• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you keep the water running when you shower ?

Do you stop the water when soaping up ?

• Total voters

Cirice

Galaxolotl with a lunar sheen
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Flimsy Watering Can
Pink Crescent Moon
Orange Crescent Moon
So I just had a conversation on Reddit with people who claimed that those who didn't let the water running while soaping up were... weird ?
I've always cut the water when soaping up, because there's no use to keep the water running in my opinion. It's wasteful and it's going to remove all my soap.

I assume this is something that varies depending on how we were raised up and cultural difference. So now I'm curious. Do you keep the water running at all time when you shower or do you stop the water when you don't need it ?

I keep the water on. It helps spread the soap around my body and I’d be miserable and freezing if I didn’t have it running.

I keep the water running, if I turn it off then back on I have to wait for it to warm back up - granted it warms up quickly but I don’t like been cold waiting for it

I always keep it running whenever I'm in the shower. idk why you'd stop tbh

I keep the water running too. It's something I've always done, although I heard about turning it off to conserve water actually pretty recently, and I've been thinking about trying it sometimes... just maybe not if it's a cold day. 😅

I've never truly considered turning the water off part-way through. It sounds cold, but I appreciate your reasons for doing it! 💜

i keep the water running. i’ve always been mindful about turning the water off when i’m brushing my teeth until it’s time to spit and rinse off my toothbrush, but for some reason turning the shower water off while i soap up has never crossed my mind until now. i would probably feel cold and awkward if i turned it off tbh. i’ve never had to worry about it rinsing my soap off until i’m ready, because i switch the water to come from the tap instead of my shower head while i’m soaping up, and i stand away from the shower head while i’m washing my hair until i’m ready to rinse the shampoo and conditioner out.

i respect and appreciate your reasons for turning it off, though!

i'm pretty sure the chemistry of soap works regardless of being under the stream or not as it's not really meant to stay on skin like that (pay close attention the next time you keep soap on your body 5+ minutes out of water--I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to itch or feel hot, from my experience, though i do have very delicate skin in the first place. like it can clog pores and dry you out) also hygiene wise, i would assume it's more efficient to have water running. washing it off of you is how you repel the soap molecules off of you that pull the unwanted matter to themselves.

the water is not dissolving the soap, right? it's water phobic, yeah? if anything i'd think it will attract more "dirt" if you want to use the country fried euphemism for dead skin, bacteria, and our secret sauces off you as the water washes it away continuously. if this is just me being neurotic coming up with a justification for being neurotic and i am 30 and forgot high school science, please correct me.

also water conservation priority are large households, districts in drought and people that hang out in the shower over 25 minutes. also tub baths are really just you stewing with everything the soap washed off back onto you, and so all the water you ran to fill the tub doesn't really have a constructive purpose unless you are needing to absorb something you have put into that water into your skin, but then the legitimacy of those products are drowned in things that shouldn't go down the drain, so yeah?

i don't turn it off, but i have a tankless electric water heating system so it doesn't get cold on me and is only using water when it's using it if i was paying attention to the cute guy that did it in the right ways

I always keep it on because I don't want to be shivering while washing myself lol

I leave it on all the time. I don't like it to turn it off. I would feel cold otherwise lol

i remember back during some droughts we were often told to only use water when rinsing off, not for "showering." the idea is you get your body/a towel wet and thats enough for the soap to lather. but idk i don't like it. i always have the water running because my skin is freakishly dry.

Definitely leave it on, when I first turn my shower on it’s like water fresh from hell and it scalds my hand🤣 ain’t no way I’m turning it off to then scald my whole body

I do because I'm blind without my glasses, so getting into the shower and getting the temperature right (especially if I'm travelling and in a new shower) is such a struggle. But when I was studying in Japan, their showers were amazing. The moment you turned them on, the water was the right temperature! So it was easy to shut off the water stream, lather up, and then restart the water to rinse. If I could get my hands on one of those showers, I would definitely try to conserve more water.
Also those fancy Japanese toilets. With the heated seats. they really know what they're doing!

I turn off the water whenever I can so I can conserve water. I don't mind being cold for a few minutes. I feel guilty letting it run. In winter I sometimes leave a tiny trickle of warm water on so I can fool myself into feeling warm haha ^^' In summer I don't leave it running at all.

Back