• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Data Corruption Precautions

420blazeityoloswag4jesus

i dont blaze ok
Bells
Winter Mittens
Cake
May Birthstone (Emerald)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
I have the physical copy of Animal Crossing New Leaf.. Just wanted to know what precautions to take so as to make sure I dont corrupt my data.

I would really hate it if my data became corrupt, so im being extra careful..

What are the causes of data corruption, and what are some ways to prevent it?

Since you have a physical copy, the only real way to cause corruption is if your DS turns off if the game is saving/preparing your town. I suggest not turning off the DS at all if the little circle is spinning in the bottom right hand corner.

Same thing with removing the card. Don't remove it from the DS while the game is saving.

This probably doesn't solve anything, but after saving the game, wait until the Animal Crossing logo comes up, hit the home button, then close the software from the home screen (this is how I turn off the game when I'm done playing, but I'm super paranoid of data corruption so I do all I can to prevent it).

Sadly, there's no 100% way to prevent data corruption. Sometimes, you could be doing everything right, yet while saving the game, something just may go wrong. It's a super small chance (less than 1%) but it happens sometimes, and sadly there's no way to avoid it.

Since you have a physical copy, the only real way to cause corruption is if your DS turns off if the game is saving/preparing your town. I suggest not turning off the DS at all if the little circle is spinning in the bottom right hand corner.

Same thing with removing the card. Don't remove it from the DS while the game is saving.

This probably doesn't solve anything, but after saving the game, wait until the Animal Crossing logo comes up, hit the home button, then close the software from the home screen (this is how I turn off the game when I'm done playing, but I'm super paranoid of data corruption so I do all I can to prevent it).

Sadly, there's no 100% way to prevent data corruption. Sometimes, you could be doing everything right, yet while saving the game, something just may go wrong. It's a super small chance (less than 1%) but it happens sometimes, and sadly there's no way to avoid it.
I'll keep this in mind, thank you so much!!

Is there anything else? Im super paranoid right now omg

Just don't turn off the game or take the cartridge out while saving. That's really all there is to it. As long as you do that it's very highly unlikely that your data will corrupt, unless there's something wrong with the 3DS or cartridge that would cause it to mess up while saving. In my 17+ years of gaming I have had one game corrupt on me, and that was because I didn't know that turning it off while saving would cause the data to corrupt. It's not a common occurrence at all as long as you're not careless.

The only game I have ever corrupted was My Sims Kingdom because if you drop your DS with a My Sims game in it it'll corrupt. It's pretty funny.

Last edited:
I'd also suggest not leaving your DS (with the game) in a place like the inside of a car during a hot day. Just in case.

I had a Gameboy Advance SP with a game in it and it wouldn't save anymore (data was also lost). It was an old system, but you know, still something to think about.

Back