• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Dedennes Gallery☆Feel free to critique [large images!!]

oie_121201R1MLLUTk.jpg
for nelly, on cs

9bGId2b.png

a drawing of chapsticks ADORABLE guinea pigs

- - - Post Merge - - -

WHY IS IT NOT APPEARING TRANSPARENT HELP

It is transparent. The background of the forum is just the same color than the cup on your drawing!
Cute drawing btw ^-^

20180610_093809.jpg
a request from an irl friend- this took forever i swear

- - - Post Merge - - -

...and its sideways

I literally went through all of the pages and it’s so interesting to see how you’ve progressed!

A few notes/general thoughts (forgive me, I’m an art teacher, so…bear with me):

* Love that you’re experimenting with different mediums and methods. Always worth it as an artist, because sometimes you just have to keep playing around with a medium until you “get it”. I had to sit down over the course of a summer just to understand how to do watercolor, and now I love it.

* You seem to really like drawing human figures, I envy you that. I am not amazing at humans.

* I like that you’re working hard on posing figures, and trying to figure out how bodies move and work. And you’re experimenting with shadows and shading too! Woop!

* I saw you’re using Fire Alpaca. Do you have any other methods of doing digital art? Just curious. :O

* Just FYI, eraser pencils exist, if you ever need like, to erase really small details in your graphite stuff. You can get eraser pencils from Hobby Lobby for less than 8 bucks. They save my life more often than not.

A few things you may just want to try experimenting with (just suggestions, may be fun to try):

- Sketch out your characters in graphite (pencil), then use watercolor (I suggest PRANG if you want a good but cheap brand) to go over it, then go over your graphite lines with pen. It may give you a soft and yet illustrative look that may add to the cuteness. :)

- When using colored pencil, you can blend two colors into each other in different ways. There’s blending pencils and solvents if you’re a bit unsure of your skills. You can also cross hatch or hatch colors into each other to help blend, layer colors over each other, or if you just want to smooth out one color, you can go over it with a white colored pencil to smooth it out and help blend. Blending helps smooth the color, ease transitions between colors, and can remove some of the pesky pencil “marks” that appear. :) [You may already know this, but perhaps you may not. ;D]

- You may want to keep experimenting with drawing animals, and other subjects that are not humans. I think it not only gives you a break from your normal style, and forces you to experiment and challenge yourself, but you gain confidence as an artist when you go outside your “comfort zone”, so to speak.

- Don’t be afraid to try new styles! I love your most recent picture because you went for more realism than your previous work. Don’t get me wrong, cartoon/anime style is great, but being able to switch up your style and be versatile can really help you! Not only can it help you not get bored or art blocked, but it can help you develop skill further. :)

Overall, lots of improvement, and I’m insanely proud you’re able to draw as well as you can now. When I was that young, I did not draw remotely that well, so you’re ahead of where I was at that age.

Keep it up!

SUNNY thank you so much, this was really useful <3
For digital art i mainly use firealpaca and medibang cos im a poor soul lol, but im hoping to get and iPad soon so i can use procreate.
YES i actually recently got those and theyre super usefullol i always found myself not being able to rub out small details.
thank you again!!

SWEET. If you do end up getting an Ipad lemme know and I'll find a way to share some of my favorite procreate brushes with ya. :p

OK so i made this at school ages ago and was never bothered to upload it lol
20180630_115125.jpg

- - - Post Merge - - -

its also sideways cos thats how life is now

Attachments

• 20180630_115125.jpg
    20180630_115125.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 97
oie_212371DV83vN7g.jpg
this looked much better in my mind tbh

- - - Post Merge - - -

oie_212371DV83vN7g.jpg
this looked much better in my mind tbh

oie_4134031l2KMvtBv.jpg
honestly these are fun to do and quite easy so might start selling icons idk probably no one is interested.

also ive drawn a lot more than what is in this thread i just cba

you've been improving well since i lasted checked here!! :D
if u need any advice feel free to ask uwu

Last edited:
Hi! As thatonemayor mentioned, I've noticed you draw a lot of people! A tip I have for faces and like face shapes, is that faces tend to be kind of bean shaped (?). I'm not sure if you're going for "realistic" or "somewhat realistic" haha, but it could give some more dimension to your faces, as opposed to being kind of flat c:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Here’s the bean shape I was talking about :B
D39EEB61-CDC3-439B-843F-81442CBCEE35.jpg
Here’s the whole (unfinished) pic, but the first one I think is easier to see the shape :33
D9726FCD-EBD3-4DE1-B9DC-F1B1B0270091.jpg

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oops the second one is sideways <.>

you've been improving well since i lasted checked here!! :D
if u need any advice feel free to ask uwu
thank you, i try! how do you do your shading/highlights? it always looks so perfect!
Hi! As thatonemayor mentioned, I've noticed you draw a lot of people! A tip I have for faces and like face shapes, is that faces tend to be kind of bean shaped (?). I'm not sure if you're going for "realistic" or "somewhat realistic" haha, but it could give some more dimension to your faces, as opposed to being kind of flat c:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Here’s the bean shape I was talking about :B
View attachment 219196
Here’s the whole (unfinished) pic, but the first one I think is easier to see the shape :33
View attachment 219197

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oops the second one is sideways <.>
im trying to go for realism but its more semi realism? lol idk but i will try to keep that in mind :)

Back