• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Child Privacy Online Act Issues - 3DS

meo

Bells
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
I have a friend that I gifted a 3DS to (adult not underage). He's never played AC so I figured I'd help him get a feel for the game before New Horizon so he can decide whether to spend the money or not.

He set it up normally and went to try to play animal crossing with me. It gave him an error for trying to open his gates that the parental controls had to be adjusted because the privacy act.So obviously, gets to parental controls and the privacy act one is the only one enabled. He tried to disable and gets the message that he has to provide email and signature etc and in 24-48 hrs a code will be sent to allow him to disable it.

48hrs pass...no email.

He contacts customer service by phone; spends 3 hrs on the phone with them doing several factory resets, parental control resets, some master key deal entered into the forgotten pin password menu (even though he knows his pin), etc. So, basically they do all but provide the pin that is supposed to be emailed and entered in the menu for disabling the child act.

So, long story short 3 hrs later...customer service says they are stumped, they take his info and say they'll get back to him (no time frame given). They say they have no idea about some email process and the pin that gets entered directly into clicking the child act control.

Has anyone gone through this and what was the result? Because all the stories I can find people either get their email or the customer service call support gives them the proper key to enter.

This is, a very weird situation. I once forgot my pin for my older system. Somehow without contacting Nintendo I was able to reset all my parental controls back to default. I them logged in creating a new pin and set up a new email.

I think you *might* be able to reset the pin, which will default all the controls back from the screen to enter the pin. When I looked it up I came across some weird stuff about how Nintendo will charge 25 cents to a credit card to provide a master key to prove you are an adult blah blah blah weird stuff.

I would try to act like the pin was forgotten, reset it from that screen then start over again. If I can figure out how I did it then I'll post my process.

They tried the pin reset route and it didn't change anything.

Ultimately, he had to go through the email and signature thing again to request the code email and he got the email on the second request which worked.
It was just weird that nintendo's customer service had no clue about it. I guess they said the switch luckily won't have these issues with the privacy act so that's a relief if true.

Back