Do you prefer to get your town complete the old-fashioned way?

Do you care about doing all the work yourself to complete your town?

• Total voters

Onyx

Bells
As in, with minimal help from the TBT community! I think this mostly applies to catalog. But also with like.. hacks! Or buying igb. I'm sure it'd be easy (waaay easier) to catalog the t&t catalog if I asked everyone for help lol, but I only do for amiibos I don't have pretty much :) or dlc I missed out on. Imo makes it more fun to do most of the work if I can. But at the same time it's hard to keep track of across that much time!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I way prefer to play the game the old fashioned way. Pretty recently (as in my last spurt of playing) I bought a lot of stuff from the forums, but it was a lot of Japan-exclusive amiibo stuff. Even with the animals I want, very rarely have I come on here and been like "uhh, looking for this".

Also your signature is absolutely amazing.

Same!
Thank you!!!!
Side note, there was some funky glitch when I made this thread and it made two lol so I put the poll on this one

i don't really look for anything from others apart from amiibo items (i cant scan mine on my 3ds lol) or any dlc i didnt get heheh

I got that external scanner piece, I just don't have a lot of cards :)

I'm sort of a completionist, so I thought it would bother me to not be able to get dlc/exclusive/amiibo items. But I'm actually pretty ok with it. Just playing the game in my own pace, "completing" it as much as I can on my own. There's some of the RV/dlc items that I find pretty cute, so I might one day maybe ask for help with those but I'm in no hurry. Same with collecting the badges. I would never use cheats or time travel either.

Cataloging, I would need help from others. But everything else, I can do it on my own.

I've gotten the gold catalogue badge on my own, but since I missed out on buying the RV Amiibo Cards when they were available, I don't feel bad at all about purchasing items from other users to get that exclusive furniture. Other than that, I like landscaping pretty much solely on my own and since getting the 100 million bell achievement, IGB aren't really an issue.

I want to have more than one town and to one of each!
My current town I completed mostly without help. On here I bought the items I want etc. but most of the IGB and badges I earned myself on my first character without any help.
I want to get a second town and get mostly help on that one, since I completed the first copy of the game without help.
I also want to get a third copy and hack it :)
Then I will get the best of all of them haha
Tbh it?s kindw hard to get the streetpass badge though without help

Personally I think all those hard works are one of this game itself. Since I'm very self-content type of person, the harder I work, mooooore fun it is. I haven't gotten any help from others in any of my towns regarding catalog/badge/breeding rare flowers/etc. Just the only exceptions, one pants that were never going to show in my game for years - my friend in this forum let me catalog it - and EU/US/KR holiday exclusives.

Working hard on my own is the fun itself to me. In the first place... I sell not normal amount of stuff here because... I work on too enough... and items keep stacking up; that I couldn't use all my self...

when i first got animal crossing new leaf, i had already hacked my 3ds, so it was simply too easy for me to hack my town. i basically completed my town and it was just SO boring then. i realized that my favorite part about the game was the progression. so since then i've had one town and i've hacked a little (get rid of some rocks/move a villagers house off my orchard/grab a golden shovel, etc...) but the majority of the work in my town is done by me because it makes me feel better and it's something i can be proud of.

so yes, i'm fine with a little hacking, and of course im fine with buying things off the bell tree forums like flowers and clovers, but the majority of my towns progression is something i want done by me. even if i buy something off here, i'm still placing it in my town so that feels better than clicking my mouse a couple times and the flowers spawn in my town lol.

Yeah I prefer to work on my town the old fashioned way. Playing the game feels more fulfilling and awarding that way.I don't hack or TT myself but I see no problem with it. People should be able to play the game the way they want. I do everything in my game by myself with no help whether it's earning badges or landscaping. The only thing I get help with is the catalogue. I don't see anything wrong with that because it would be impossible to complete the catalogue otherwise. There are so many DLC and region exclusive items that are impossible to get now especially if they got into the game late.

