• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Art tutorial / help resources and discussion

Drawdler

Profile comments open to water flowers 💐✨
Bells
Switch
4463-2469-1897
Island
Gondwana
White Pansy
White Pansy
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
I looked over the last ten pages of this forum and I couldn’t find anything like this, so forgive me if I’m missing this thread or it doesn’t fit here, but with my interest in trying to improve right now I’d love to find/see new teachers and such! Basically I wanted a thread to share tutorials found online, detailed tips, exercises, etc.

Obviously don’t directly link/show anything with nude models, as important as that is, it isn’t appropriate on this forum

Personally… the top three channels I learned the most from were:
  • Alphonso Dunn (2-part anatomy tutorial got me to understand how I could think about the logic in forms etc., invaluable lessons on lineweight, smart simplifications, covers many parts of drawing in appropriate detail)
  • FZDSchool (Rarely posts, but invaluable motivator for potential and to encourage a grind IF you can accept how difficult it is, regardless what to take away is that with hard work you CAN learn and in general has a lot of helpful videos)
  • Proko (warning: lots of focus on nude models, but video order makes tons of sense, and has some good bits on self-improvement as well as interviews to gain more perspective)

Drawabox is a pretty obvious resource- I never stuck to the whole thing but I’ve done or, unintentionally was already doing some of the exercises and it’s important understanding a lot of the stuff there.

Books:

Loomis and Bridgman books

For anatomy: I found Chris Jarmey’s “Concise Book of Muscles” and Alice Roberts’ “Human Anatomy: The Definitive Visual Guide” for the time were excellent visual reference to understand bones and visualise muscle motions. Personally I also had fun looking at them regardless because I have a lot of appreciation for human anatomy and gesture in bones and musculature, enjoying how you're learning is a process in itself and helps a lot but you can do it!!
Use non-drawing books if they have a relevant subject- trust me that it will work and you should be observing lots of non-drawing/non-art stuff

Holly Brown used to have a lot of nice videos with some advice that picked me up because it got right to the point but idk if those videos exist anymore /: Lots of channels where I only roughly remember the name or one of their vids sadly. Or obvious ones to look up or find like the Watts Atelier and David Finch
Most of the stuff I know is from YouTube and I’d love to see more from other sites. A lot of the old links I had are lost.

Also playlists and stuff etc. and I am looking to construct a new one myself
Videos covering general mentality/topics are preferred to speedpaints without commentary or whatever. But its about the mentality so if you can glean something from a video or see one that makes things click then go for it. I think sometimes we look for info and follow the firsf result and others get overlooked, I really used to know a lot more that’s kinda faded as memories and a lot of it was on other channels or just came from a moment where something clicked watching someone

It has definitely been a hot minute since an advice thread was compiled! The last one I posted in was:

But it wasn’t directed so much at resources. I will swing back here when I’m on my computer because looking from my phone is painful 😓🥲

One often overlooked resource is the local library. You don't even have to walk in to the library to load content for yourself these days; things can be delivered digitally once you set up the card (ok so you have to walk in once). I have loaded plenty of art magazines (ImagineFX, etc.) and read up on the content there.

You've already listed some great YouTube folks; I would add some of my faves: Sinix, Justin Donaldson, ATOMOON, Sometimes RossDraws, Trent Kaniuga, ...

Last edited:
Back