• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Does anyone do any kind of crafting or has thought about giving it a go?

HaveACool

Bells
Hey guys,

Would love to know if anyone does any kind of crafting or has thought about starting out, but doesn't know where to begin?

I cross stitch, knit and just recently started crocheting. Would love to hear what everyone else is passionate about :)

I regularly crochet (mostly doilies and tablecloths), make earrings from everyday objects and sometimes clay and make art (traditional and digital).
I did try knitting (it was super hard for me to keep the yarn on the needles, so I switched to crocheting), cross stitch (it took so incredibly long for me to finish a small pattern, don't get me wrong tho - I had fun!! But I'd need to have a lot of time on my hands to pick it up again) and embroidering (it makes such pretty results, but it has the same issue as cross stitch for me).
I'd really love to try making something bigger with clay definitely and try my hand again at knitting!!

A few years ago, I tried working with polymer clay to experience what it was like to use another type of clay besides non-baking clay and there were tons of new things that I learned while sculpting many characters with polymer clay. My first attempt at producing something with polymer clay was an Octoling from Splatoon and it was so fun learning how to sculpt with the clay and the texture of the clay felt different from the other modeling clay that I previously worked with. I also drew traditional art during my life and used many art materials to make different styles on my artwork. I find it thrilling being able to work with something new when it comes to crafting. It's a ton of fun either trying out something new or going back to an arts and craft activity that you used to do during the past.

I used to crochet when I was 7 and then picked it up again when I was around 12. I made teddybears and I was actually pretty good at it. I would love to crochet again, but that was a long time ago, and it would take too much time to get back into it.

I tried a knitting class for a very short time, I was able to mostly knit a scarf but didn't end up getting it off the needles. I did enjoy knitting though, not sure why I stopped going to the class. I'd probably pick it up again, and/or try crochet!

I also did a bit of hand embroidery and I do intend to go back to it, but it just takes SO. LONG. to do even a square inch of embroidery.

And then there is sewing, which I wanna do a lot of -- I've made dice bags, a couple of simple zipper pouches (though they could be better), a cover for my sewing machine, 4 circle bag attempts and 1 completed circle bag that I don't use for a couple of reasons. I love making bags but I have to get better at sewing!

i sew very occasionally, i've only really done mends and fixes to garments but i plan to start making stuff with sewing. i have plans to make plushies but my sewing machine is broke and i dont want to buy a new one right now. id also like to get into decoden case making.

i do graphic design if that sounds as crafting, probably not since its not tangible

I knit and do some counted cross-stitch. I would like to learn to crochet, but haven't sat down to figure it out yet. I also collect dolls and do mods on them - rerooting Barbie doll hair, making outfits, etc. Anything to keep my hands busy. :)

Been crafting for many years. I love making things with my hands. I picked up crocheting and knitting in my teens. As an adult, I discovering how much fun I could have with polymer clay!
myclaycurlygirlsnad.jpg

These are all tiny. Girls are thumb-sized and kitties are coin-sized. I just like really little, colourful things.
I did a lot of cross-stitching in my later adult years and now I only sew my own designs. I have a lot of fun making my own charts (I like them small because I have no patience for big projects) and picking the colours.
mycrossstitchprojects-owndesigns.jpg
I like to sew with felt too. Again, I enjoy the process of designing what I sew. So I don't buy patterns. I just make my own.
myfeltstuff-andetc.jpg

I drew Trafalgar Law (from the anime series One Piece) first, then cut out all the pieces of felt I needed and sewed everything together. The kitty with the shifty eyes is on a phone case. The last two on the right are bookmarks.
Some crafts like modular origami and costume jewelry making, I learned from online tutorials.
myjewelrymaking.jpg

mybracelet5.jpg

i paint and draw and would like to earn my living doing that, but i've still a lot to learn. i also do very basic embroidery and would love to one day be able to make those beautiful embroidery hoops that look like paintings

I really like to draw and am decent at crochet (stuff like scarves, hats, or amigurumi) I want to get better at sewing too, but don't know where to practice it.

