• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

discussion: who is "unknown sender?" (+ some zipper t. bunny speculation)

vib

bell pinching mayor
Bells
Switch
0304-7838-2116
hello! i saw that there was a thread like this a long time ago but it's closed and i'm curious about what people think, and i want to get some of what i think out there so i can get some feedback. :)

as we all know, when you start animal crossing: new leaf, you answer questions from rover and then get dropped off at a town where everyone thinks you're the mayor. after a day or two (i'm not 100% sure when exactly), you get a letter in the mail from "unknown sender" saying that they were originally supposed to be mayor, but now it's up to you, signed by "keep it a secret!" we are never told who the unknown sender is throughout the game, nor do we hear from them again.

here are my thoughts:

- tortimer: we know for sure it can't be tortimer, although that's what many people initially believe. tortimer was the old mayor who retired, therefore a new mayor was needed, which was supposed to be someone else but ended up being us (the player).

- (most) special characters: we also know it can't be one of the special characters who are in town when you first arrive or any that they already know (such as digby or k.k. slider), because isabelle and the villagers wouldn't get you mixed up with characters that they know.

- rover: i don't think it's rover, since his main personality trait throughout the whole animal crossing series has been that he loves traveling, so it wouldn't make much sense for him to agree to be the mayor of a town. plus, he doesn't know anything about the town the player is headed, unless he's lying, which i don't think is true. his purpose in the series has been to set the player up, and i believe that's pretty much all he's intended to do. however, many people think that the mayor was supposed to be rover, but he saw that you were going to the town he was about to commit his life to and decided to back out, knowing no one in town knows what he looks like. another problem with this is that, if this theory is true, it's very very unlikely that isabelle didn't ask for his name. in addition, nothing was set up for him to move there, which doesn't make much sense, knowing that the new mayor would need a home and whatnot. this brings me to the next theory.

- isabelle: the isabelle theory is, in my opinion, one of the most plausible explanations. tortimer wanted to retire and he knew that isabelle was a responsible secretary, so maybe he wanted her to be the next mayor. she is shown to be pretty shy and timid, even self-conscious, so maybe she felt like she wasn't right and/or ready for the job. no one in the town was told that it was supposed to be her, making it easier for her to make it seem like it was someone else. she could probably find out if and when someone was supposed to arrive to the town and decided to take a chance on whoever came out of the train. as i said above, there was no home for the new mayor, so maybe she couldn't set that part up in time, so she acted as if it was an accident and had the player do it, making it much easier on her. now she can still have mayoral duties to fulfill but not have the full stress and pressure of being the mayor.

- zipper t. bunny: this one is something i thought of not too long ago. it's honestly not a very logical theory and i haven't heard anyone say this but it might possibly be worth noting. it's safe to assume zipper is some animal/human in a bunny costume, as it is heavily implied throughout the series, especially with the giant zipper on their back. i say "their" because we don't know who's really under the costume, not gender, not even species. if the person who was originally supposed to be mayor was zipper, we would need to know who zipper really is too. there is an interesting thread about it on the bell tree forums here. (we'll assume that the person in the zipper costume isn't a special character like phyllis or tortimer for the purpose of this theory.) zipper makes it clear from the comments under their breath that they don't like their job. they've had to dress up as zipper t. bunny for years (assuming that it has been the same person in each game). maybe they were trying to escape their job by becoming mayor and finally be themself instead of just someone in a costume. however, like the letter said, "one thing led to another..." so they have to keep on living the same life with the job they hate. but again, the same problem with the rover theory -- the name. unless the person in the zipper suit just so happens to have the same name as the player, this makes even less sense than it did initially. plus, the letter from the "unknown sender" isn't mean or sassy in any way, unlike the way zipper talks. if zipper was the one who sent the letter, they probably wouldn't have been so nice that such an opportunity was taken away from them.

all in all, we'll most likely never know the real identity of the "unknown sender," or even zipper t. bunny (although that's more likely). and honestly, i think it's more fun that way. speculating and researching and trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together is a lot of fun. i really would like to know some day, but if nintendo never decides to give us that satisfaction, then that's okay too. please tell me what you guys think!! i tried to be as in-depth as i could, but i'm horrible at explaining things, and i also just miss stuff a lot of the time, especially when it has so much to it. also if you have a different person in mind, please let me know! it's so interesting to see what other people saw what you didn't. :)

