• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Celebrating Diversity 2022: Villager Design Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
20220625_232253.png

💖 Villager Name: Marble
✨️ Villager Species: Otter
💖 Villager Personality: Peppy
✨️Villager Catchphrase: "Glow-y"
💖 KK Song: Steep Hill
✨️ Villager Favorite Color: Light Blue
💖 How this Villager represents me: Don't let the soft exterior fool you! Marble is a chatterbox and even has a bit of sass to her! Marble represents me with my two favorite colors, a love of glow-y things, and she has my eyebrows! I have one eyebrow that lost all of its pigmentation due to trauma. Marble loves to play dress up and loves the finer things in life, but she also likes to get back to her roots in nature. She is always willing to lend a hand to those in need. 💖

sW7R8C8.png

✨💧🌟💧✨

⭐ Villager Name: Droplet
✨Villager Species: Frog
⭐ Villager Personality: Normal
✨Villager Catchphrase: "wishful"
⭐ Villager Birthday: June 30th
✨Villager Photo Quote/Favorite Saying: "May your dreams soar high like the stars."
⭐ Design Request: A Star-Gazer's Paradise
✨Favourite Song: K.K. Lovers
⭐ Coffee Order: Mocha, lots of milk, and three spoons of sugar. She likes it sweet, just like her!
✨Villager Bio: "Droplet" is a down-to-earth little frog. She is sweet, bubbly, easygoing and loves making friends and looking out for them. She is shy when you first meet her but will blossom like a water lily once she gets to know you. She isn't the strongest nor the loudest little frog but like a star, she keeps shining bright to overcome her problems and do her best. "Wishing you all the best, wishful!".
⭐ How this villager represents me: For the last few months, I have been coincidentally working on "frog" related content. So much so that it has become a running joke that I have some kind of fondness for frogs. Well, why not embraces that? So what is a better species to represent me than a frog.

I'm not a very outspoken person just like Droplet, but you can see me at my brightest when I am with those I love and will do my best to cheer them up and help them when in need.

Her design includes stars and the colour yellow, which I use to signify myself. She sports a little star bag similar to the one I wear in-game and wears little red boots. While she is a frog, I too hate getting my feet wet.

✨💧🐸💧✨

2022 diversity event villager design sig version.png

🌧️Villager Name: Gear
🌧️Villager Species: Frog
🌧️Villager Personality: Lazy
🌧️Villager Catchphrase: -droplet
🌧️Villager Birthday: January 31st
🌧️Favourite Song: KK Bashment

🌧️How this villager represents me:

I chose a frog as I've drawn so many in the past few years that I've started lightly researching them in my spare time, and quite like them. I also think frogs are a good representation of my quiet, difficult to notice nature as I tend to fade to the background, however I can be quite loud and obnoxious sometimes. lol I also love the rain, and always have.

I chose to model Gear off of the adorable Crucifix frog (Notaden bennettii), native to Australia (where I'm from). I think the Crucafix frog's bumps all over its body are representative of my own skin, damaged from years of bad acne and eczema. The shirt I chose is a KK slider rendition of the album "Oh my Heart" by Mother Mother, one of my favourite bands, and is quite similar to many of the shirts I actually wear.

I also tried to subtly incorporate many elements of the mental illnesses I've struggled with over the years, with bags under the eyes, a kind of tired, nervous smile, and changing the frog pattern on the legs to resemble ripped tights. I chose the name Gear as it is simultaneously a reference to my overthinking brain, a one piece reference, and just a name I like the sound of.

crucifix frog.jpg

I found this really difficult (not just because my drawing is shocking) and wasn't going to participate.
It made me look at myself, which I don't often do.
This may say different, but I am very content with myself. It's other people who may not always be, as they enjoy having the colourful side of me around and they don't have me entertaining them when I am not on it.

(sorry about the drawing, but I hope it reflects what I wanted it too)

cham.jpg

Villager Name: Marmite
Villager Species: Chameleon
Villager Personality: Cranky/Peppy
Villager Catchphrase: I don't care, yes I do

How this villager represents me:
Her family on her Island mean everything to Marmite and her colourful side is always dominant around them.
She seldom lets people outside her Island in, giving this I don't care what you think persona.
Marmite is generally happy, fun and colourful around outside Villagers, but often the camoflague comes over and she goes to the dark place. She is quite content in the dark place as it protects her and she doesn't really care when she's there, but it isn't good for the morale of other Villagers, so Marmite tries to stay on the colourful side.

