did you plan out your island prior to getting the game? 🏝️💭

did you make any plans for your island prior to you getting the game?

• yes

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • no

Votes: 35 61.4%

• Total voters

Xara

the april fool
Bells
Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Purple Flower Glow Wand
Mermaid Scale Halloweaster Egg
Skull Glow Wand
Galaxolotl Star Fragment
Blue Star Fragment
Enchanted Butterfly Glow Wand
Opalescent Crystal
Snowflake Glow Wand
Purple Star Fragment
trying to plan out my island and come up with ideas for it is how i kept myself sane while waiting for new horizons to be released, and i’m curious if anyone else did the same!

i couldn’t 100% plan out my island since we didn’t know every item, customization option, terraforming and landscaping option etc that would be in the game, but i decided on what i wanted my island name to be, what i wanted my native fruit to be, a general idea of what i wanted my map layout to look like (specifically where i wanted resident services and the airport to be, since i knew i couldn’t change their locations later), came up with some potential themes and area ideas, and created my dreamies list.

my plans of course changed once i actually had my island, but my island name, desired native fruit, and my dreamies list (for the most part lol) stayed the same :)

I didn't plan my first island, but I did plan my second island. 😊💖 It didn't go completely to plan, but I was pretty happy with the terraforming. I think I enjoyed the experience more from not planning. 💜

Nope, I didn't plan out my island at all. I just looked at the 4 options I was presented, picked the one I liked the most, and went from there.

Nope, just went in blind! I usually like to make do with what I get, I think it's more fun that way than trying to plan every single thing to be perfect... I think that's definitely more stressful if you don't happen to roll what you want.

The only pre-planning I did was deciding on some of the villagers I wanted to be residents on my island, if I remember correctly. It's a habit I developed in New Leaf; after my first town, I got additional copies where I could make new towns with different themes and with different residents who fit the town's theme.

I'm generally not good at naming things, so I didn't have a name for my player character (I don't play games as myself) or my island. I think maybe I assumed I'd just do a horror theme again like my main New Leaf town, but it was never a solid thing. My island's name, Poveglia, is probably a holdover from that because Poveglia is an actual island in the Venetian Lagoon of Italy that is supposedly haunted. At some point I came up with the theme my island has to this day; a coming together of people (and animal people) from different countries and cultures and throughout history all in one place. I think I decided I wanted apples as my island fruit because 1) it's the only fruit I hadn't had as a town from in any of my New Leaf towns up to that point and 2) I didn't know that perfect fruit wasn't going to be included.

I didn’t really have any plans before starting NH but decided I’d be a bit strict on starter villagers - at least one had to be one I liked which led to my restarting a few times. I hadn’t looked at any maps or the differences with the airports and didn’t know what I wanted my island to look like so just took those as they came. In the end I did end up with apples as my starting fruit which was nice as they’ve always been my first fruit in each game.

When I first got this game back in 2020 the day that it came out (March 20th) I had no idea what to even expect. All I remember was I was greeted by Timmy and Tommy then picking a map layout for the island. I had no idea what I was even doing. The idea was that I wanted to make an island based around Kingdom Hearts but the original idea I had was that I wanted to name it "Kingdom" but that didn't work so I choose the name "Traverse" instead. The name is a reference to the world of "Traverse Town" from Kingdom Hearts 1. I always liked that area and the music so thats why I decided to go with it.

I didn't have many friends going into this island. It was just me. I was just doing a lot of stuff because truth be told I was new to Animal Crossing and know nothing about what it had to offer. So I was just making helping out Tom Nook making this strange desert island (honestly I knew that he would fool me) but I had to pay a lot of bells. At the time I did not know how to earn them. I went around catching fish and bugs the first time after learning how to craft a Fishing Rod then a Net. I give them to Timmy to sell and I was able to make bells. After a while blathers came (thank god because the fishes and bugs were pilling up), Nook's shop was opened, Able Sisters was built, I had 10 villagers who were Antonio, Rocket, Patty, Skye, Charlise, Dobie, Anabelle, Eugene, Shari, and Nate. Then KK slider showed up and I was given the app to make my island the way I wanted so thats when I started to make it.

Of course I was struggling to make idea of what I want my island to be. I was just going around making cliffs and rivers because I had no idea what else to think of. My island was in a complete mess I had trees cluttered everywhere, homes were scattered, and so many areas were empty. I was losing my mind because I had no idea how to make a good island. I go and see other people's islands and I did take inspiration from them. Eventually I made my island better thanks to them but then around May 2020 is when I started to feel unhappy with my island. So I decided to start over and go back to square one. Eventually I made it how I picture in my head that stood out. As the months went by I began tearing down my island and remaking from the way I see it. By October 2020 it was fully completed.

When I got my 2nd switch I started deleting Traverse for good I decided to start over fresh again. I got my other island Twilight to transfer all of my items and back to this island so that way I would start. This project was started back in May 22nd, 2021 after I deleted Traverse. I called this island "Destiny" named after Destiny Islands from Kingdom Hearts 1. I decided that I didn't want to make a replica of that island from that game, I just wanted to make an island that fits my personality and is something that I created from my imagination.

I wasn't able to pick up the game until June (a few months after release) and obviously Animal Crossing was EVERYWHERE at the time so I was being bombarded with so much inspo from every corner of the internet. As a result I definitely made some plans for my island before I ever got there.

The two biggest ideas that stuck and are still features of my island to this day are:
1) I knew for sure I wanted red brick path and red brick bridges for the "main area" of my island. I was experimenting with red brick custom designs in NL but could never find something I was happy with so I knew I wanted this for sure.
2) The idea of having all my villager houses on individual "islands" surrounded by river was also something that I decided on as soon as I saw the capabilities of water terraforming. I didn't have a specific plan for how this was going to look but I knew everyone was gonna get their own "island" on my island.

oh absolutely tried to before i unlocked terraforming but once i actually started working on my island, things started to change so i just gave up planning and just stuck with finding inspiration instead

I had a general idea of what I wanted for my island, but when I actually got the game and chose my island I didn't end up following my plan at all. Instead, I kind of just let my island develop organically.

I planned the name of my island and was looking up extensively what were the max characters I could use by looking at the JP and English accounts. As for choosing maps and fruit, I don't care. I find the whole obsession of having the airport and resident services being centered is odd. Like the fact it has become THE advice, is bizarre, lol.

I know I definitely wanted pirate themed and then before I terraformed or create paths, I would sketch out the design in Photoshop or another program or place markers in game to make sure it would work out. I did a lot of research for my island, it's just how my brain works before I build something.

I was so excited for nh release, I spent hours planning out ideas for my island, except I was going in with minimal spoilers so I didn't fully know how much I could decorate outside. I made a journal page planning ideas out, including drawing up a unique alphabet because I was initially planning an ancient ruins island before realising that there were no items that fitted that in the game vfnd.
But after starting and naming my island, I traced it on my computer and drew this map:

map 3 cekrai.png
I didn't end up sticking to pretty much any of my initial ideas, but it was fun to plan!

Didn't plan a thing, just wing it all the way like a pro! 😂

I didn't plan anything. I just played the game when I got it and designed months after lol

no, i don't think i planned anything before i chose my island. i had a look at a couple of island map designers online i think after i started terraforming but nothing really happened cliffs/rivers plan-wise. i just gave up with it tbh

No, I usually accept whatever the game gives me at the very start, then, I usually plan out later what I want for the island

I did plan my island before I got the game I had all these pages in my notebook of name ideas, islanders I wanted, fruit, airport colours and so on hahaha

Back