• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

Does anyone have any tips for *not* winning the Bug Off? My last for the year is still a few weeks away but I've gotten gold every time I've done it and I want to get the silver and bronze trophies now that I have all the furniture.

Does anyone have any tips for *not* winning the Bug Off? My last for the year is still a few weeks away but I've gotten gold every time I've done it and I want to get the silver and bronze trophies now that I have all the furniture.

Have at least 3 human characters and submit island bugs with all of them. The villagers can't compete and you'll surely get 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. :)

Will villagers ask for fruit you used to have trees for, but no longer? I'm considering trashing all the apple and pear trees for tropical ones but I'd like to know if I should keep one or two.

Will villagers ask for fruit you used to have trees for, but no longer? I'm considering trashing all the apple and pear trees for tropical ones but I'd like to know if I should keep one or two.
They can ask for fruits that is not in your town or/and you never had in town anytime. Their line for asking would change to something about how that fruit is not growing there but they want it though

^Thanks. That's interesting, because I don't recall getting them before I had the respective fruit and only just got signature quests this year after using the train the first time (so I figured all quests were accessibility dependent).

Last edited:
I'm confused how the tenth villager works. Does obtaining one from the campground or trade mean your villager cap is adjusted (random tenth move in from now on), or are there never random tenths?

I TTed after Deirdre moved out so I could plot, but after a week I was still back at nine.

I'm confused how the tenth villager works. Does obtaining one from the campground or trade mean your villager cap is adjusted (random tenth move in from now on), or are there never random tenths?

I TTed after Deirdre moved out so I could plot, but after a week I was still back at nine.

As far as I know, you can only get a 10th villager from the campsite, trade, or WiFi visits/streetpass. I don't think that changes even if you've had a 10th villager previously.

Don't think of it just as "tenth villager", that'd be easier. Just know whenever your town has 9 villagers game wouldn't send you new villagers. Which means you can stay with 9 villagers forever even after your current tenth leave unless you get it from someone or campsite. Unless the 9th villager moves out too, there'll be no random move in. There's no quota, or cap adjusting, just that.

Okay, I didnt see anything about this so I'll ask. If you accidentally bumped a villager out of your town and you're going through the 16 villager cycle, how do you know what number youre on? I lost track and I really really wanted Lionel but he upped and moved without a word! D: And I totally forget what number I was on for him.

Okay, I didnt see anything about this so I'll ask. If you accidentally bumped a villager out of your town and you're going through the 16 villager cycle, how do you know what number youre on? I lost track and I really really wanted Lionel but he upped and moved without a word! D: And I totally forget what number I was on for him.
Best way is checking your mainstreet often. The day he starts to show up, it means he is 10th. The time he stops to show up forever, you can be sure he is already cycled out

Can a villager plot directly in front of paths (with no space between) or will they always be 1 space back?

Can a villager plot directly in front of paths (with no space between) or will they always be 1 space back?

They can plot directly in front of paths. After the house is built, though, the tile right in front of the door will be "blocked", and if you have anything there, it'll disappear.

I've noticed that Chrissy and Eugene sometimes talk about their former towns. Chrissy occasionally sings out her former town's tune to me and Eugene occasionally refers to his former town. When he moved ot my town he even said I looked familiar... thing is I am yet to visit any towns properly. Only have dreamt about them, so maybe that's how I met Eugene originally and he remembers me?

Also, I've always assumed the villagers moving to your town throughout the game weren't coming from other players' towns, especially if you have never travelled to other towns before or have had anyone visit yours. But apparently the Chrissy and Eugene in my town have lived in other towns before.

Is this normal?

Last edited:
Back