Zale (20220626013150).png

Villager Name: Zale
Villager Species: Starfish
Villager Personality: Lazy
Villager Catchphrase: "Blub blub"

Just like me, Zale is asexual. Starfish are able to reproduce asexually and while it carries a different meaning for humans, Zale just isn't interested in a partner much like myself. As a Starfish Zale is naturally introverted and doesn't like big groups. And while the dark shades may seem intimidating, they represent how starfish can be sensitive to sunlight just like me. I have many chronic illnesses and immune system problems which affect my eyes. Even though Zale has a hard time making friends, they are a fun person who loves promoting awareness for LBTQ rights and invisible illnesses.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 11.59.04 PM.png

Villager Name: Sansan
Villager Species: Duck
Villager Personality: Normal
Villager Catchphrase: "that's ok"

Despite having a peppy, cheerful appearance Sansan actually takes more on a normal villager personality as she often sentimental on the inside and feels self-depreciative. She gets along with a lot of people, and deep inside loves to make new friends, but somehow her shyness and lack of confidence often makes her being the outsider of in her social circles. She pretends to not care but secretly wishes to blend in more with other people. Her catchphrase is "that's ok" because she often says so to comfort herself in difficult situations and believe it or not, it really helps her to come to terms with a lot of adversities. Sansan wears glasses year round and because of that she's often mislabeled as being "nerdy" but in fact she just hates contacts.

I identifies as a duck villager because, well, I really felt like an ugly duckling when I was little, and I so wished that one day I will become the swan that I'm "destined" to be. Years later, while I did not grew up to be a swan, I've come to accept myself as who I am as a "duck" and have learned (and admitted, still learning) to love myself just the way I am.

IMG_1119.png

Villager Name: Byte
Villager Species: Squirrel
Villager Catchphrase: "ya'lright?"
Favorite Song: Chillwave

I remember reading somewhere where the "normal" personality type might have been mistranslated as "sweet", and I feel like that's what the "normal" personalities really are. I get told a lot by my friends and family that I'm an absolute sweetheart and I do my best for them all of the time. I feel that the gold star on the shirt represents an effort put out, much like I do to maintain and please those around me. The screen "mask" represents that I am often masking, since I am autistic. It felt like a cute design touch as well. :3

wasn't sure i was going to make it in before the deadline so we are just going to ignore the little errors thanks to me not having a pencil to hand to draw with lol
IMG_7469.jpg

Villager Name: melody
Villager Species: turtle
Villager Personality: lazy
Villager Catchphrase: in a bit!
How this villager represents me: i am very much an introvert and find life to just be a lot easier to stay within what i know in my comfort zone, much like a turtle hiding away in its shell. however, i've found over the last year or so i've been pushing myself more and more to try new things and (mostly) enjoying it! turns out turtles can see a lot more of the world when they poke their head out from their little home :] once you know her, though, melody is bubbly and chatty and (almost) always up to hang out, whether it's for a cozy night in or a fun time out!

I didn't even realised there was a cool villager event going on, and I missed it DX
But I do adore everyone's villagers, they would be amazing island buddies.
You still got a few more hours before the deadline at 11:59 PM EST tonight! There's a little bit of time left for you to enter if you're still planning to do it.

PXL_20220627_003010061.jpg

Villager Name: Mints
Villager Species: Cat
Villager Catchphrase: "Mochi"

Nicknamed as Minou IRL (a.k.a little cat in french), I'm a pretty ordinary person who likes to live a normal life, relaxing on the couch after a busy day. Although I like to spend time on my own and at my pace it doesn't mean I don't like to connect with people.
So I'm often considered a friendly person by my peers because I approach strangers with ease. But in truth I'm not really a social person and value the friendship with my close friends.
Lastly I like the pink colour and will chat with you happily about anything japan related. ⛩️🌸😄

bobzombievillager.png

Villager Name: Jim
Villager Species: Wolf
Villager Personality: Cranky
Villager Catchphrase: "Don't interrupt 'Jim' time!"

How this villager represents me: So lately I've been doing more coding and technical writing and inevitably my playlist turns more towards the harder edge of rock. As someone that used to listen to a lot of metal and industrial, it can help me feel like I'm writing faster.

In the picture above, my Villager Jim is usually very cranky... but when he hears a properly shredded guitar, his world lights on fire (metaphorically of course).

Unbenanntes-Projekt.png

Villager Name: Fluffy
Villager Species: dog
Villager Catchphrase: think so?

