• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Character Studies

RicochetRomance

Four Years Late
Bells
Arcade Tokens
Jingle Christmas Doll
Tasty Cake
Silver Mailbox
Wanted to take a minute to discuss my characters.

They've both got strong personalities and motivations, though not entirely of my own creation. Cybrtron is a Transformers fan town, so my human residents are based directly on Optimus and Megatron.

Optimus is the level-headed leader type (hence why he's mayor), and still recruiting Autobots (old habits). In the TF universe, his rank would be Prime - the cultural and spiritual leader of Cybertron. Hence he has a lot of positive interactions with villagers. I've done a bit of a callback to his origins as a scholar/librarian as well - I've divided up museum donation duties between my two characters, and Optimus donates only fossils and artwork.

Megatron is the dangerous type, still recruiting Decepticons behind Optimus's back. In a post-war TF AU, his rank would be Lord High Protector - the military leader of Cybertron. He interacts less (and less positively) with villagers. He's also responsible for infrastructure, so I'll be using his character to set up my paths. To represent his combative nature and gladiatorial origins, Megatron donates only fish/diving creatures and insects to the museum.

... I may have gone a bit overboard on the details, but what can I say? There's so much potential for ACNL and TF to cross over!

I like how you were able to convert their storylines and roles into animal crossing. I had problems doing that for my mayor character in that he wouldn't want that position outright but would rather control things behind the scenes :c I just figure he rolled with it as then he could put cameras everywhere with impunity.

Impressive! I love making/adapting characters, so this is really cool! :0 My mayor is just me lol. But that's cool too haha

Tbh I've never met someone who was a fan of Transformers so this is a new and interesting thing for me to read! :)

Polymathema;bt14632 said:
I like how you were able to convert their storylines and roles into animal crossing. I had problems doing that for my mayor character in that he wouldn't want that position outright but would rather control things behind the scenes :c I just figure he rolled with it as then he could put cameras everywhere with impunity.

Sounds like a very interesting character. Would love to hear details if you're willing to share!

Imnotcrazyhopefully;bt14634 said:
Impressive! I love making/adapting characters, so this is really cool! :0 My mayor is just me lol. But that's cool too haha

Thanks! It's definitely cool for your mayor to just be you - only reason I'm doing this crazy complicated thing is because I'm a hardcore fan. What can I say? Giant robots are awesome.

xSuperMario64x;bt14635 said:
Tbh I've never met someone who was a fan of Transformers so this is a new and interesting thing for me to read! :)

Glad it's interesting! Transformers is a fandom I grew up with, so please note that by this point my perceptions of the characters may not be totally accurate.

Last edited:
I wrote about them in this thread ahaha

But as for the reply you have for supermario64, man I feel that. I end up "adopting" characters and then my interpretation of them ends up vastly being skewed from the canon material and I have ceased to care about that.

Polymathema;bt14649 said:
I wrote about them in this thread ahaha

But as for the reply you have for supermario64, man I feel that. I end up "adopting" characters and then my interpretation of them ends up vastly being skewed from the canon material and I have ceased to care about that.

Fascinating read! You've definitely got a strong narrative, and I never even considered the idea of a character's house being a impromptu facility.

Skewed is putting it mildly. Pretty sure if the creators of TF ever read my interpretations of dorky Optimus and perpetually grumpy Megatron, they'd have some VERY strong words for me.

RicochetRomance;bt14652 said:
Fascinating read! You've definitely got a strong narrative, and I never even considered the idea of a character's house being a impromptu facility.

Skewed is putting it mildly. Pretty sure if the creators of TF ever read my interpretations of dorky Optimus and perpetually grumpy Megatron, they'd have some VERY strong words for me.
I really dig people who turn their alt character houses into shops and such but a lot of my inspiration came from happy home designer and the themed setups they do, having to build a flower shop or cafe for a villager made me want to do the same thing in new leaf

Also man idk, in my experience most creators recognize fandom works for what they are, an enjoyment and celebration of the core material. If they don't let the work be interpreted under new lenses they're pretty closed minded, like come on guys? If we're not making money off it, they don't have the right to say any words at all, that's what transformative works ARE. Celebrate individuality and unique interpretations, they come from the world-view and cultural lense of each fan-creator and that's great.

Polymathema;bt14661 said:
Also man idk, in my experience most creators recognize fandom works for what they are, an enjoyment and celebration of the core material. If they don't let the work be interpreted under new lenses they're pretty closed minded, like come on guys? If we're not making money off it, they don't have the right to say any words at all, that's what transformative works ARE. Celebrate individuality and unique interpretations, they come from the world-view and cultural lense of each fan-creator and that's great.

I'm not heavily involved in fandom - I mainly keep my creations and enthusiasm to myself - because at my age, it's more than a little embarrassing.

The only real stories I'd ever heard of creators interacting with fan-made work had been less than pleasant. I will definitely take a look at the issue from a more balanced perspective - it's great to know that there are creators out there who value and encourage transformative works.

IMO there's no such thing as a WRONG way to interpret a character - there wouldn't be nearly as much variety and depth in fan work if everyone took the characters at face value!

Back