions, Outrealms, etc. These were literally introduced in Awakening just because of the stupid children mechanic and the DLC encounters with the Einherjar of heroes and villains of the older games.

3) Stop giving us the option to use Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Roy or anyone else from a previous game in future games. They existed in their own games. They were fine in their own games. Quit dragging them through the mud and actually make a story that sells on its own merits instead of star power.

And yes, I do plan to get this game. I want firsthand experience with it. The negativity is because I love what the series once was and hope it can be again, and am disappointed with the current decisions.

The whole about "your" decision is that they wanted to make the game revolve more around the Avatar than some character, like Chrom. I personally like that. And I personally think, that the children are to add more character development. And for the amiibo, do you see anyone playing games with Roy or Ike? Those games aren't around anymore. They want people to experience fighters from the previous games who aren't around anymore.

Ok the My Room is a tad bit weird, and I don't really care for that, but why do they have to get rid of it? Some people who are new to the series like the whole waifu situation. Once again, character development. They are also trying to appeal to a more general audience. They're trying to make a game that everyone can enjoy. Not just hardcore fans. Maybe some of the mechanics back then weren't selling, concerning how Awakening brought the new ones and was the only game to make over 1 million copies sold. That's not some coincidence. And I think Fates is going to do great, concerning how all the Special Editions are all Sold out almost everywhere (Nintendo please make a second run!).

Last edited:
Matt0106 said:
The whole about "your" decision is that they wanted to make the game revolve more around the Avatar than some character, like Chrom. I personally like that.
Yes, they wanted to make the game revolve more around your Avatar. And I feel that this is a terrible decision from a storytelling perspective.

And I personally think, that the children are to add more character development.
You talk about character depth and development but no one in Awakening has half as interesting a backstory or purpose as someone like Renault from Fire Emblem 7, Sephiran from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, or really most anybody. There are some uninspired and uneventful support conversations throughout the series, but a large number are really good. Chrom and Sumia's supports revolve around freaking pies! Who cares about pies?

But no one would know that because instead of going out and trying the old titles, people are content to just replay Awakening 72 times so it can continue to dominate the spotlight of the series as a whole.

And for the amiibo, do you see anyone playing games with Roy or Ike? Those games aren't around anymore. They want people to experience fighters from the previous games who aren't around anymore.
As far as the Ike and Roy argument goes, yes, I do know people who play the older games. I play the older games, entire Fire Emblem communities like Serenes Forest and the Fire Emblem subreddit play the older games. And they would do better to be left in their place in the series history instead of having watered-down, irrelevant versions of themselves walking around where they have no purpose existing.

Frankly, if they want people to experience these characters, they should just put their games on the Virtual Console.

Ok the My Room is a tad bit weird, and I don't really care for that, but why do they have to get rid of it? Some people who are new to the series like the whole waifu situation.
Good for them. They can ship all they want. Forcing everyone to exist solely so they can produce offspring does the opposite of develop their characters, it takes away from them.

They are also trying to appeal to a more general audience. They're trying to make a game that everyone can enjoy. Not just hardcore fans. Maybe some of the mechanics back then weren't selling, concerning how Awakening brought the new ones and was the only game to make over 1 million copies sold. That's not some coincidence. And I think Fates is going to do great, concerning how all the Special Editions are all Sold out almost everywhere (Nintendo please make a second run!).
No. The poor sales of the series had nothing to do with the mechanics. People in the West, even after being introduced to Marth, Roy, and Ike in Super Smash Bros. games generally did not care to try out the games if they even knew that they existed in the first place. You know why? Because Nintendo is terrible at advertising anything that isn't Mario or Zelda. Some people actually tried the games out, but by and large, it wasn't a large fanbase.

Awakening simply sold well because it was more well advertised and because a lot of newcomers were previously too scared of permanent character death. Which can be resolved with just starting the map over. But apparently pressing the reset button, which exists solely to reset games, is too difficult.

Fates is obviously going to sell well. It introduced new fans. Doing well in sales isn't the only important thing.

I don't mean to or enjoy coming off as antagonistic. It is just that as a fan and as a writer myself, I can't abide by Awakening being heralded as some great example of storytelling when it is comparatively boring and plain in all regards compared to its predecessors.

Last edited:
Yes, they wanted to make the game revolve more around your Avatar. And I feel that this is a terrible decision from a storytelling perspective.

You talk about character depth and development but no one in Awakening has half as interesting a backstory or purpose as someone like Renault from Fire Emblem 7, Sephiran from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, or really most anybody. There are some uninspired and uneventful support conversations throughout the series, but a large number are really good. Chrom and Sumia's supports revolve around freaking pies! Who cares about pies?

But no one would know that because instead of going out and trying the old titles, people are content to just replay Awakening 72 times so it can continue to dominate the spotlight of the series as a whole.

As far as the Ike and Roy argument goes, yes, I do know people who play the older games. I play the older games, entire Fire Emblem communities like Serenes Forest and the Fire Emblem subreddit play the older games. And they would do better to be left in their place in the series history instead of having watered-down, irrelevant versions of themselves walking around where they have no purpose existing.

Frankly, if they want people to experience these characters, they should just put their games on the Virtual Console.

Good for them. They can ship all they want. Forcing everyone to exist solely so they can produce offspring does the opposite of develop their characters, it takes away from them.

No. The poor sales of the series had nothing to do with the mechanics. People in the West, even after being introduced to Marth, Roy, and Ike in Super Smash Bros. games generally did not care to try out the games if they even knew that they existed in the first place. You know why? Because Nintendo is terrible at advertising anything that isn't Mario or Zelda. Some people actually tried the games out, but by and large, it wasn't a large fanbase.

Awakening simply sold well because it was more well advertised and because a lot of newcomers were previously too scared of permanent character death. Which can be resolved with just starting the map over. But apparently pressing the reset button, which exists solely to reset games, is too difficult.

Fates is obviously going to sell well. It introduced new fans. Doing well in sales isn't the only important thing.

I don't mean to or enjoy coming off as antagonistic. It is just that as a fan and as a writer myself, I can't abide by Awakening being heralded as some great example of storytelling when it is comparatively boring and plain in all regards compared to its predecessors.

But see, instead complaining about how the game isn't what you want, here's a good thought: just don't buy it. I know you said you want to experience it firsthand, but buying a game that you know you probably won't like is like going to a restaurant and buying a meal you know you don't like. I understand that from your perspective, it has terrible changes from previous titles, but you are only being negative. If you really don't like it, move on and don't buy the game because at that point you are just wasting your time and money for something you will 99.999999% won't like.

Maybe new fans find the predecessors boring, and Awakening brought fresher ideas, but I don't know. But it really seems to me like you won't like this game. But in the end, I can't complain because everyone is entitled to their opinion :). I personally just would not waste my time complaining about something that can't be fixed or changed.

Back