How this villager represents me: I'd say that I'm a lot like a dog and my friends can probably confirm that. Shiba Inu dogs often have an added layer of... Not exactly pride, but a type of (goofy) elegance. The goofy elegance, a funny show, that's me I'd say. Dogs are loyal, friendly, caring, silly and they stand up for themselves and don't let themselves be treated badly (especially Shiba Inu). The villager type that is translated as "normal" is quite fitting. Fluffy is fluffy and he loves to cuddle. Fluffy wears a crown, not because he thinks that he is above others, but because he thinks that it's funny and he knows his worth. If a friend of Fluffy's is feeling down, Fluffy takes his crown off and puts it on the friend's head. "Denkst du?" ("You think so?" in German) is literally something like my catchphrase between my boyfriend and me.

sharkvillager.png

Villager Name: Nori
Villager Species: Shark
Villager Personality: Jock
Villager Catchphrase: flotsam

How this villager represents me: Nori is an introverted shark that likes being in her own company. She likes hanging out with other people but needs some alone time to recharge her social battery. She likes being active but she prefers working out alone instead of fitness classes and sports where she only has to compete with herself to be better rather than a team.

gqU9yhh.png

Villager Name: BOTle
Villager Species: Sea Turtle
Villager Personality: Cranky
Villager Catchphrase: "What's that sound?"

How this villager represents me: BOTle is a rusty sea turtle robot who is super slow, his system shuts down quite frequently, his language is basic and makes the communication difficult. He's easily startled, super sensitive to sounds and light, and any new information not in his program can make him overheating. He prefers staying in his shell and only goes out when it's quiet and nobody is around. He may look weird but he's not mean. He likes sea and rain.

3684D8CE-F999-4BEF-8894-E8FEA580A6AD.jpeg

Villager Name: Shizuka
Villager Species: Mouse
Villager Catchphrase: shhh-ure

How this villager represents me: Shizuka means "quiet" or "calm" in Japanese. I think in a world of extroverts, it is sometimes hard to fit in if you're not chatty. But hopefully despite being of few words, you can come to love Shizuka as much as she loves you, because although she may not express it out loud all the time, she has a big heart! Sometimes Shizuka likes to sleep in, but she loves food... well, mostly she loves eating... and sharing her food with others! You can always count on her to bring an extra tray of cupcakes to a party. You just have also accept the fact that she will be a wallflower and want to hide behind her big ears. But if you approach her slowly and cautiously, over time she will be your biggest supporter!

Fun fact: Shizuka's designer studies ears for a living!

Villager Name: Sera
Villager Species: Cat
Villager Catchphrase: Kek

How this villager represents me: About five years ago, I adopted a long-haired grey tabby, which I named Sera. When they say a person's pet somehow ends up matching their personality exactly, probably because we are attracted to what is similar to us, this holds very true for me and Sera. She is literally my cat soulmate, aka me as a cat. She is an introverted and anxious little thing, we understand each other's needs for affection but also space to do our own thing. Our lives are better for having each other and I wanted my villager to be a nod to her (she's basically Lolly but longhaired, and we need more long-haired cat representation in AC).

Sera.jpg

0008B31F-B7F7-4887-BA61-45F170D4DB71.jpeg

Villager Name: Chimère
Villager Species: Chimera (mix of turtle, beaver, snowy owl, lion, phoenix, and squirrel)
Villager Catchphrase: “Always remember your roots!”

For this event, I wanted to recognize all of my geographical ties and to express issues, which I deeply care about. As such, my villager design’s central theme is based on ethnicity/race. Chimère (i.e., chimera in French) represents me through the inclusion of different species. They each symbolize a geographic location (other than the squirrel).
  • For her facial skin, I’ve drawn the pattern seen on a turtle shell. The turtle represents Turtle Island, what some Indigenous communities refer to as North America (Robinson, 2018). The skin, a crucial organ for the functioning of our body, is a reminder that I live on unceded Indigenous lands.
  • The feathers covering parts of her cheeks, legs, and arm are those of the snowy owl, which symbolizes the province I originate from: Quebec.
  • Rather than having a squirrel tail, my villager has a lion tail. The lion represents Canada’s ties to England (from the Coat of Arms of Canada). At the tip of her tail, I’ve drawn a beaver tail. The beaver is meant to represent Canada.
  • The phoenix wing represents my Vietnamese origins.
  • The squirrel constitutes a central part of her face and body because squirrels are one of my favourite species in the ACNH game! The different plants/leaf (lotus flower, pine leaf, maple leaf, and iris flower) also represent one of the locations I’ve enumerated above.
The turtle shell skin disappearing into the bird feathers symbolizes Canada’s unsuccessful attempt to eradicate Indigenous peoples’ cultures; they could not be fully covered up. In incorporating the turtle in my drawing, my intention is to pay respect to Indigenous cultures, which have too often been unacknowledged.

