• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you keep the water running when you shower ?

Do you stop the water when soaping up ?

• Total voters
Huh I’ve never really thought about turning it off before, maybe I should consider it though to save water. But no I’ve always kept it running.

I turn it off more often than not! I’d sometimes leave it on when I’m feeling lazy… 🫣

I had no idea people turn it off haha no I just leave it on and soap the part of my body not under the water

I keep the water running throughout the entirety of my showers and didn't know until coming across this thread that some people turned it off throughout. During my showers, different areas get the focus of the soap scrubbing, during which time they're turned away from the water for a time before it's rinsed off. I turn around throughout the shower and do a few runs to make sure I'm thorough and sufficiently clean.

Wow I'm really surprised to see that almost everyone keeps it running !? :O I guess it truly is a cultural thing. Do you guys mind specifying which country you are from ?

When I cut the water and turn it back on, it's mostly at the right temperature already. Takes 1 or 2 seconds of adjustment, but it isn't back to cold.

I didn't even know people turn it off?? This is the first time I'm hearing about it.
I'm going to get cold if I turn it off...

i've never considered not keeping the water running, which is funny because i almost always turn the faucet off when i'm brushing my teeth. but i imagine it'd get pretty chilly without the water running. i do usually try to work efficiently when i'm in the shower, like while i'm waiting for my conditioner to do it's thing, i exfoliate and wash the rest of my body

I keep it running. Rip lol. I never even thought about turning the water off while I suds up.

People turn it off?? Nooo, the perfect temperature is not something I want to find twice in a shower, not to mention being cold.

During the summer I can turn it off when lathering because the temperature outside is in the triple digits. Even with the AC it's barely tolerable. I can't in the winter though. We don't have a heater.

I leave the water running purely out of habit. I never considered turning off the water, but it might be a good idea. I always step away from the shower the furthest I can whenever I'm using soap and shampoo, so it'd probably be easier to just turn off the water. XD Plus, it'll save water and energy, so another reason to do it, I suppose.

I’m really surprised to see that apart from one other voter everyone else keeps the water running! Where I’m from conserving sweet water is highly encouraged, because it‘s a very precious limited resource on earth and also saves dozens of liters down the drain that go on the water bill for no reason if I keep it on. Someone else mentioned it, but it really might be a cultural thing. I get angry glances from people even just leaving the tap on unnecessarily long. People here get distressed if taps in public bathrooms have a really long timer before they turn off 😂😅

What a very specific poll. Well, I keep it running I guess. Not sure why you would want to stop it unless you think youre saving water or something of that extent. I know in some drought prone places where stopping is recommended or mandatory. Not where I live of course (it rains here almost every day). I also like to keep it running to build up the heat. Hot enough so its not too cold, but reasonable so my skin doesnt burn.

interesting idea to turn it off in between lathering! i feel like its fine on a lot of levels but i don't trust the water heater in my building to actually bring the temp back up properly if i turn it off, after i finally get it to human-bearable.
to the question of water washing off the soap, i simply tilt the shower head down and step aside. 😂

Back