Last edited:
I'm so -was- old fashioned, for years I didn't join any forum site, and even when I did I still couldn't do any trade at all due to my piece of crap mobile hotspot WiFi. Then I lost that ability for a few months, so I had zero online play. Now that I have actual WiFi, I'm going hardcore into trades and orders; items, DLC, WA, villagers, ect... I even have a shop and a giveaway.

Even thou I want to get villagers by my own elbow grease, it's hard. I lucked out with getting Tia on my 5th plot reset try, and everyone else in Moriyo was from years of play. Even with 4 towns and trying to cycle as many villager out in 3 of them, I still couldn't get all my dreamies. Treehut is almost complete with villagers because I bought 4 or so of them here.

Long story short, as much as I would like to complete my towns on my own, buying villagers and items here helps out ALOT, so I don't think I'll stop anytime soon.

i've never completed a catalog before, and even though i want to eventually, i feel like it's nearly impossible unless i started when nl first came out. i've never completed a town, either. i don't really play with the mindset of "completing" a town. i just play to play. i don't have a goal in mind

lately, if i need igb, i'll help some members around the forums to adopt a villager they're looking for. other than that, i don't really use the forums to help complete my catalog, or to get hybrids or anything. although, i have been thinking about asking for items, mainly just to decorate my house (or town) and not for cataloging purposes

So I started out this way but i?ve Been playing this game and have had multiple towns for so many years now i?m definitely getting help. Especially because I want my towns to be at least mostly complete by the time New Horizons comes out!

My main town I did most of the work on myself. I only just started heavily buying the items that seem to never pop up in my town as well as misc stuff in general to complete my houses. But I mainly played this town without help.

I also buy igb on occasion but this is mainly for my secondary town which is more about the aesthetic and landscaping than it is about the museum and badges. So I don?t mind buying things for it regularly!

I try to do as much as I can on my own because that makes it more fun for me and it feels more like an accomplishment. The only things I got from other players were some DLC items that I would not have otherwise been able to access and a breeding pair of blue roses because I only got one blue rose to spawn after attempting to breed them for over 6 months. Other than that, I bought all of my own landscaping supplies from my own shops, obtained all furniture within my own town, and bred all of my own hybrid flowers.

I can imagine, though, that when I start working on my second town, I will probably get a lot of supplies from my main town. I won't feel the need to do things so slowly the second time around and if everything comes from my main town, it's still my hard work and my accomplishments. At least, that's how I would view it.

I prefer to do the most I possibly can myself to get the most out of the game. Obviously there are going to be items out of my reach such as regional items, so getting items from others is alright to me.

Last edited:
I developed my town the old fashioned way. I didn't find out about this forum until like a year after the game had come out so maybe if I were to restart now things would be different. I did buy regional exlusive items here or ridiculously rare island shop stuff. I couldn't be bothered to deal with Club Tortimer sorry

I want to have more than one town and to one of each!
My current town I completed mostly without help. On here I bought the items I want etc. but most of the IGB and badges I earned myself on my first character without any help.
I want to get a second town and get mostly help on that one, since I completed the first copy of the game without help.
I also want to get a third copy and hack it :)
Then I will get the best of all of them haha
Tbh it?s kindw hard to get the streetpass badge though without help

My boyfriend has a ds too so I just make him keep it on, slowly working toward the street pass badge :) .... UNLESS IT HAS TO BE DIFFERENT PEOPLE :O I NEVER THOUGHT TO LOOK INTO IT UNTIL NOW.... UH OH HANG ON

- - - Post Merge - - -

I developed my town the old fashioned way. I didn't find out about this forum until like a year after the game had come out so maybe if I were to restart now things would be different. I did buy regional exlusive items here or ridiculously rare island shop stuff. I couldn't be bothered to deal with Club Tortimer sorry

I'm definitely concerned about club tortimer. I think I might do it on my second town just in case I get hacked. Ridiculously scared of losing all my progress, because like most have said in this thread so far! I also enjoy the game for the progress :) I think villagers are a different story though, I COULD buy a bunch of amino cards or I could just visit a shop on here and pay with tbt :)

Back