• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you pronounce words diffrently then others?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Ypu know the old saying

You say Potatoe and I say Potato

Ever since I watched this one stream and the guy kept prounouncing Book as Baowk (kinda sounds like rhat would how you spell it) Ive started to pronounce it as so. Drives everyone crazy but its just natural for me now.

How about you?

I think everyone says things a little differently, given dialect and all. I can’t think of anything specific off the top of my head. I’d say I speak pretty normally.

Crayon comes out as crown for me.

Midwest here, except half my family is from Appalachia so, that was picked up on some.
Some consonants in some words are pronounced lighter than "how they should be" I guess.
I pronounce them but my spouse(from Minnesota which probably doesn't help lol) says he can't hear it even if I say the word he thinks I'm saying and the word I was saying right afterwards. Sounds like the same word to him.
He also says I sound like I'm mumbling all the time, but I'm not. Lol.
Unfortunately I can't think of any specific words right now as examples and he's busy right now.

Last edited:
i say am-BAL-lance instead of am-BU-lence, idk if it's different but my mom thinks its weird.

im in the midwest, so we tend to shorten words for no reason. crayon becomes "cran," mirror becomes "meer," or is "er," etc.
Same, plus I say jewelry as "joolry".

I also tend to pronounce "women" as "woman". The difference isn't that noticeable for me.

On another note, I read abbreviations in my head differently than they're supposed to be pronounced. For example, Etc. as "Etic", Jpg as "G-pig" and Lbs as "Labs". But I usually pronounce them the intended way out loud.

I know the correct pronunciations for salmon and macabre, but sometimes I just refuse to acknowledge them
Like, what's cooler to say?
Muh-cawb, or 🎊 ma-cuh-bray 🎊

I will never forget the way I got bullied by my close friend for how I said 'full'. We were at Red Robin and I was getting full, so I said 'I'm fool' (FULL), and they go 'you're fool?' and I was like 'no..? I'm full.' and they went; 'you mean you're full?' and they just kept laughing at how I pronounced full. I guess there's no ool, it's just uhl. ;w;

I pronounce "grocery" like "gro-shur-ee". I actually never realized I wasn't pronouncing it right until a couple years ago.

These ones aren't super different but it's "paas-taa" for pasta, "pee-can" for pecan, and "puh-jamas" for pyjamas.

I'm from New Jersey...so, I guess I have a New Jersey accent that I just don't tend to think about. - It definitely isn't the kind of absurd, over-the-top Jersey accent that you hear in film and television. - I'm not over here sounding like "Hey, I'm walking over here!"...I guess my speech pattern just tends to sound a bit "biting". Like, I'm constantly told that I sound angry...even when I'm not...and I curse a lot, which probably doesn't help. So...instead of being like "It's a beautiful day today", I'll be like "It's [bleepin'] gorgeous today", and people will be like "What's wrong with this guy? There are children afoot." Lol.

One time when I was a kid, I asked my mom for a quarter so I could get a toy from one of those capsule machines at a pizzeria. - I said "Mom, can I have a quarter?"...and the woman working the counter leaned over and said "You can have some water, sweetheart." And I was like "No, no, no...you don't understand." Hahaha.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely. I come from the northern part of our country and our dialect is described as being more broad than the high language. When I was studying in the middle part of our country fellow students often picked up on the different pronunciation and were amused. They never made fun of me or made me feel ashamed but rather found it endearing when I said certain words. It wa sa fun experience! Sadly, I only notice different dialects when others speak but don't hear or register the difference in my own spoken words.

Don't get me started on the southerners, they speak a different language altogether :ROFLMAO:

I am really immature. I laughed way more than I should have (or at all) with pee-can. Reminds me of Bob's Burgers. Where's my pee-can at?

Growing up there were a lot of words that I relearned because the pronunciations were wrong. Like wooder as water or how people don't realize certain words like drawer are spelled the way they are because of the region dialect they are used to.

I say the A in salmon like the A in “apple,” and pronounce the L. I have to put out extra effort into saying it correctly.

I also say syrup as “seeruhp.”

This is going to sound really silly since I'm a grown woman, but I often say 'aminal' instead of 'animal'. I know the correct pronunciation and use it in professional settings, but among friends or family I just prefer saying it the other way. It sounds cute to me.

Related to that, I also modify the names of certain species to combine it with the word animal.
Example: 'Goosamal' for Goose, 'Cowamal' for Cow, 'Meecimal' for Mouse

I sort of got that last one from a cartoon I used to watch as a kid where the cat pronounced mice as 'meeces'. I've been making up my own words for animals for decades now. I'll probably still be doing it when I'm 80.

For the longest time, I pronounced whether with a long e sound. Like wheeether. I remember reading the word more often than hearing it out loud, and assumed that because it's spelled differently, there's no way it could be pronounced the same as weather. Years of practice and embarrassment have broken me of the habit...

I have a hard time saying certain words. Particularly "environment." That's pretty much it though lol

I've always pronounced yucca like Yuka. I just found out yucca is pronounced with a u like in but this afternoon.

I mean it's not exactly like this for me but one good example of how I talk is "we're going downy ocean", which means "we are going down to the ocean".

Back