Bells
Switch
8146-2445-4030
White Cosmos
Orange (Fruit)
Yellow Cosmos
Red Candy
Pear (Fruit)
I have a 2ds and a 2ds xl. I bought the 2ds recently to try out homebrew and other things, and didn't want to risk losing my animal crossing town (which is digital on my 2ds xl). My 2ds xl is currently on its last leg. One of the shoulder buttons is broken, which isn't very fun because I can no longer take screenshots, and the hinge is cracked which is slightly nerve-racking. Should I transfer my 2ds xl data to my 2ds, or buy a new 2ds xl? The pros of buying a new one are that I really like the screen size, and I wouldn't have to get homebrew on my 2ds again which took quite some time (since transferring one system's data to another would wipe everything). Another pro would be that it is a more convenient shape, it fits into my bag much nicer (for those very rare street passes.)

The cons are that I'd have two systems which isn't the most fun since some of my games are digital, and some of them are physical. Another con is that I'm a clutz, and I can see myself dropping my new system again and perhaps breaking the hinge once again while the 2ds is more sturdy -- especially without the hinge!

What would you do?

Last edited:
To be honest, I'd buy another 2DS XL and once you've transferred the data from the previous XL, sell it for parts on ebay to recoup some of the cost. Or if you're brave of heart, attempt to fix it after you've transferred the data.

Last edited:
Tbh the 3ds is on its last leg as a whole and games will stop coming out soon

I would just save your money if you're not rich. I would tough it out and use your normal 2ds

To be honest, I'd buy another 2DS XL and once you've transferred the data from the previous XL, sell it for parts on ebay to recoup some of the cost. Or if you're brave of heart, attempt to fix it after you've transferred the data.

Thank you for the advice! I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this, but it's weird. Since you spend so much time with it it feels like selling a car or a house!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Tbh the 3ds is on its last leg as a whole and games will stop coming out soon

I would just save your money if you're not rich. I would tough it out and use your normal 2ds

Thank you for the advice! Yeah, I pretty much just play zelda games and animal crossing on it anymore and I'm sure once new horizons comes out it will be put on the side. I might try playing on the 2DS for a while and see how it goes! Thanks!

Maybe replace the dying one.

They're getting pretty cheap now as they're becoming irrelevant so you could probably even upgrade to a 'new' 2DS for relatively not much money (depending on what you're willing/able to spend), essentially finishing the 3DS generation off with the definitive version of one of the consoles (though aside from like 2 games exclusive to it, it's mostly just faster load times and a built in NFC reader).

If money is an issue though, it depends on how much you value the portable emulator. With you having digital content too, you will run the risk of *whatever they do to hacked consoles*. Weigh up the pro's and cons there. If you're not too bothered about the portability or the emulator strictly being on your 2DS, you can get emulators pretty easily on a lot of devices now. Anything that a 3DS can emulate can be done on pretty much any smartphone or computer these days if that's a viable alternative for you.

Back