• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Anyone find the limit to Kapp'n's islands being once per day kinda odd?

I gotta be honest so far Kapp'n tours is kinda bare bones. I hate to sound negative, but the only thing I seem to go to these islands for are Gryroid fragments and it seems like you can only get one on the island. However, today on my 2nd island I went to an Island that was raining and I was able to find a Gyroid and Gyroid fragment. Other than that thats pretty much it.

Honestly I agree. And I hate to say this! But just based off of first impressions, I'm a little less enthused about it than I was originally. I think that this is partially because of the "one per day" limit but also partially because it's really hard to get a different one each day. I've TT'ed just a little bit since I'm about to have to take a hiatus (so I wanted to get my fill of the game first, haha) and I've gotten the same island a good # of times. They advertised it as if you could go to these islands specifically with getting "fish from different seasons" or etc etc in mind for your goal yet I can't see how anyone could possibly rely on these for that considering it's really hard to even know what island you'll get, and it seems to be pretty rare to actually get those ones that would provide such a service. Of course I really like RNG / rarity stuff, it adds a spicy difficulty to the game.

I think my biggest frustration is the "only 1 gyroid fragment per island" thing. For some reason, it rained almost nonstop on my island all until the update. And once the update happened there's barely a cloud in the sky for weeks. For someone trying to hoard gyroids and gyroid fragments that's kind of frustrating.

But it's okay! I think the islands that we can visit are neat. I would be happy if there was a limit like "3 per day" or something but I get a little frustrated by the 1/per. It seems just a tiny bit too strict! If they had made it like 3 that might be a little better, because if you wanted something specific from the Kapp'n islands, you better hope you don't luck out with your one and only chance that day to get what you're looking for.

I think they are a perfectly balanced mechanic.

These new islands are basically a time traveling feature built ingame for those that don't time travel by doing external manipulation; thus, they are very valuable thanks to the different resources, critters, etc. that they offer. Of course, the value of the resources varies depending on how much you have already achieved, but they are inherently valuable thanks to being an additional source for hard to find stuff, like star fragments (for those that don't play much at night), maple leaves/cherry petals (for those that can't play a lot during a 10-day span), and of course, the new gyroids fragments.

They are also a new daily activity, something people have been complaining for months. And this also helps to avoid being too similar to the plane tours- and with that, both kind of tours keep their usefulness. You can go to Dodo tours for common materials, furniture items, critters and hunting for neighbors as much as you want, but for these, you need to pace yourself.

They are also a Nook Miles sink, because there was a need for more ways to spend the Nook Miles (and thus, incentivize people to get Nook Miles stamps and tasks)- and this also ties around the fact that both kind of tours have the same currency. People have also complained about the lack of uses for NM, so this also addresses that. Making them cost much more but removing the daily-limit wouldn't help as much, because people would burn through a resource way faster and the random aspect may find people feeling an imbalance of cost-benefit.

They encourage external TT as much as any other feature/mechanic on any other game. Desperate/impatient or simply people who like to rush everything will TT no matter what.

no, it seems odd to me, too. when i read it in the update thread, my immediate thought was ???? especially since the regular islands are unlimited. if the problem was not wanting people to "rush" or because these islands can be more valuable, making the trips cost more seems like the obvious solution to me -- especially since the islands themselves are randomized so you could get a 'bust' several times in a row. i'm not a time traveller, but this detail does admittedly have me tempted.
But by making them cost more, it would make it even harder for people who either are (re)starting their game, or just have very few miles, after spending lots of them in NMItems and Tickets.

I personally find it ok. It's made in a way for us to not rush things but also, to spend our time with other things as well. And, with all the new ways to spend our miles, it kinda feels like a way for them to "protect players from themselves", preventing them from spending all their miles in hundreds of boat trips in a short period of time and ending up with no miles to enjoy the new items added in the update.

Honestly I agree. And I hate to say this! But just based off of first impressions, I'm a little less enthused about it than I was originally. I think that this is partially because of the "one per day" limit but also partially because it's really hard to get a different one each day. I've TT'ed just a little bit since I'm about to have to take a hiatus (so I wanted to get my fill of the game first, haha) and I've gotten the same island a good # of times. They advertised it as if you could go to these islands specifically with getting "fish from different seasons" or etc etc in mind for your goal yet I can't see how anyone could possibly rely on these for that considering it's really hard to even know what island you'll get, and it seems to be pretty rare to actually get those ones that would provide such a service. Of course I really like RNG / rarity stuff, it adds a spicy difficulty to the game.

I think my biggest frustration is the "only 1 gyroid fragment per island" thing. For some reason, it rained almost nonstop on my island all until the update. And once the update happened there's barely a cloud in the sky for weeks. For someone trying to hoard gyroids and gyroid fragments that's kind of frustrating.

But it's okay! I think the islands that we can visit are neat. I would be happy if there was a limit like "3 per day" or something but I get a little frustrated by the 1/per. It seems just a tiny bit too strict! If they had made it like 3 that might be a little better, because if you wanted something specific from the Kapp'n islands, you better hope you don't luck out with your one and only chance that day to get what you're looking for.
Maybe it just seems that way, or maybe we are just in the early stages of the 2.0 update and at some point later on it will start to change.

Maybe it just seems that way, or maybe we are just in the early stages of the 2.0 update and at some point later on it will start to change.

Yes, maybe so! That is a good thing to keep in mind I think! There is still a lot to be discovered.

