• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think Pocket Camp was testing the waters for certain things in New Horizons?

Mr_Keroppi

🐸Hoppy Little Frog🐸
Bells
Switch
2869-7771-1393
Green Bunny Balloon
Psychedelic Snow Bunny
Moon Bunny
Snow Bunny
Daisy Easter Egg
Toy Hammer
森
Dreamy Party Popper
Spirit Candy: Pierrot
Leaf Ticket Easter Egg
I do! I feel like the team wanted to see if things like crafting would be good in main series games. Also I think that even if NL had PWP's I think that PC's campsite builder type thing was already testing it too! The market plaza area is also kinda like Harvey's camp and Mainstreet combined and so on. I really wish fortune cookies were in NH but more like in NL! I wonder if there would be a certain way to obtain without bells or play coins since they are not in this game?? WHAT IF WE USED NOOK MILES FOR THEM. I have many ideas and this is basically just a way to get my thoughts out! If you have anything to add tell me! :D Have an amazing day/night!!!

yes, i haven’t played pocket camp very much and this is a very small feature but i remember when they put out a limited time wig collection. one of the wigs looked a lot like one of the default mirror hairstyles in new horizons.

the wig im talking about in specific:
A96E4883-9458-42B8-BADC-82BAD20839AA.jpeg

looks a lot like this nh hairstyle:
2095056D-CD3A-4F82-A10F-E931CA5E5398.jpeg

maybe nintendo was trying to see how people would react to different hairstyles?

also not a pocket camp thing but i think that nintendo was testing us with the meow coupons for nook miles

In some ways yes. They were testing how crafting was working, although I do prefer how the crafting works in Pocket Camp compared to how it is in New Horizons.

I don't think so. Pocket Camp is just like any other mobile game: to make extra revenue. A lot of Pocket Camp's furniture and other things (such as the wigs) are far superior to what New Horizons will ever have, and it has to be that way in order to get money out of people.
Oh interesting! I was talking about 2017-2019 PC. It still had good items but I feel like it was less GIVE US YOUR CASH than it is now. LT's are pretty easy to get and the game is still really fun even if you dont spend a penny! You just need to save a little with your LF's kinda like Gems in Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage. I appreciate your opinion and thought too! :D

I concur with what @your local goomy stated. PC was originally supposed to be something of a SimCity game, very different from the main games. Ironically, the conception was scrapped for being "bare-bores". Yeah, because the actual game definitely isn't basic and simplistic at all.

I concur with what @your local goomy stated. PC was originally supposed to be something of a SimCity game, very different from the main games. Ironically, the conception was scrapped for being "bare-bores". Yeah, because the actual game definitely isn't basic and simplistic at all.
I am seeing alot about what all of you are saying! I think that they just wanted a way to make TONS of money and also expand the fanbase through mobile since they have made many other franchises mobile now, thanks for your thoughts!

I am seeing alot about what all of you are saying! I think that they just wanted a way to make TONS of money and also expand the fanbase through mobile since they have made many other franchises mobile now, thanks for your thoughts!
When they introduced "Leaf Tickets" it became the whole microstransaction for AC that turned a lot of people off. They had so many cool looking items but you've had to use those Leaf Tickets just to get them.

No, but I think it inspired them in some way. Like Pokémon Go was popping and then they created Pokémon Let's Go using those mechanics. But I think NH was already in the making and PC kinda gave a hint at the existence of crafting maybe. ACPC is moreso just the ultimate mobile AC experience, for better and worse. It's good that the main game wasn't too much influenced by that, if at all.

I don’t think so. Pocket Camp is just an app where you have to spend money to obtain anything near decent. On the contrary, I think Nintendo was trying to familiarize people with Pocket Camp. You have to connect Pocket Camp to your New Horizons to obtain the items from that game. Those are some of the better items in New Horizons, so obviously you’ll be tempted to download the app just for those items, had you not previously played Pocket Camp. If you downloaded that app just for the code and started playing because you found it interesting, Nintendo makes money. All good in their eyes.

Not really, I mean you can tell PC got all the money and attention and "testing" took really long if they added stuff from it at all in the main NH game. Seems they want(ed) to keep them rather separate which definitely sucks.

Nah I kinda disliked pocket camp it was my first experience of ac and it felt flat. It was the only reason I never picked up New leaf and new horizons at all until the recent year and last few weeks. But the crafting was weird but I think outdoor design came from pocket camp and transitioned to new horizons pretty well

I don’t think so. Pocket Camp is just an app where you have to spend money to obtain anything near decent. On the contrary, I think Nintendo was trying to familiarize people with Pocket Camp. You have to connect Pocket Camp to your New Horizons to obtain the items from that game. Those are some of the better items in New Horizons, so obviously you’ll be tempted to download the app just for those items, had you not previously played Pocket Camp. If you downloaded that app just for the code and started playing because you found it interesting, Nintendo makes money. All good in their eyes.
Ok, so I know this is a pretty old post. But I am curious….I downloaded pocket camp a month or so back. I am not a fan of mobile games and generally never download or play them. I downloaded it out of curiosity and played a couple of days. @Croconaw are you saying by playing the mobile there are some items you can get that you can add to your NH game? That might incentivize me a bit more. I abhor microtransactions and refuse to just on principal, lol. So if it isn’t anything I can get through grinding, I guess I still won’t use the mobile.

Ok, so I know this is a pretty old post. But I am curious….I downloaded pocket camp a month or so back. I am not a fan of mobile games and generally never download or play them. I downloaded it out of curiosity and played a couple of days. @Croconaw are you saying by playing the mobile there are some items you can get that you can add to your NH game? That might incentivize me a bit more. I abhor microtransactions and refuse to just on principal, lol. So if it isn’t anything I can get through grinding, I guess I still won’t use the mobile.
I haven’t played either game in so long, but there are items in New Horizons simply by connecting your Pocket Camp file. They are obtainable on the machine you use to buy things using NMT.

Back