Strawberry Doll
Tortimer
Shadow Kitty Plush
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rose Crystal
Lily of the Valley
Pavé Pink Feather
I've been seeing a lot of photos online of rooms people have created, and they are stunning.

However, the way they are put together, you can't do anything. You can't sit in chairs, lie on beds, or turn lamps on or off because of the way things are placed.

In the real world, you can push chairs up to the table because they can be pulled out to use. Not so in-game.

So, how do you decorate? Is it for the looks or for the function?

for the most part I decorate for function but I think there's maybe a couple chairs throughout my house that you can't sit on? but they were more put there to fill a gap as opposed to me actually wanting to use them if that makes sense. I don't see the point in doing everything entirely for fashion, although equally I can understand why people do it.

Combination for me.

I have a few places where something that's usually interactive is unreachable, but I generally like a functional house that can be explored with relative ease.

It's a subtle balance! Theres definitely some times when sacrificing a little function goes a long way in the fashion department. But its also no fun to be in a room where you can't interact with anything.

Both. Majority is functional but I do have some that I can't use.
I have one bedroom and because it's stuck in the perpetual small square shape, the bed is unusable.

My goal is to tell a story as I can't really type it all out to visitors; so if that gets across that's all I care about.

Half-tile placements and walls being more accessible are lifesavers as I do like the look of cluttered decor; however, I don't like sacrificing usability entirely (although I do wish I could pull a couch right up to the table and be able to sidestep onto it as you would a stool). Or maybe the option to swing over the back? 👀

I try to keep most functional pieces such as beds/dressers accessible, but sometimes a TV or lamp doesn't make the cut among plants and knickknacks.

mix between the two. for some of the tables and chairs theres SUCH a big gap to make it work that it looks ridiculous and i can't take it haha

I like to do a mix of both. If I'm going to have an instruments, I have to make them playable, but if it's just a sofa or chair against a table, I don't mind not being able to access it. I really wish they brought back the ability to scooch between furniture like in Happy Home Designer. With how small most of the rooms are, that would have made it easier to make those spaces more functional.

I go for function, but my rooms are super crowded with furniture and are filled with 1 wide walking spaces.

I also do a mix between both of them. For my bedroom everything is accessible except for the chair that's in front of the desk. I tried moving the chair back but the gap between the chair and the desk just looks ominous and weird.
I think the kitchen, the bathroom and my tea room are the only fully accessible/functional areas in my house.

Honestly, for how much the upgrades cost, I wish we had a bit more room, but overall, I'm happy with my layout!

I’ve been seeing some really beautiful island designs online but most of the time there is so much to it you can’t walk around or in the display area which to me would bother me. Even like you said some rooms are lovely but just too much and I would like to be able to walk around.

In past AC games like NL, that had a decent amount of furniture to actually decorate with, I've always gone for function.

While cluttercore works well if you can do it well, my design philosophy on Espera has been "less is more." I just don't have the brain to figure out every little thing that could or should be in a space (especially when I would have to re-use so many things due to lack of options), so I typically just have the bare essentials with a lot of walking room. I've grown to love having open clearings of grass, as long as there's enough to make it not feel barren.

I, um, also prefer a lag-free island experience.

Why choose between one or the other when you can have both? 😆 Just like many others, I value both function and fashion! I like having access to some key furnitures, such as my wardrobe, my mirror and my bed all the while seeing that my room is pleasing to the eye! I haven’t found the need to sacrifice one over the other yet. 😊

definitely both for me! the one thing I don't want is to have a cluttered and hard-to-navigate island :')

I always do both.
Too much decoration will make me have a hard time moving around or doing stuff on my island.

I mean, you can use chairs that are facing and against the table- but only if you can still access the side of them. Personally, I only have a handful of furniture items you can't use, including some awkwardly placed chairs, or benches with cushions on them (that you then can't sit on). But, for the most part, everything is functional. At the very least I try and have at least a functional mirror, wardrobe, and workbench in each house.

I'm unsure about my house. I'm in the process of just making a bunch of rooms that have themes I like. Such as tech, plants, a diner, etc.

I guess I do like functionality. I like being able to trigger the items and get great angle shots.

I always aim to cover both aspects! The only considerations I don't take into account too seriously are hanging wall items, especially if I'm hanging a television/wall lamp above something that's also interactable, like a framed photo, or non-couch seats in front of tables/desks. The rooms in my main character's house resemble the dream house I'd love to eventually own in real-life! My S/O's character has rooms in his house that are less realistic in nature for a typical house (e.g. arcade lounge upstairs).

Back