I do! I the past 3 days I've gotten the same island with Holly bushes which sucks cuz I wana check out the others

It doesn't bother me since I enjoy having more things to look forward to each day. I do wish there was a guarantee that you will find something interesting each time though. It doesn't have to be something amazing every time, just slightly different from your own island.

Like many others I also wish there was foreign fruit to find, maybe some new flower types, or things like that.

same.... am i the only one who thinks kapp'n mystery islands actually very underwhelming?

Nope, you are not alone; I will underline very underwhelming.

12/4
I have visited one of Kapp'n's islands almost every day since the update and there are quite a few that I thoroughly enjoy. I guess it just took awhile before I got some of the more interesting ones. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Honestly, I prefer it being limited to once per day. It makes it easier to incorporate into my daily routine, it encourages me to keep using Kapp'n for longer than if we had unlimited trips per day, and this way I don't feel pressured to keep going to multiple Kapp'n islands each day to try and find new things (which, uh, was a problem at the beginning of NH for me with the NMT islands).

I go for the gyroids, but so far have been having very little luck finding anything else. No crops, no vines, no star fragments, no moss, no new bushes... but it's okay. The gyroids and diys are fine. I'll see better islands eventually. I suppose unlimited trips would have us blow through the content in a week (or day)... but the problem with one trip, is that it will often take us to an island we don't want or need to visit.

I think these islands are a lot better for new players. So far I've seen different kinds of flowers, and the time/season changes are good for those looking to catch a greater variety of bugs/fish/sea creatures for their museum in one play session.

if you visit someone's island, you get 1,000 miles once a day. That's how i would maintain my miles for days where I'm too busy to play but it also helps that I have my husband's switch that I can quickly visit.

I dont find it odd at all. The island has almost no new content on it. Most of the content on that island is stuff that was already in the game, only their making it easier to obtain. Things like gold, star fragments, all seasonal fish and bugs, etc.

Really the only new things that are worth going to the island for are Gyroids, crops, and the new DIY's and weeds. Really what else is their that new on those islands?

They should have added all the fruit trees that the game is missing. They should have added more crops like fruit crops, Strawberries, Blueberries, Watermelon, Raspberries, etc. So many things they could have done.

On Harv's Island they should have given Leif the ability to sell Fertilizer for growing perfect fruits again. They abandoned so many great things about this series.

But by making them cost more, it would make it even harder for people who either are (re)starting their game, or just have very few miles, after spending lots of them in NMItems and Tickets.

I personally find it ok. It's made in a way for us to not rush things but also, to spend our time with other things as well. And, with all the new ways to spend our miles, it kinda feels like a way for them to "protect players from themselves", preventing them from spending all their miles in hundreds of boat trips in a short period of time and ending up with no miles to enjoy the new items added in the update.

in my opinion, they feel more ""post-game"" anyway. also, isn't that sort of the point? having them cost more means you have to work harder go get the ""better"" stuff in the same way expanding your house or storage costs a lot more each time. granted, bells are arguably easier to come by, but even so. that's just my take on it though. i'm not saying people have to agree. i just think once per day means kapp'n is a little redundant since the experience is over in a minute or two regardless of where you land. NMTs cost 2k a pop, so these islands should be worth at least that or double.

While on one hand I don't mind it too much, as it makes the one island a day and two Kapp'n songs per day really special, I do find it odd. I mean, I wasn't expecting 1 per day of all things. Maybe 2 or 3? I also didn't speak to Blathers on the first day and didn't think I was going to be so unlucky with new crops that I'd need to invite Leif to Harv's so early. But, since I otherwise don't do much, it's not to big of an issue for me. I can see it being a pain for others though.

It seems fine for me, it’s not the best thing in the game but it certainly isn’t the worst. I‘m a time traveller and I didn’t count how many times I’ve been to Kapp’n islands, but I could wager it was less than 10. Out of the 10 or so islands, I’ve gotten one shooting star island and one “vine” island (it had really white cliffs and bright sand). I think the shooting star island is the most interesting, as asides from the heavy meteor shower, there are 2 rocks that drop star fragments and one message in a bottle with a Celeste DIY (I got the Crescent Moon Chair DIY). The “vine” island on the other hand had pretty plumeria shrubs, so I took a few back to my island.

tbh the only thing I find odd about it is how there are still 'dud' islands, even with this limit being imposed

specifically, 'dud' meaning the only unique thing about it would be the buried gyroid frag

Paying with miles makes it a little different from other NPC transactions. I know if someone has just started playing, or recently restarted, you probably don't have a lot of miles banked, but people who have been playing for a year or more have plenty. I've been wondering what to do with mine, to be honest.

As for being once a day, I have no problem with that. I've been 3 times now. The first 2, they were regular islands (although the 2nd changed from day to night, and was raining), but this morning I got vines, glowing moss, and plumeria shrubs.

It feels like some people online (Twitter, mostly) are complaining that they can't get items fast enough, then when they rush through, complain that there isn't enough content. It doesn't work both ways, and I'm happy to take my time.

I think it's a good idea that it's once per day. It gives you a chance to grab all the items on the island once. It is an inconvenience, but it doesn't help the fact that people are definitely going to drain all their nook miles into going every time.
For me mostly, I'm going to use the islands to collect various resources and I mean I'm going to just DIY hunt and look for the special Islands.

Not really. I was sad about it at first but then realised i have a 2nd character so i can go twice a day

Back