I know a couple patterns to make embroidery floss bracelets with, but I'd like to expand and maybe get into cross-stitch or embroidery too. I've got a lot of embroidery floss, but I only need/can give away so many bracelets. 😅 I was also really into rubber band bracelets and crafts in my teens, but it could be very frustrating at times and I fell out of it. I still have the supplies, though, if I ever want to get back to it.
I've also sewn a couple of wonky plushes out of old socks, following Youtube tutorials, but that's kind of what I do when I need to de-stress by letting myself be bad at something.

I'm currently working on a latch hook project. It's just a template from a box, not an original design or any such thing, but it's relaxing.

I bought a crocheting kit and am trying to teach myself to crochet. Having a difficult time with it though. I think I need someone to show me how to do it in person instead of just watching videos of people doing it or looking at books. I really want to make a bunch of stuff like blankets,scarves, etc, so I'm going to keep at it and hopefully get better! :)

I regularly crochet (mostly doilies and tablecloths), make earrings from everyday objects and sometimes clay and make art (traditional and digital).
I did try knitting (it was super hard for me to keep the yarn on the needles, so I switched to crocheting), cross stitch (it took so incredibly long for me to finish a small pattern, don't get me wrong tho - I had fun!! But I'd need to have a lot of time on my hands to pick it up again) and embroidering (it makes such pretty results, but it has the same issue as cross stitch for me).
I'd really love to try making something bigger with clay definitely and try my hand again at knitting!!

Ooooh I'd love to try clay work! It's definitely something I don't see a lot of people doing on social media. Cross stitching is so time consuming, but therapeutic too! I'm still not sure I'm knitting properly and I've been doing it since I was 11 haha. I think once you've mastered knitting or crochet mastering the other one is so difficult. I hope you can pick it up again :)
Post automatically merged:

A few years ago, I tried working with polymer clay to experience what it was like to use another type of clay besides non-baking clay and there were tons of new things that I learned while sculpting many characters with polymer clay. My first attempt at producing something with polymer clay was an Octoling from Splatoon and it was so fun learning how to sculpt with the clay and the texture of the clay felt different from the other modeling clay that I previously worked with. I also drew traditional art during my life and used many art materials to make different styles on my artwork. I find it thrilling being able to work with something new when it comes to crafting. It's a ton of fun either trying out something new or going back to an arts and craft activity that you used to do during the past.

Oh I'd love to see your Octoling! I'd love to do things with clay, but I'm worried it'll be another crafting addiction haha. I used to draw a lot when I was in high school, but I wasn't very good at it. It is definitely fun to work with something new and try new and more complex things. It makes the craft feel fresh and more engaging :)

Last edited:
I like knitting but im boring so I just make squares (use them as napkins and stuff). kind of want to do a bigger project but I have short attention span so i just keep making napkins lol

back at home I made cold-process soap a bunch but I haven't done it at uni yet. looking to get back into it but it's a bit finicky at times. it's also kinda dangerous if you don't know how to handle chemicals since you need to use sodium hydroxide (lye) which some people find scary haha. but i'm a chemistry person :p
if you want to try out soap making i'd recommend melt and pour before cold-process lol. melt and pour you can do a lot of creative things with without having to worry about mixing chemicals together (the saponification has already happened so it's not dangerous anymore)

I used to weave but I no longer have access to a loom. What I'd really like to try is pottery! There are a couple of workshops near me so I might even give it a try.

I do cross-stitching and plastic canvas a lot, I don't quite have enough materials to tackle all the projects I want to do but hopefully someday I will :)

someday I would love to try my hand at plushie making but it seems like such a daunting craft to start that idek where to start :,,,,,,,)

I'm not really an arts or craft person, but I DID create some miniature construction-like things years ago back in middle school. Not sure that can be considered crafting though.

Back