I still believe it’s Rover, as even though he enjoys travelling throughout the series, he might just be the closest one to being mayor out of everyone else. The other NPC’s already have their jobs throughout the series, so it’s unlikely it would be them. What I find suspicious is that Kapp’n only comes to your town after a few days, but that letter did not seem like his type of writing, so it’s very doubtful it’s him, especiallly since he has quite an important job, and without him there would be no travelling to an island. Isabelle wasn’t introduced to the series until New Leaf, so I doubt a new secretary would be mayor. Rover already knows all the towns in every single game, has said he went there on a “vacation”. It seems like he knows quite a bit about your town from the start. He’s always on the train but don’t you ever wonder where he’s going? For all we know he could of been waiting for someone to board to take his place as mayor. He sends you a letter the next day, of course it doesn’t specify who it’s from, as it’s titled “Unknown Sender”. Why would it be named that if one of the other NPC’s were to be chosen as mayor and had given their place up? Everyone in the town knows each other. Surely Pelly, Phyllis, or Pete would know as they handle the letters. And yet no one in your town, including the other NPC’s, know who Rover even is, so it’s titled “Unknown Sender”. The only people who do know Rover would be Tom Nook (as Rover stated in ACGC that Tom was an old friend of his), and probably Porter as Rover is always on the train. They probably weren’t told of him becoming mayor, and when your character arrives in town, they probably assume that you’re the mayor, because that’s what everyone told them. Maybe the only one who would know is Porter, but I doubt Rover would even tell him about it. No one else in the game is really fit to be mayor as like I stated above, have important jobs, and if they were going to be mayor then who would handle their jobs? You meet everyone on the first day, and later get a letter. No one currently in your town or on Main Street would have sent the letter if they had just found out about your arrival and you had just made their acquaintance. It’s all too unlikely. Rover knew you were going there from the start, and seeing as though he’s been in all AC games (along with other NPC’s, but like I said, they already have a job to fulfill), he would have been the best choice for mayor. And of course, if no one else other than Tom Nook and Porter knew him, how would he get chosen as mayor? I’m assuming at this point Tortimer also knew him, but as we can tell in all the previous games, Tortimer was always sleeping in his mayor chair and we never really had a chance to talk with him. Plus, if Rover has apparently been to our towns, just as he has stated, he probably met Tortimer as he was the previous mayor. So they would also know each other. Tortimer retired, and saw that Rover was a good fit, so decided to make him mayor expecting him to take it, and left for the island. That’s why we only see him after a couple days. He came to meet us because he was probably surprised that Rover wasn’t mayor, but still greeted us and treated us like we were. So overall, Rover was most likely the one who was chosen to be mayor out of everyone else, and I still believe it was supposed to be him.

- - - Post Merge - - -

For who Zipper T. Bunny is, I believe it’s Phyllis. There’s no reason to believe it’s Isabelle because she was only introduced to the game in New Leaf, and Zipper T. Bunny was in previous games. Zipper T. Bunny is in your town from 6am to 6am the following day. Phyllis works from 7pm-7am. I checked, and made it 7pm, Pelly was there instead of Phyllis, and Zipper was still in town. Why is Pelly there if it’s not her shift? She’s covering for Phyllis thinking no one will notice. Where would Phyllis be? She’s Zipper T. Bunny, or at least, she plays as him. We all know that Zipper has sort of a rude attitude, like he doesn’t want to be here, adding in his snarky comments while singing the song. Then, when we try to talk behind him so he turns his back, there’s a zipper. Of course, everyone can see that zipper, but a lot of people think it’s Isabelle because the town hall is closed. But the town hall is closed for many holidays, even when Isabelle isn’t outside. Plus, that doesn’t explain why Phyllis wasn’t in the office throughout 7pm-7am, her shift, and Zipper was still in town. Not to mention his demeaning manner, unlike Isabelle’s. He acts and talks just like Phyllis, moody and bothered by everyone. But I basically got proof that Phyllis is posing as Zipper T. Bunny by what I stated above. You guys can even go ahead and check, make it April 21, 7pm, check the post office, Pelly is there instead of Phyllis.

Last edited:
I haven't really put much thought what Zipper T. Bunny was until the part you said that it's someone under that mask. From a person whose never played other Animal Crossing games in the series, did they also show that they didn't like their job? If it was the case, then it could be a long time that Zipper wanted to become mayor once Tortimer retired but us players just ruined his chance to strike.

Very interesting theories!! I have always thought it was Isabelle who was supposed to be mayor, but the River theory sounds good too.

As for the Zipper theory, have you checked to see if Phyllis misses her shift when Zippers RV is in town? That would be another way to prove that theory.

