• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you tip for takeout? (Input from both patrons and staff appreciated!)

Mr.Fox

Fantastic
Bells
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
I've been getting mocked for years by family/friends for doing this...but I tip when I go in to pick up takeout from restaurants. I know everybody was being extra generous to the food industry over the pandemic...but I was doing this way before 2020.

I'm frequently told I'm wasting my money/not obligated to tip since I didn't dine-in.

What I want to know is...

Patrons: Do you ever tip when picking up takeout? Do you feel obligated or just generous?
Staff: If you currently work in food service/have ever worked in food service, how do employees feel about the subject?

no. it's not customary to do so in the UK, to my knowledge. i've never heard of anyone doing it, so if they do it's super rare. if you order takeout, i believe it's usually factored into the delivery cost, and i think there's an option to tip further, but otherwise tipping in general just isn't a thing here.

which is why this question might've only been directed at americans ajdkskala but there's my foreign input.

no. it's not customary to do so in the UK, to my knowledge. i've never heard of anyone doing it, so if they do it's super rare. if you order takeout, i believe it's usually factored into the delivery cost, and i think there's an option to tip further, but otherwise tipping in general just isn't a thing here.

which is why this question might've only been directed at americans ajdkskala but there's my foreign input.
I appreciate all input red :)

it depends on the type of restaurant i guess. I usually do tip something for carry out at small restaurants or where im a regular customer.

I don’t usually tip for takeout, no. I know people do sometimes tip takeout at the restaurant I work at, though. My dad, however, does tip at takeout all the time.

Tipping culture isn't really a thing in the country I live in.

Although if they deliver to my house I will just round it up. It isn't a kindness though. I just want to close the door and eat. 😂

I only tip in restaurants where you dine in or if I get something delivered. If I drive there to pick it up, I don't tip.

As a customer, it depends on the restaurant. If it's a big chain restaurant, then I don't usually tip for take-out. I'll only tip if I dine it. But if it's a small locally owned business and especially if it's a place I frequent, then yes I will tip. I will tip more for dining in, but I'll still tip a small amount for take-out because I want to support them.

I live in the US, by the way.

If there's a tip jar and I have cash/coins, I'll tip. But I'm not usually one to go and pick up some takeout, too much social anxiety for me.. also probably not as common in Australia than it is in the US!

For the most part, yeah. I don't have takeout often but when I do, it's local places that I like and want to support. I always opt for pick-up for smaller businesses and give to their tip jar.

I personally don't but that's bc I often don't have enough extra money to tip for takeout. the only time I give tips are when I'm dining in somewhere (which is very rarely) or if I order pizza :>

I wont tip if I'm picking up a takeout order. I briefly worked as a hostess and I was told not to accept tips, so I figure it's unnecessary. I think some restaurants will enforce a rule where if some workers like hosts, bus etc receive a tip, they're required to split it among several different workers.

I don't tip takeouts, most are expensive as is and I'm not paying more than needed, it's not that it's some fancy diner with white tablecloths and fancy waiters.

Delivery yes, pick up not usually. it depends on the place and situation. If I order pick up where they bring it to my car then I tip. Sometimes I tip just for getting coffee if I feel like it.

I always tip on takeout, since the server is still helping my food get to me by packing it nicely in boxes. I tip a bit less for drinks though, just a buck or two vs tipping regularly on food orders.

I always tip on takeout, since the server is still helping my food get to me by packing it nicely in boxes. I tip a bit less for drinks though, just a buck or two vs tipping regularly on food orders.
This is probably the closest to how I view the scenario.

I don't tip for takeout because I don't normally order takeout, but I do tip the max amount for every Uber ride I take since I know gasoline prices are crazy these days.

i’ve never tipped when picking up takeout (but then again, i don’t do that, either lmao. i always either dine in or have the food delivered), nor have i ever met anyone who does, but i don’t see why you’re being mocked for it. i personally think it’s nice of you to do that. i’m sure everyone you’ve tipped has greatly appreciated it.

as for dining in, i always try to tip 20% of what the total cost was (as that’s what i’ve heard is a proper amount. i’ll tip more or less depending on the service i got as well), and i always tip the automatic amount (which is usually $5-10) whenever i order food through doordash or uber eats.

i live in the UK and i always tip for take out, i feel bad otherwise + i figure since i have money to do so i should since they're always super kind and quick and it's probably not the most well paid or easy job in the world. i do think tipping culture is bad tho lol

Back