• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you like to do speedruns of your games?

.: Meri :.

-love brought me some eternal petals-
Bells
Switch
1708-1067-1998
Island
Lostglade
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
I find speedrunning really impressive, but I don't know how people do it—trying to complete something as quickly as possible, shaving seconds (or even fractions of seconds) off your time, where any tiny slip-up can ruin your run... I'd be way too freaked out, I couldn't do it. ;u; Even time-based achievements in games, or things like Rush Mode in Slime Rancher never again stress me out. If I really like a game, I usually prefer to try to aim for completion or hunt for trophies at my own pace.

But I'd like to hear what other forumgoers like to do! Have you ever attempted a speedrun (formal or informal) of any game? Is it something you'd like to try? Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!

No. I like to take my time with games. It feels like I'm not getting my money's worth if I'm rushing through things to finish it. I haven't felt the need to try it nor do I ever see myself trying it. I like to play at my own pace which is slow, haha.

i do. i never try to achieve world records, but i enjoy speedrunning the games. speedrunning to achieve a world record usually takes alot of time, patience and technique. the only thing i have is time.

i know quite a few techniques for quite a few games, but getting a world record, you have to do it perfectly. frame perfect. i dont have enough patience to do that, or get a world record.
i would rather spend my time trying to 100% games.

Once I achieve a certain level of familiarity with games, there is fun to be had in bulldozing through it to see how fast--and possibly by extension, how sloppily--I can do it. I'd never do it for the sake of competition or in hopes of achieving a record (and my skills will never be up to par in that regard anyway), but simply to test the limits of the game and myself as a matter of personal curiosity. Sometimes it's just fun to see the areas that used to be something I'd approach methodically become a complete joke.

Only certain games. There's this Pokémon fangame called Solar Light & Lunar Dark that I know the ways around to beat the game as fast as I can.

(What I'm about to tell you is very long, so I put it in spoiler)

• I start the game with the Fire Starter, make my way to Serpentine City with the first Gym, use two passwords from Password Pat, those being EGG and PING. Those give me two Pokemon, one to take the Lucky Egg from and box it, and one I am going to use for the rest of the run.

• The one Pokemon I'm using is a Water/Ice type, Pinglett (Which evolves into Pinglade) that has an attack boosting move with priority STAB attacks + Freeze Dry that will make the run as smooth as possible. I also have to make sure the Water/Ice type is a female so I don't run into a specific female only Pokemon, Lophug with cute charm as it's only main ability that I HAVE to fight later on in midgame.

• I teach it Headbutt by replacing it with Celebrate which it learns for some reason. It also has Bubble Beam, which I use until it learns Aqua Jet at level 42, that's when I evolve it with a Water Stone.

• After beating the 1st gym I must grab an X Speed so I can outspeed the 2nd gym leader's ace.

• On the 3rd gym, I catch a level 14 Flawk with a Dusk Ball (And yes, I have to speedrun this game at night due to this one Pokemon's Catch Rate being an abysmal 100 rather than a 255!) that I'll trade for a Toxidon to assist with the 3rd gym. I must use 3 rare candies I gathered on this traded Pokemon. I then grind it to level 22 to teach it Poison Tail for two very important fights. This is also the only time I use Switch instead of Set throughout the whole run.

• Gym 4 is very fast, nothing wrongful goes here, but I have to be careful as there's this one trainer who can softlock your save, but since I'm fast enough I needn't worry here. It's also the only time I use an escape rope after I pick up the Rock/Steel fossil as one of my rivals will have the Rock/Fire fossil which will be an advantage on my end. The 4th gym is a cakewalk as long as I get the boulder puzzles right.

• Gym 5 has a landmark with tons of trainers that I have to keep track of how many moves I use. I pick up a Water Stone before I reach said location. After that I pick up a Heart Scale from an NPC. There are also a few trainers using Pokemon with the ability Flame Body, so I have to be prepared by getting Full Heal in the trash can before the 5th Gym's city, and Burn Heal inside the 5th Gym as it's a Fire Type Gym. This is also the gym where I replace Headbutt with Hone Claws when I face the 5th Gym Leader and keep it until I get Swords Dance. I also earn another Water Stone by trading a Soda Pop for a specific Pokemon I need later.

• Gym 6 and beyond is where things get a little techy, I have to evolve my mandatory Baawool into a Baabble so I can teach it dive after I beat Gym 6. When making it to Rassic City, I must use fly to skip a Rival Battle. While at Greenpine City, I buy the HM for Dive and 11 X Special Attacks for the 8th Gym and Pokemon League Tournament. While fainting this mandatory Fakemon Cryodro in Cascade Waterfalls, I go pick up a fanmade move called Razor Blade to replace it with Aqua Jet AFTER I BEAT THE 6TH GYM which I'll be using to sweep through the entirety of the way to the 7th gym, with lots of Ice types, and so is the gym.

• Gym 7 is where I use dive on my Baabble in a specific spot in Rainbow Reef to skip a chunk of story. I make my way to Subhail City where I use fly to skip another rival fight. I do what I have to do to fight the 7th Gym Leader.

• Then I get stopped by my rival and have to fight this fangame's two evil team leaders, I have to say no then go to Sailport Town to relearn Aqua Jet with the Heart Scale I obtained. After I thwart their plans I head over to beat the 8th Gym by spamming Freeze Dry and X Special Attacks against bulky water types.

• It is now time for the Pokemon League, I use my sweeping skills to mash through every trainer participating in the Battle League, the Elite 4 and Champion. The Champion's lead is a tough one to setup as he has a Pokemon which can mega evolve with Protean. But after all that the run is done.

Wow, that was a LOT to write. This is my favorite game to speedrun, so I'd like to improve my time each time I do it.

(And if anyone's curious, here's my recent time I beat the game in in-game time: (Keep in mind this is from 2021 where I didn't know the glitches to help me beat the game faster yet)

bandicam 2021-11-02 00-19-33-143.png

Last edited:
Speedrunning sounds too stressful for me to try. I technically beat Pokemon Yellow in no time at all, but that's from a glitch anyone can do and isn't really the same as speedrunning almost anything else.

I suppose I do casual speedruns? As in, not aiming for any records, just personal best times.

Unfortunately I get easily distracted by things when playing games I like, so I'm not the best, ha.

I don't. I mean, if there is an achievement to hit/unlock in game for time, I often do them, but I wouldnt call myself a speed runner.

No, speedrunning stresses me out. I couldn't even do the Gone Home achievement for it. 😭

Watching speedruns can be interesting, but I don't really want to do one myself. I feel like it would be stressful, and I'm the type who likes to take my time and explore everything when I play a game, so I don't think I'd enjoy rushing through a game, even if I'd already played it before

No, I don't have skill. On my first playthroughs I like to explore everything and do as much of the side quests as possible. Except for the grindy quests, because nobody has time for those. However, there are a few games where I tend to rush through the plot because the story is that addicting.

Rune Factory 4 and 5 are perfect examples of this, although for different reasons. In RF4 I wanted a certain character to be at Frey's wedding. This was on the 3ds version where town and love events were difficult to pinpoint; so I definitely had to rush through the third arc. In RF5 I made the mistake of playing on easy mode, which made the game too easy despite my best attempts to slow down. I managed to beat the story and Rigbarth Maze before Alice got to date anyone. Now that game feels more Harvest Moon and less Rune Factory.

Back