• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you find challenging difficulty important in games?

Is challenge good for games?

• Yes

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 24.6%

• Total voters
absolutely! i’m not into the level of difficulty that could result in ‘rage quits’ but if there’s nothing to work towards or complete, i’m not interested. even animal crossing has a bit of difficulty within it such as completing nm achievements (in new horizons’ case), catching rare critters, etc which is the type of challenge and gameplay that i like.

I rarely play games with a difficulty level choice, most of the games I play are sort of relaxing and stuff or have only one set difficulty. I think the last games I played where I got to choose difficultly were Danganronpa V3, MK8DX (150/200 cc, if that counts), and Bandori expert songs. I especially have fun with the more challenging songs in Bandori (lvl 27/28, I can't for my life finish Six Trillion Years) because the very fast beatmaps make me feel alive.

Idk if it's counted as "difficult" but I also have fun in Genshin, I'm not the best at strategizing but I'm very good at dodging and very patient with chipping away at a high-level boss' health. I haven't done much of the spiral abyss yet because I'm still building my characters (yes, no shame, I still do not have any 5 star characters), but otherwise I'm fairly decent in the open world.

Yes, I care about a challenge in games.

I’ve purposefully done Nuzlocke and other challenges in Pokemon in order to test myself, and after years of trying them even managed to beat a few as well.

I also have played Smash competitively for over a year now and have improved a TON at the game thanks to playing with a friend of mine who actually helps me improve. My level of play was stagnant from the N64 version to the Wii U version, but thanks to him, I’m a lot better than I was before.

I also only do Fire Emblem playthroughs on the hardest difficulty possible now since I’ve played since Awakening and can be considered a veteran at this point (yeah, I haven’t played the older titles, but you’re still a veteran unless you started the series with Three Houses).

Basically, if a game isn’t challenging to me then I lose interest quickly. :lemon:

Sometimes. One good example for me is Resident Evil 4. I've played through that game more times than I can remember by now so it's nice to have a higher difficulty to play on just to keep it fresh (although, RE4 is always fresh no matter what).
Another example is Super Metroid, my all-time favorite game. It doesn't have any difficulty settings which is a shame because it really is on the easier side. I really wish there was a hard mode. Instead you'll have to make up your own challenges like getting through the game without energy tanks or whatever.
So if it's a game you spend a lot of time on, having more difficulty is going to make things more interesting.

If it's a game where you don't really feel like putting in the time or effort, then it can be a bad thing. One game that was a bit of a mixed bag for me was Hollow Knight. It was obvious from early on that this wasn't gonna be a casual experience. But once I got adjusted it was pretty smooth going except for a couple of boss fights. Until I met the optional boss, Nightmare King Grimm, that is. My first few tries I didn't even realise what was happening. The fight was pretty much over as it began. Yeah, I'm getting older and my reflexes aren't what they used to be, but man, this was a brutal beating. I had to redo the fight 10+, possible even 20+ times. I finally managed to beat him but I didn't get any satisfaction from it. None. And that's when I realised that the challenge means nothing if's not any fun.

So, yeah, for me it comes down to how much I like the game. I don't mind spending the time to get good if it's a game I enjoy playing.

I always have sports games on the pro difficulty. I like sports games to be challenging. I play hockey on the second to highest difficulty. I’m not great at the defensive aspect by any means, but I still play decently against the CPU. I love the difficulty aspect in sports games.

No. I don't want the game to be too easy, but at some point the difference between normal and hard is just time spent on the game, and I'd just like to spend less time on content that's not enjoyable to me. I rather challenge myself while playing a puzzle game than playing an action game on hard and having to overthink every little step, if that makes sense. And to be honest playing the same section over and over again is just not enjoyable to me at all, it frustrates me and builds up rage.

I voted yes, but honestly I think it depends on the game. Too challenging/ chaotic isn't really my favorite, but too easy makes the game feel like a waste of money. I really appreciate when there are different difficulty modes that you can toggle, so I can adjust it based on the time I have and the time I want to spend trying to beat the game.

It all depends on the game, though personally I’m not cranking the difficulty level up much anymore. With my limited amounts of free time, I just want to get through and enjoy the stories/worlds created instead of getting hung up on an encounter. I’m not taking Super Leafs/Suits/whatever in Mario but like I’m not getting stuck on puzzle or boss ya know.

I think it's good under specific conditions. Games need to make sure it's not challenging for the sake of being challenging and have some accessibility options for it. I wanted to like Cuphead, but my biggest complaint with it was that it was too difficult and punished the player for choosing an easier option.

I think Mario 3D World has a good balance. There are checkpoints, ample lives, and many of the challenging parts aren't required. I think Champion's Road could still be improved, but since it's the very last level (and an optional level), I don't really hold a grudge.

I'll overall say 'yes', but it does depend on the game you're playing and the type of experience you're going for.

- Something like Monster Hunter (honourable mention to the Souls/Borne games here as it's a similar argument) the difficulty is absolutely important. If I wanted to just see all the monsters, I could go on google image search. The experience of Monster Hunter though is learning how to hunt all these various creatures and by doing so they become easier, either through 'knowing' that monster like a true ecological expert or through upgrading your gear bit by bit to overcome it.

It's also just the rush of fighting these vicious creatures that if the game had an easy mode, that feeling wouldn't exist. The Zinogre isn't hard "but only on hard mode", no, the Zinogre is just a beast in general. You fight that Zinogre for the first time and you'll crap yourself as it starts slamming around and thundering up because the only way to progress is by going through that monster which has just ripped you in half. If there were an easy mode, it's just a cool looking gate temporarily blocking the progress you're guaranteed to make. The set level of difficulty helps to make these creatures seem as dangerous as they're supposed to be.