ETA: Zipper was actually in my town a couple days ago so I time traveled back (I live in October 2018 lol) and this is what I found! I definitely believe that theory now.

13E7D02F-46F4-451F-BB74-98F651C8703F.jpg
543E788A-991F-4B69-9015-A65CBE902527.jpg

Great thinking Kirbyz!!

Last edited:
This is a very interesting discussion, but just an FYI...Pelly's shift does not end at 7pm in New Leaf. I regularly play from 7-9pm and I've only seen Pelly. I'm not sure when Phyllis starts her shift, but it must be at least 10pm or later.

i read on the wiki and it says that phyllis can be seen in the town hall while zipper is out on bunny day in city folk, plus i watched a couple videos on zipper theories and phyillis will be in the post office on bunny day in new leaf, therefore i don't think it could be her. (i think her shift starts at like 10 pm, i play later at night like ladydestani does and i only see phyllis when i'm about to go to bed at like 12 am but forgot to send a letter.)

Last edited:
Yeah. I still believe Isabelle wanted to be the Mayor.

The only reason I think Rover isn't the mayor is because he loves his job already, to be a train station town greeter. He loves it so much, he definitely doesn't wanna let it go.

The most plausible reason I think Isabelle was the original mayor was because she's Nintendo's Animal Crossing mascot for crying out loud. How could they NOT make her the original mayor? I'm calling it in New Horizons that Isabelle says she was the original mayor in a certain town she was in.

As for Zipper, he's just some new character that hasn't been revealed under the costume yet. (Most likely never will...) But a dark secret could be an imprisoned, breathing spirit that is tortured to dance and rhyme every time Bunny Day (Or any day) rolls around. And is unable to leave the suit for good. Just think if someone opens the suit, the person that opened it will get captured inside, with no escape.

But of course, Animal Crossing is E for Everyone, so let's just say Zipper is someone normal who HATES his job.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Of course, when he tells us to not take his Zipper down to the ground, I think he's saying that to prevent him from getting fired, as it's possibly the only job he can afford.

Also. Remember the RV message? On how it said that It is 100% NOT A COSTUME!? Yeah. Total lies there.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize Phyllis’ shift was later than 7pm, when Zipper is in my town next I’ll check again but it’s hard to time travel much since I have to maintain my dirt paths lol.

I’ve got another theory... what if ZIPPER was supposed to be the original Mayor, but Tortimer and Isabelle decided he was no longer a good fit at the last minute. So he had to take a job as a fake bunny to pay the bills. Haha

ooh, i've never even thought about tortimer/isabelle changing their minds about whoever was supposed to be mayor, that's interesting

Out of the possibilities, zipper. T bunny looks like the most guilty of the crime of being Mr ?unknown?

I know someone else said Rover but I’m also considering that it’s Rover because I saw on another forum and on the AC wiki have both said that his name is “Mishiranu Neko” in the Japanese version and when translated to English it means “Unknown Cat.” I think that it is highly likely just because of his Japanese name and when the letter is sent to your mailbox he puts “unknown sender” instead of “Unknown cat” because if he put cat then that would give off too much detail about who he is. I also think this because of the dialogue on the train, Rover says something on the lines of “I’ve been riding the rails a lot lately again.” Assuming he likes to travel, he was chosen to become mayor but decided not to because he wanted to continue traveling and that town wasn’t the place for him.

I also want to add on to Zipper and Isabelle. There are many speculations that Zipper T Bunny is Phyllis. I believe this theory to be true and I don’t believe that Phyllis was supposed to be mayor because she’s been working in the postal service ever since ACGC and Phyllis each time she does her job she seems to not like doing it. I don’t think Tortimer would hire someone so irritated to do their job be mayor (unless Tortimer was really that lazy and didn’t want to hire someone new.)

Isabelle, I think it’s a possibility and I think Isabelle is possibly hiding something. I think she decided to not be mayor because she was unprepared and decided to put you in a bad spot and just give the job to you.

Last edited:
The Isabelle theory makes a lot of sense bc when you get off the train and try to tell her you aren’t the mayor she acts anxious and convinces you you’re the mayor. It makes decent sense

Probably the former MC of ACWW, which would explain why they confuse you, another human, to be the mayor. That's what I thought when I first read the letter.

It could be Isabella, too.That would also make sense, except it'd be irresponsible for her to just hand that title out to a random person coming out of a train, whom she knows nothing of.

I can't see her doing that, so my head cannon is another human used to be there like prequel mc and he/she didn't want the pressures of being mayor.

Back