• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you into retro gaming and buying?

Poppies_92

Peace & Harmony
Bells
I'm kinda been out the retro community for a few months and embraced emulation. I can't justify paying high prices for games of my past no more.

Any of you still collect and buy retro games n' systems. Just a thought I had.

Not really, unless the game has a special place in my heart and I want to 'collect' as many variants as possible just for fun.

Consoles, I already have the ones I want. Although I wouldn't say no to a couple of special edition releases if I found them for the right price...

I would be if I had the space. It's something that I've always enjoyed and wanted to do. And there are ways to do it a little bit at a time, even when you aren't making a ton of money. But, space has always been the main issue for me. I simply don't have anywhere to keep a video game collection. I've mostly transitioned to digital games for Playstation and Xbox. I still buy physical for Switch, and my Switch collection is growing in stride. But, I barely have the room for that...let alone, trying to find room for a retro collection. In a perfect world, I'd love to collect for systems like Sega Genesis, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, Playstation 1 and 2, Dreamcast, etc. But...it's a pipe dream. I don't have an entire room (or rooms) to dedicate to that.

i've been in it basically my whole life since as a young kid I grew up with the N64 and NES alongside the newer consoles like PS2. I've been actively collecting stuff like that since around 2010-2011 when I got a huge lot of NES/SNES/N64 consoles and games.

I usually only pay more for a game if it's nostalgic or special to me, but most of the time I spend no more than ~$10 per game. I'm pretty good at finding decent deals but I guess since the pandemic started those prices have risen (did you know an authentic copy of Paper Mario 64 goes for $90??? and a repro goes for 40??) so I haven't been buying N64 games as much recently. luckily most NES games are still relatively cheap so I'm still buying those. I long to get the Castlevania trilogy and the complete Megaman series (1-6) on NES but I know that'll be a while 😝

I do, but I only collect the retro games I'm really interested in. :blush: I like having physical copies to play, but there are a few games that I've bought from the eShop because of the lower prices or if I don't own the original console it was released for.

I'm definitely into retro gaming. I started playing video games in the 80's with the NES. Unfortunately we haven't kept all the old stuff and rebuying everything now would cost a fortune. We still have a good chunk of games for a lot of different systems though, so there's always something nice to replay when you get in the mood. I'm currently playing through Lolo 3.

The prices of retro games these days are bonkers and it has really sucked the fun out of collecting. At this rate I don't think I will ever jump back in. Good thing is that there's a lot of ways of playing many of these games without shelling out a fortune.

I enjoy playing older games, but I wouldn't classify myself as a collector. I'm generally not out there looking to get a specific cartridge or disc to play on the original console if I can get a game cheaper from the Virtual Console or something like that where there's a cheaper alternative. I am willing to spend on certain things if they're simply not available through modern means, if I want a physical backup of something that I really love that I only had a digital copy of, or if the original version had unique differences from later re-releases that justify the expense.

I wouldn't call myself a collector since I only buy retro games that pique my interest. To be honest I don't know why some people buy shovelware just to have a "complete" collection for a console. I'd much rather spend money on something that actually looks decent. That said I have enjoyed finding PS1 and PS2 games for my PS2 Slim. Many games on those systems are still pretty affordable and fun to play. I would suggest using a site like Pricecharting to find average prices for retro games. You'd be surprised how many people charge above a game's actual value.

I wouldn't call myself a collector since I only buy retro games that pique my interest. To be honest I don't know why some people buy shovelware just to have a "complete" collection for a console. I'd much rather spend money on something that actually looks decent. That said I have enjoyed finding PS1 and PS2 games for my PS2 Slim. Many games on those systems are still pretty affordable and fun to play. I would suggest using a site like Pricecharting to find average prices for retro games. You'd be surprised how many people charge above a game's actual value.

I agree on the complete collection part, think the YouTube/Instagram people kinda influences people into that style of collecting. I just recently seen a game called carmageddon 64 selling for 300+ bucks.... at a store near me, someone brought it because next month it wasn't there lol

I'm kinda been out the retro community for a few months and embraced emulation. I can't justify paying high prices for games of my past no more.

