Do you have any obscure childhood memories?

I feel like I have false memories I've possibly made up. Some things I remember are just way too wild to have been true. Maybe it was my imagination?

to be honest, all of my memories are obscure to me. i don’t remember much of my childhood, and what i do remember is broken up into confusing bits and pieces, and i don’t know the order that they go in or the context or even what happened before or after each memory. not having childhood memories that are exactly concise kinda makes me feel like i’m not real sometimes lol. all of my memories also have this visual fogginess about them and have a dark edge to them, almost as if i dreamt them instead of actually living through them. because of that, plus my parents sometimes making me feel like i’m crazy and always denying that these things happened when i ask (i’m not sure if i entirely believe them), i can’t tell which memories are real, and which ones are just dreams. some of them are more obvious, like my mom abandoning me at blockbuster or my parents yelling at me and then suddenly turning into some angry, monstrous beast, but some i really don’t know. there’ll never be any way for me to find out for sure, so i’ll always be wondering... which really sucks lol. it’s also enraging because some of those memories are downright horrible and abusive, and not knowing if my parents actually did/said those things (and the fact that it’d be believable if they did. they’re the type of people who would do/say things like what i’m remembering, and that’s awful) will always hurt my relationship with them, because my mind has accepted them as fact. i have a couple less depressing memories that i don’t mind sharing, though lol.

the first one is from when i was very little, like 4-6 or so? my parents, grandmother (mom’s mother) and my mom’s niece were there. i had just been given this new toy phone. it didn’t look like the kind of toy phones you’d see in stores today, all colourful and covered in different buttons and maybe it even has a face or stickers/sayings on it? no, the one i had was plain blue, and was the same style as an actual landline. hell, now that i really think about it, maybe it wasn’t even a toy at all lmao. i remember pressing random numbers on it and then holding it up to my ear and actually having a conversation with someone. it very easily could’ve been one of my family members as i wasn’t really paying much attention to them to notice, but the voice was right in my ear like it was actually coming from the other end. i’m not sure how accurate this memory even is, but i’m at least sure that the phone existed since i have memories of dragging it through the house at different times as well.

my next memory isn’t one specific memory, but rather a group of them — my kindergarten best friend. i think kindergarten was the only time i was actually happy at school tbh lmao. i even had a best friend in kindergarten, or at least someone that i feel was my best friend. i don’t really remember her name (i think it started with an m?), but i distinctly remember what she looked like. we rode on the same bus together, and were also in the same class... kind of. the way my classroom worked is we actually split the room with another kindergarten class, so my class was on the top half of the room, and her class was on the bottom. i remember always being jealous of her class because they got naptime, and i didn’t lol. i remember riding a tricycle during recess one time, falling, and asking her to go get me a bandaid. i remember being an ass and pretending to wear earplugs one time (i wasn’t, i didn’t even have any with me) on the bus on the way to school so that she’d stop talking to me. i know i was little and didn’t quite have the words to express that i was tired and wanted to ride to school in silence, but i still feel bad for being an ass. i was also a terrible liar. 🤣 i finished kindergarten and moved onto grade 1, and i remember the bus coming to pick me up on my first day and expecting her to be on the bus. she wasn’t. i still remember how disappointed i felt, and i think i was even on the verge of tears lol. i don’t know if she moved or if she was just on a different bus or if i ever ran into her again and just don’t realize, but i still think about her (and all my elementary school friends) sometimes. i was... an absolute mess in elementary, but it was fun times lol.

i had a couple other friends in kindergarten as well. i only remember one of their names, but they were both very sweet. the girl whose name i remember (it started with a k) invited me to disneyland once, and me being a literal child, i thought she was serious. i remember staying awake until 5-6am one morning because i thought she was going to call me and tell me further about our disneyland plans... even though i don’t think she ever said that she was going to call me, nor did i give her my number. ...yeah, i was stupid lmao. she gave me her number, though, but i don’t think i ever gathered enough courage to call. my other friend and i were closer, and we went to each other’s houses once or twice. the first time i went to her house, i was a little **** and dropped ice from the fridge all over her floor on purpose. either she or her sister snuck away to call my mother to tattle on me, and i was sent home. 😬 i think i was surprisingly invited back again for a second time, and i remember being much more behaved. i apologized a lot as well. she also came to my house one day after school, and i remember her driving home with us and sitting next to me in the car instead of being dropped off by her parents. we had a tea party with real snacks, and i remember it being a pretty pleasant time. i think her younger sister tagged along as well. :’)

Last edited:
Back