• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

"Returning" to ACNL on January 1st to start a fresh new town for 2017, but I have one question...

Can you adopt Welcome Amiibo card villagers (Vivian, etc) from other players?

Yep! If they're moved in and in boxes, yes but not from the RV.

Except the Sanrio villagers, i think it has been confirmed that you can't make them move in from other towns.

Last edited:
Is there a way to stop getting the crazy "bedhead" hair after not being active for more than 15 days?

the only way I've heard of is if you download the welcome amiibo update. the big update bypasses a lot of the consequences of not playing for a long time (cockroaches, too! weeds. etc.)

Hi! Can anyone tell me how hard it is to relearn how to play the game if you stopped playing ACNL for two years or more? Would it be better for me to start over? I really don't want to have to do that since I had put a lot of time and effort in the game when I played, but at the same time, I'm feeling overwhelmed thinking about all of the items I have lying on the ground that I probably won't remember what I was doing with them. ><

Also, how much changed with the latest update?

Also, how much changed with the latest update?

The basic game hasn't changed, in the sense that it still feels like New Leaf. But yeah, there's a good bit of new things in the game.

- you can now hang shirts on walls
- you can sit on rocks
- you can unlock more storage
- you can stack fruit that is sitting inside of storage
- there's a MEOW coupon system. Basically the game gives you little daily objectives (catch 20 fish, build a snowman, sell stuff at Re-Tail, etc) and you get MEOW coupons for it. MEOW coupons can be used at the new campsite area (see next bullet)
- there's a new campsite area (different from the PWP) where characters can set up RVs. Some special characters will show up even without amiibos. Many RVs you can't get without amiibos though.
- there's more than 60 new villagers: 50 from the new welcome amiibo cards, 6 from the new Sanrio amiibo, and some from Zelda, Monster Hunter, and Splatoon amiibo figures. You can get the welcome amiibo villagers from someone else if they are in boxes/moving out in the other person's town (Sanrio ones are supposed to be scanned amiibo only)
- they added MANY new items to the game. The vast majority of them are non-reorderable though. :( Most of the new items are only bought from the RVs with MEOW coupons
- some of the RV items are sold by Harvey (new NPC). You pay with MEOW coupons and generally it costs slightly more than buying from an RV
- there's a few new fortune cookie items
- They added a few new mini-games that you can play with the new Wii U and 3DS items. They are Island Escape (same as the one from Wii U amiibo Festival) and Puzzle League. Both let you unlock things.
- Wisp is now in the game with a magic lamp item. He lets you summon characters to your game with amiibo. Essentially, if you have amiibo, you can force any villager to move out and replace them with the character that is on the amiibo card. If you're an amiibo collector, this is HUGE.

There's more stuff too, but those are the more major ones.

I have 2 cartridges and decided to reset one of them so I could get into things easier that way.

Last edited:
The basic game hasn't changed, in the sense that it still feels like New Leaf. But yeah, there's a good bit of new things in the game.

- you can now hang shirts on walls
- you can sit on rocks
- you can unlock more storage
- you can stack fruit that is sitting inside of storage
- there's a MEOW coupon system. Basically the game gives you little daily objectives (catch 20 fish, build a snowman, sell stuff at Re-Tail, etc) and you get MEOW coupons for it. MEOW coupons can be used at the new campsite area (see next bullet)
- there's a new campsite area (different from the PWP) where characters can set up RVs. Some special characters will show up even without amiibos. Many RVs you can't get without amiibos though.
- there's more than 60 new villagers: 50 from the new welcome amiibo cards, 6 from the new Sanrio amiibo, and some from Zelda, Monster Hunter, and Splatoon amiibo figures. You can get the welcome amiibo villagers from someone else if they are in boxes/moving out in the other person's town (Sanrio ones are supposed to be scanned amiibo only)
- they added MANY new items to the game. The vast majority of them are non-reorderable though. :( Most of the new items are only bought from the RVs with MEOW coupons
- some of the RV items are sold by Harvey (new NPC). You pay with MEOW coupons and generally it costs slightly more than buying from an RV
- there's a few new fortune cookie items
- They added a few new mini-games that you can play with the new Wii U and 3DS items. They are Island Escape (same as the one from Wii U amiibo Festival) and Puzzle League. Both let you unlock things.
- Wisp is now in the game with a magic lamp item. He lets you summon characters to your game with amiibo. Essentially, if you have amiibo, you can force any villager to move out and replace them with the character that is on the amiibo card. If you're an amiibo collector, this is HUGE.

There's more stuff too, but those are the more major ones.

I have 2 cartridges and decided to reset one of them so I could get into things easier that way.

Thanks for the reply! That sucks about most of the new items being non-reorderable; also, it's going to be pain to try to collect them all...

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to make the game less overwhelming for someone coming back to the game after not playing it for 2 years or more?

How soon after you start a town does Wisp's lamp appear?

I just resetted this past Wednesday and I got Wisp on Day 2. You may be able to get him on Day 1. I don't know.

Thanks for the reply! That sucks about most of the new items being non-reorderable; also, it's going to be pain to try to collect them all...

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to make the game less overwhelming for someone coming back to the game after not playing it for 2 years or more?

What are you worried about being overwhelming? I don't think it's really that overwhelming of an update.

The only thing that is, I suppose, is the sheer number of items (and most of those being un-orderable!) to collect. You get a tiny amount of MEOW coupons per day, even if you do all of the objectives, plus you can only order up to 3 items from RVs per day. Harvey's items he sells don't count against the 3 max, though you still have to use MEOW coupons to buy them. The tiny amount of MEOW coupons per day bothers me the most. I only tend to get ~4 MEOW coupons a day - enough to buy only 1 item. :(

The update includes some new items and features, but it doesn't completely change the game. The only thing that you'll need to watch out for is that the update won't let you change the in-game clock the first time you load the game after the update, so you'll need to change the 3DS clock back if you're worried about losing villagers or other side-effects of being gone for 2 years.

I'm having a bit of a problem, and it's starting to drive me up the wall.

So my one player has caught all 72 fish and all bugs. I TT'd to the Bug Off, Nat handed the Net over gladly. I TT'd to the Fishing Tourney, Chip doesn't even give me the option to say 'Look at my collection!' no matter how many times I talk to him. It doesn't matter what tourney it is, what time it is, I'm beginning to get quite aggravated. Anyone have a solution?

How do you own multiple towns? I see people have their primary towns and then their secondary towns but I have no idea on how they do it.

Can other people place down and remove patterns from your town?

(thank you my post if you have answered my question or VM me. ^^)

Last edited:
Can other people place down and remove patterns from your town?

(thank you my post if you have answered my question or VM me. ^^)

While they're visiting? No they can't place or remove any patterns.. only you or your characters can.
If you meant taking the qr code designs, you can share your own design when you update your dream address. Then the player can use the qr code in their town.

Hopefully it answered your question ;__;

While they're visiting? No they can't place or remove any patterns.. only you or your characters can.
If you meant taking the qr code designs, you can share your own design when you update your dream address. Then the player can use the qr code in their town.

Hopefully it answered your question ;__;

You did indeed thank you!

Hello!
My question: Even after the recent big update, we still need to complete a 16 villager cycle to get back an old villager we lost? Or is it possible to invite them via amiibo or something?

Back