- Then there's something like Animal Crossing. Of course challenge isn't expected in a game like this as it's supposed to be a laid back, relaxing and accessible game. Adding genuine challenge would remove the relaxed nature and cause frustration for players.

Or Mario. Mario games just aren't particularly difficult at an entry level. Sure, there are some difficult stars/shines/moons/whatever the specific game has that are more challenging to acquire but Mario is the most entry level and commercially popular platforming series and thus, the games aren't difficult to just get to the end of, and that's absolutely fine. Most players that don't want difficulty only want to get to the end anyway.

Or Pokemon. It's never been a particularly difficult series of games and like Mario, it shouldn't be as it's such a commercially popular series and an entry title for RPG's. Whilst I would like something a bit more challenging somewhere in the game for older or experienced players (like Mario having more difficult optional challenges), I do think that the difficulty of the game is absolutely perfect for the intended audience of children and gaming newbies. I'll still be returning with each release because whilst the challenge isn't there, it's fun just catching and evolving new Pokemon.

- Then there's the 'middle ground games'. Fire Emblem I would say is one of these and I think it is one due to the nature of appealing to two very different demographics. It has people that want a good challenging strategy RPG as well as people who are there solely for the story and relationships (and a group in the middle). Personally, I couldn't imagine not playing Fire Emblem on anything lower than classic difficulty where perma death is active because I'm there for the gameplay, not the story. I could easily get from the beginning to the end of the game if my defeated troops came back after every level, the games just aren't hard without perma death. Likewise, there are people who can't do perma death runs and don't really want to, they just want to know what happens next. I think with the game moving more and more towards developing the way relationships work, difficulty options were a good choice.

- That all said: I don't see the point in playing a game on a difficulty that's too easy for you either, the possibility of failure being almost gone entirely makes the completion of the game a guarantee rather than an achievement and at that point, there's Youtube. If I played DOOM on easy mode I may as well not play because I'm getting neither the challenge nor the experience DOOM is supposed to give you.

-

As I said first though, it depends on the game. You'll have people complaining that games such as Monster Hunter and Dark Souls are too difficult and need lower difficulty selections, likewise you'll get people saying Pokemon and Animal Crossing don't need more challenge. Ultimately I think we all just need to accept that we all have different tastes, none of them are right or wrong and that if a game doesn't bring the amount of challenge you want then, well, not every game needs to cater to everybody. Move on and find an Animal Crossing type game with a PRO MLG playstyle elsewhere.

Last edited:
Personally, it all depends on a variety of factors and what kind of game I'm looking for. There are some games I actually look for that aren't too challenging and ones that I look for a challenge in.

If I look for a game that I wish to seek a challenge from in terms if difficulty and pay a full retail price of $60, then yes, difficulty would definitely matter as I would not want a game that is beaten very quickly. When I personally buy a game I look for quality in length, detail, story and difficulty. I have had purchased a few games before that were dissapointing in terms of a challenge, however, it was my fault for not doing research on said games first haha 😅

I mean, I don't want games to be painstakingly easy because that would be insanely boring. However, games that are too hard are no fun to me either. There has to be a bit of a challenge so I have to think but if it's so hard that I have to look up guides the entire time, then I'm not interested.

I've also gotten lazy nowadays too so lol.

I think even for casual or relaxing games a level of challenge is necessary otherwise it doesn't really provide any reason to play. Take Animal Crossing for example, it isn't a "difficult" game, but there are challenges presented there, and that's what makes it rewarding.

I think for a game to be fun, either it has to provide a challenge, or you have to be able to give yourself challenges (like sandbox games, games with endless creative modes etc.)

That said, if we're talking about whether or not games are fun if they are really really challenging, I personally find difficult games to be fun - as long as it's skill based and not based entirely on cryptic gameplay (like min/maxing or pixel hunting) or things completely out of the players control

I think most video games need to hit a sweet spot with difficulty. They shouldn’t be easy to the point of mindlessness, but they also shouldn’t be inaccessible either. Of course there are exceptions to this. Competitive videos games like fighters should be difficult. Having challenging A.I. is essential for people to practice before facing real players. On the other side of the spectrum are life sims. In most cases this type of game should be easy to get into. Otherwise you could be isolating players who want to play these games to relax.

I think in game design, difficulty is important and a fundamental part of gameplay because it makes us think and provide further strategies and preparations for the upcoming challenge. What’s your opinion on hard difficulty and challenge in video games design?
And they said gaming didn’t give you life skills

Yess, I want my games to at least have the option of difficulty settings. If it's too easy and I breeze through it, I feel like I'm watching something instead of playing it. idk if that makes sense. I want it to be engaging.

No.

I play my games to relax. It's as simple as that.

If I want to stress out, I would chat with people over the Internet.

I agree with the other people who have mentioned games having a difficulty setting option. That's the best way for games to handle it IMO, so that way you're able to choose how easy/hard a game is for yourself. When it comes to games that don't allow you to change the difficulty, though, difficulty doesn't matter that much to me compared to the actual gameplay, story, etc. Like some games are designed around being difficult and are executed well (like Dark Souls), but if it isn't executed well or it's too difficult then I wouldn't really want to play it as it's likely to be more frustrating than enjoyable, whereas I'd be more forgiving to a game that might be too easy, since at least I'd still find a way to enjoy it.

yeah, really depends on the game. sometimes i want to play hard games and other times i want to play easy games. though i will say that if a game is insanely hard just for the sake of it and has no easy mode or anything like that, chances are i won't be playing it too much.

Back