• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Are potatoes considered healthy?

Are potatoes healthy?

• Yes

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters

Drake789

~Proud Inkling~
Bells
Astral Inner Planet Floating Gold #10
Green Candy
Green Candy
Green Candy
Green Candy
Green Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Since I've been so into eating/cooking with potatoes lately, I was wondering if the majority of people consider potatoes to be healthy or not? Recently I've heard from some people I know saying they're not healthy as that they're not considered nutritional, yet they have quite a bit of potassium and vitamin C...

I'll make a poll for this so people can everyone can vote whether they think they're healthy or not B)

idk, i heard somewhere that you could live off of a diet that consisted only of potatoes
i think it just depends on how you make the potatoes

Well it is a Vegetable, so yes.

Well yes but not necessarily as not all vegetables are considered healthy... Many people avoid corn as it is considered to be very starchy (similar to potatoes) and some people avoid peas as well for the same reason. So technically not all vegetables are healthy

Well yes but not necessarily as not all vegetables are considered healthy... Many people avoid corn as it is considered to be very starchy (similar to potatoes) and some people avoid peas as well for the same reason. So technically not all vegetables are healthy
Yeah, I'm not a huge corn guy.
Peas I usually go to if they're in a can and have butter in them, dry peas suck.

Potatoes are a vegetable, but also a starch. They're good for you in moderation.

Exactly what I was going to say. There are definitely vegetables you should be eating more of (who am I to talk, though), but potatoes certainly aren't as bad for you as the other things you could be eating.

Even though I am a potato lover, to some like me, no. It's considered a nightshade food.

Nightshades are a botanical family of plants, more technically called Solanaceae. These plants all have certain characteristics in common (like the shape of the flower and how the seed is arranged within the fruit?Wikipedia has a good description). There are more than two thousand plant species in the nightshade family, the vast majority of which are inedible and many of which are highly poisonous (like deadly nightshade and jimsomweed). Tobacco is a nightshade, and is known to cause heart, lung, and circulatory problems, as well as cancer and other health problems (although, clearly some of this has to do with the other toxins in tobacco products derived from the processing.)

It encourages my skin disease HS and gives me muscle aches and pains all the time. It also gives me restless leg syndrome, I finally figured out all this time what was causing it. Tomatoes, chilis and potatoes are usually the ones I have to avoid. But the micro-nutrients in potatoes are rather good. Not to mention they're in the top of the satiety index.

Last edited:
idk, i heard somewhere that you could live off of a diet that consisted only of potatoes
i think it just depends on how you make the potatoes

If there really is a diet that you can live off of with just potatoes sign me up please, that would be amazing XD

Exactly what I was going to say. There are definitely vegetables you should be eating more of (who am I to talk, though), but potatoes certainly aren't as bad for you as the other things you could be eating.

Yeah I guess that's pretty much how I think of potatoes too. Like I know I shouldn't be eating them all the time, but I was wondering just how bad for you they are if you do enjoy cooking/eating potatoes a lot of the time

Even though I am a potato lover, to some like me, no. It's considered a nightshade food.

It encourages my skin disease HS and gives me muscle aches and pains all the time. It also gives me restless leg syndrome, I finally figured out all this time what was causing it. Tomatoes, chilis and potatoes are usually the ones I have to avoid. But the micro-nutrients in potatoes are rather good. Not to mention they're in the top of the satiety index.
Speaking of potatoes being nightshades, so are tomatoes. So there is a genetically modified plant called a TomTato that grows tomatoes on top and potatoes on bottom.

Nothing to really do with the discussion, just cool.

Speaking of potatoes being nightshades, so are tomatoes. So there is a genetically modified plant called a TomTato that grows tomatoes on top and potatoes on bottom.

Nothing to really do with the discussion, just cool.

Tom..tato? who the hell made a potato tomato hybrid? We need a fusion of all the pokemon to make super mega high arceus! not ****ing potato tomato demons..

Oh really? I never knew that about them wow, that's kinda scary that they can do that. I never thought of potatoes as harmful honestly. Sometimes I have restless legs around night time so maybe it could be that I ate too many potatoes that day? Hmm that is interesting

No way there is Dx

Yeah I can't imagine how that would actually be possible as they lack certain things that you need for the rest of the parts of your body, but I mean since potatoes can be combined with so many different ingredients, it would be possible to be healthy and include potato in everything you eat I guess. Living solely off just potatoes though sounds impossible, but also a good life at the same time lol

Not particularly. They're mostly a starchy filler. I don't make them a regular part of my diet & I definitely will never eat fried potatoes - when you fry potatoes they release a chemical compound called acrylamide which is carcinogenic.

Actually, we can live pretty nutrient deficient. Your quality of life isn't as good, but it's pretty amazing how nutrient deficient humans can get and still survive. And the diet was potatoes and milk, which is enough to survive on actually. Just not exactly well.

It depends on how you cook them! :) Boiled potatoes are good, they can replace bread or pasta.

It depends on how you cook them! :) Boiled potatoes are good, they can replace bread or pasta.

I agree! I love just eating boiled red potatoes with a little bit of pam sprayed on them, with some salt and pepper. I'd rather eat them than eat bread or pasta to be honest!

Back