• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Any theories on who the actual mayor was

Giddy

An interesting fellow
Bells
Switch
1311-3752-4435
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Basically in the title.
You get a letter from an unknown person, letting you know they were suppose to be mayor.

Did you have any theories or funny beliefs on who the mayor actually was? I swear one theory says it was Rover. Or like, if Tortimer had a son and was suppose to take over, but wasn't fond of making it a family role.

It would've been cool if you had a choice to investigate the mystery, meet them and thank them for the chance of being Mayor.

Or it could've been Stinky for all we know XD

I think it was most likely Isabelle. She's the only one I can think of that's totally qualified, but she probably is too shy and doesn't want to be in the spotlight. She also mentions that she hadn't unpacked her boxes from moving in yet, so maybe she's new to the town too.

On the other hand, I could also see Tom Nook being the rightful mayor as he could have attempted to buy the town, and then everyone panicked trying to find someone to take over before he could- explaining why Rover decided to take the train for the first time in so many years and how all the villagers seem to be in on it with Isabelle.

Oh.. yeah, for whatever reason I always thought it was Rover or Tortimer..
It makes more sense if it's Isabelle though ..

Overtime I had no idea who it was. Rover doesn't make sense as he already has a job, as the town greeter.

With Isabelle, you can clearly tell it was meant to be her. When you, the player nods to the fact you're not the mayor and shaving off some mistakes, she starts to resist and lies about being the original mayor, where you keep trying to make out the fact that something's wrong but she ignores you and tries to do things her way to make you the mayor.

Later on, she goes ahead and mails you a letter, slightly apologizing on what she did to make you become mayor without actually sounding like she forced you to become one. To add the icing on the cake she also wrote the letter as anonymous to avoid a (How you say) villain arc towards the player and Isabelle.

That's how I think it went. The town wanted Isabelle to be the mayor, but couldn't handle all that extra work than to what a secretary could, so she secretly backed out.

I do belive it was Rover. the original mayor sent a letter to the player character, and Rover asked for the town name that the player was going to. although this is not concrete proof in the slightest, but it is what i personally belive.

Nintendo was never good with its lore and always said how it focused on the game itself and the story was always an afterthought. That's why Zelda's timeline never really matches up perfectly and has holes. I'm sure Animal Crossing lore is the same. We can decide it was Rover, Isabelle, the villager's mom, but they left it unanswered because it wasn't really a priority to them. In the end its whoever you want it to be or it was just some random no-name that was never present in the series.

Nintendo was never good with its lore and always said how it focused on the game itself and the story was always an afterthought. That's why Zelda's timeline never really matches up perfectly and has holes. I'm sure Animal Crossing lore is the same. We can decide it was Rover, Isabelle, the villager's mom, but they left it unanswered because it wasn't really a priority to them. In the end its whoever you want it to be or it was just some random no-name that was never present in the series.
I definitely find it interesting how they could've just had us the player plan to be the mayor. Instead they had this funny, crazy idea. Imagine you just move to a town, and everything thinks and believes you to be the new mayor. I know this is just a game, but it be fun to think about.

I like to think Isabelle, definitely knew we were coming to move there, and thought we would be a good fit as mayor.

I have no idea! When I played for the first time, I wasn't very imaginative and just took it as a plot device. I think Isabelle being the intended mayor is a fun idea, and would make a lot of sense... but, considering the whole premise of importing a mayor is nonsensical, I don't think they really gave it much thought :p

i’m leaning more towards that the original mayor was supposed to be isabelle because tortimer passed down his role to her as soon as he retired. perhaps isabelle was notified in advance that a new person was moving to town and took advantage of that. when you first arrive she’s all worried and kind of pushy.

the rover theory makes sense too but he gives me the vibe that he doesn’t like to be stationary/be in one place for too long (head canon LMAO) so it’d be odd for him to be mayor. also think i read a separate theory that he’s tom nook’s goon. bro basically scouts out people on the train to put them into debt with nook, which is something that makes more sense with GC more bc he calls him on the phone but it’s still a fun theory tho it doesn’t apply to NL.

I thought Rover was the most popular guess. Some day or week later, you get a letter in the mail from the real to-be mayor. I don't think the personality of that letter fits Isabelle's.

Back