did you plan out your island prior to getting the game? 🏝️💭

did you make any plans for your island prior to you getting the game?

• yes

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • no

Votes: 35 61.4%

• Total voters
Nah, I just made it up as I went along. I don't think I got serious about my island layout until after 2.0 dropped, and by that point, I had to do a lot of rearranging since I already had ideas by that point that were rendered obsolete by many of the new items.

When the game came out, I didn't plan anything, imagine anything because I didn't really know what the game was going to look like. I didn't know what the possibilities were, the furniture, I didn't know anything about the beginning, the few images we had suggested much more (then I was disappointed haha) so no, at the beginning, nothing at all! But now that the game is complete, that I've been spoiled the different pieces of furniture, that I've taken inspiration from other islands, I'm planning more and I have dreams.

Nope. I tried doing the island designer before decorating but I restricted myself too much and scrapped that idea completely.

Yes! So,.. in New Leaf I had always set my towns in a particular season, and perpetually time traveled back and forth to keep them in that season, however with NH, I wanted to just play... and let my island flow with the seasons.. and incorporate its aesthetics with all four seasons, and not just one, as I have previously done with ALL my New Leaf towns.

As far as dreamies go, Kiki and Pecan were a given, as they are a must in every town I create, regardless of the theme! I also chose some villagers I never had before, who also went along with the witchy/magical/spooky theme I had in mind, which are Lucky, Coco, Ankha, just to name a few.

So, before getting the game, I just wanted to basically copy all my previous New Leaf towns, however after playing for a little bit, I realized I wanted to actually set my island apart from my towns! I did follow the witchy/magical/spooky theme I initially wanted, however I incorporated sea witch and selkie themes as apart of my island as well! I figured, since we're in the ocean, might as well have some ocean related lore and aesthetics included!

Last edited:
Nope, I only planned my island name before playing the game. While I did reset a few times to get a good selection out of the four options I was given at the start of the game, I wasn't too picky about how it turned out, especially since I could always rearrange things with terraforming and water scaping. I was only concerned about picking an island with a Residential Services building that wasn't too close to the airport.

Yes, I made a mood board with screenshots of the trailers. it was a lot of fun and I actually stuck to it, worked out great.

No real plans other than knowing I didn't want a double south facing river. I think I plot reset a total of 10 times before I settled on an island with a residence services close to the airport - villagers and other factors wasn't really on my mind at that point. After that, I planned my island based on natural game play. Eg. I attempted to do some kind of survival island at first because I was obsessed with the spikey fence and the godzilla statue, lol. After I started acquiring more items, I moved on to a more city-like theme.

For villagers, I still have most of my original villagers from early game. Rather than inviting villagers that fit a certain aesthetic or theme, I tried to design the town around whatever villagers I already had. Eg. I forced myself to create more natural zones due to Erik's original cabin house, and then made a small japanese-style village based on Hamphrey's and Ken's darker traditional houses. Once I was able to customize their exteriors, I kept Hamphrey and Ken together (because of the past *lore* lol) but I turned their area into a fishing village. To me, this style of playing/building/developing was more natural and less stressful for me, especially for someone who used to be an avid time traveler in ACNL but calmed down when ACNH came out.

all i knew when i started is that i wanted peaches, and that was it. after a few islands i knew more about what i wanted - peaches, a resident services near the airport, an orange airport, etc. took a lot of resetting but i’m glad i did.

the only villager i was sure that i wanted was chief. everyone else was up to random chance, haha. nowadays i have an actual list of dreamies.

Back