I most certainly do and have been collecting since 1992, so I have all basic editions of most consoles, some special edition items. Thousands of pokemon and magic the gathering cards, including base sets. WoW collectors figurines and boxsets. Some small scale comics, manga, anime, two arcade machines, a ps5! and a bunch of other randoms. I play them all occasionally and all are in perfect working condition. Will I ever sell? nah, i'm passing them down. :D

I most certainly do and have been collecting since 1992, so I have all basic editions of most consoles, some special edition items. Thousands of pokemon and magic the gathering cards, including base sets. WoW collectors figurines and boxsets. Some small scale comics, manga, anime, two arcade machines, a ps5! and a bunch of other randoms. I play them all occasionally and all are in perfect working condition. Will I ever sell? nah, i'm passing them down. :D

Man, I wish I could tell my younger self to not sell my childhood lol. I had everything but would sell to gamestop to get the next thing like the GameCube to Wii etc... lol I had lots of the original Pokémon Cards even a compete set of the original base set, but sold it at a yardsell my mom had in the early 2000s.... haha >,>

Man, I wish I could tell my younger self to not sell my childhood lol. I had everything but would sell to gamestop to get the next thing like the GameCube to Wii etc... lol I had lots of the original Pokémon Cards even a compete set of the original base set, but sold it at a yardsell my mom had in the early 2000s.... haha >,>

My mum sold my 1st edition complete Skyridge set at a carboot :)))) took me years to forgive her, now it's just a running family joke. Worth 10k today. Painful one, haha!

I don't go seeking per se but I do have a few.. my most prized is my base set of pokemon cards with extra charizard, and my gold zelda ocarina of time for N64.

I wouldn't call myself a collector though, umm... I have a large video game collection anyways. I do actually play my games though, or at least have the intent to play them. I don't plan to ever keep games sealed or buy games just to complete something. My video game collection is not really THAT retro because unfortunately I was an idiot and sold off some things a long time ago, so the farthest back I have is PS1 and GBA currently. But I do have the NES Classic, SNES Classic, and Sega Genesis Mini. I also emulate games from time to time.

I love retro video games. It's not just nostalgia. There's a lot of genuinely great stuff there that I still enjoy or even newly discover from time to time.

I can't personally afford to collect retro, however, I am friends with someone who does (my only friend who actually really enjoys games lol). He owns an N64, SNES, Gameboy Advance SP (silver), a ps2 (if it can really be counted in this list lol) as well as a multitude of games including some that are much harder to obtain these days. I love playing with it all, it is really fascinating being able to see the history and progression of games over time and being able to enjoy some genuinely brilliant games.

I'm not into it as I'm not a collector. Retro games are pretty expensive now anyway so there's literally no point unless you want to keep it as a collector's item. I wouldn't pay insane prices for a game that I'm just going to open and play. You can download that same game online on a ROM or whatever if you want to play it.

I recently bought a Nintendo Famicom and the Disk System. 💾 I enjoy retro gaming, mostly Nintendo. I agree with Croconaw above, that you can just emulate these games, I often do that, but I like owning them too because I can physically surround myself with that nostalgia. 😊 I also occasionally hang out with people and it's a lot easier and adds a talking/wow factor when you pull out a clunky console and start blowing into cartridges. Something about huddling around a CRT television, on the floor and holding colorful controllers adds a touch of magic to gaming that emulating just doesn't do. 🌟

Oh yeah and my PCs are laptops that are a decade old. Emulating games on it are often slow or have audio tearing. 🙄

I suppose I have been "retro gaming" since before it was even called that... back in 2001 my babysitter gave my siblings and I her old Sega Genesis from 1992, and we LOVED all the "old" games we played on it, like Sonic the Hedgehog and Sylvester and Tweety!

I have loved video games my entire life, so as the years pass, I just continue to play the games I always played before, only time has now deemed them "retro"

Back