Moreover, while I may be disadvantaged by being part of an ethnic minority group (e.g., through discrimination), migrants (and their descendants) enjoy more rights than other communities such as many Indigenous communities. I’m also more privileged for being born in Canada and having gone into higher education. All of these act simultaneously to situate me along this hierarchy of power. Indeed, how we think and act is not isolated from our race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, spirituality, etc. To quote Grosfoguel (2007, p. 213), “we always speak from a particular location in the power structures.” And so my villager design is a reminder of that (at least for me), hence the catchphrase “Always remember your roots!”

Dinosauuur.png

Villager Name: Dino
Villager Species: Dinosaur
Villager Catchphrase: Rawr

How this villager represents me: Dino is often misunderstood by others. She has difficulties talking to other people she doesn't know and tends to stay quiet even if she desperately wants to contribute. She always wears a hoodie or jacket to help her feel more relaxed. Due to her abnormally short arms they never reach beyond her clothing but she doesn't mind, she prefers it that way. Dino is easily overwhelmed and often has to take a nap after venturing outside.

Most All of the entries submitted have now been accepted! 🎈

The submission period for this event is now closed, but we are going to keep voting going for another couple of days. Please take the time to fully look through the entries and vote for your favourites if you haven't already. :)

My entry took me longer to make than I had hoped. I'm having laptop troubles and couldn't create a digital entry so I had to do a traditional one. My problem was trying to remember where I had stored my colored pencils. lol! Thankfully I found them and was able to participate. Here's my villager:
df7ypi5-99be7639-57d3-4f13-bbbe-fde0dd6784bd.jpg

(I'm sorry this is so dark. I don't know why.)
Villager Name: Tallulah
Villager Species: Great White Shark
Villager Personality: Sisterly
Villager Catchphrase: Jawsome
Villager Birthday: June 20th
Villager Photo Phrase: "Take a bite out of life."
Favorite Song: K.K. Dirge

How this villager represents me: Tallulah represents me in a few ways. I've felt like "a fish out of water" many times in my life - especially when I became disabled. I had to learn a whole new type of "normal". I had to figure out new ways to do every day things. I also had to come to grips with the fact that there were some things I'd never do again - like drive. I had to learn to walk again and accept the fact that I could only walk short distances. Just like Tallulah, I use an electric mobility chair whenever I leave my apartment. I also feel like a fish out of water on internet forums. I tend to be older than most forum members and that makes me feel like I don't really fit in. I tend to be shy on forums and not post much. I do try to help others when I can but mostly hide in the background. When I do feel comfortable with another member or group of members then I can be more chatty.

Being a Great White shark Tallulah is often misunderstood. She may seem scary but she's really nice. Sometimes people mistake her smile for a bite action which makes them misinterpret her intention. I'm often misunderstood because one of my vocal chords is paralyzed. This gives my voice a gruff tone which people misinterpret as me being angry or upset even when I'm happy. My voice is also rather deep for a female so I often get called "sir" if someone only hears my voice. That has made for some interesting conversations. lol!

Now matter what high or low tides Tallulah and I face we keep going. In life we can choose to sink or swim and Tallulah & I always keep on swimming.

More about Tallulah: Great White Sharks are my all time favorite animals so I wanted my villager to be a Great White. According to the interwebs the name Tallulah means "leaping water". I liked that idea as both Tallulah and I have had many hurdles to leap. Tallulah's birthday is the date the movie JAWS opened in theaters in 1975. Her shirt is designed to look like a pearlescent scallop shell and the fabric is "seaweed" green. Tallulah has a large scar on her caudal (tail) fin due to a run in with some humans. (She doesn't really like to talk about what happened.) She controls her electric mobility chair with her right pectoral fin. Speaking of Tallulah's chair, she has the Disability Flag and Disability Pride Flag displayed on the base. (You can learn more about both flags HERE.)

Sorry for the long explanation. I just really had fun creating Tallulah. Thank you!

Hi @Valzed! The image in your post doesn't appear to be working. If you could please send it to me via private message I can edit that in for you and then accept your entry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back